How can I get PC TV on my Galaxy Note 10.1 to work?

vanhool

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
pctv on galaxy note 10.1

Hi, first time on this forum ,looks interesting. have bought a pctv digital tuner for my note 10.1 (web site indicates tested ok but adapter req"d ) have bought two different adapters and still can't get it to work, says device not found, checked device ok by trying it on windows laptop, worked fine. first adapter i thought may be just wired for charging so bought a data usb to micro usb using existing samsung cable , device not found. Am i missing something simple as pctv help is in Germany .thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: pctv on galaxy note 10.1

The adapter is made to work with a driver on the device it's connected to, and that would be a Windows device. There's probably no Android driver - the manufacturer of the adapter would have to write one - (and Android probably can't receive video through its USB port), so it's not going to work on an Android tablet.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: pctv on galaxy note 10.1

Is this the model that's supposed to work with Android? (I'm guessing it is, but since you didn't specify model, I have to ask). In theory you shouldn't need an OTG adapter since this thing has one in already, but if you're trying to use the full USB one, then you'd need an OTG adapter, and what's more, you'd probably need a POWERED OTG USB adapter (your tablet cannot output enough power for some devices, like hard drives, etc., so you have to connect an external power source for these to work). Again,not sure if the full-USB ones work with Android, the only ones I've seen that do work with tablets and their app is the one that is already microUSB.

Like Rukbat said, for the 'full USB' one chances are you need a driver for it to work, and those are usually Windows'.

vanhool

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
thanks for quick replies, this is a pctv digital tuner for android, have downloaded the app,bought the adapter lead and should be up and running but its not. the adapter sits between the existing samsung lead and the micro usb plug of the tuner, shows as been tested on samsung galaxy note 10.1

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's the part that has me wondering... which adapter do you have? The Android version of PCTV is already MicroUSB, it should fit into your tablet's port without an adapter.

vanhool

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
cable for note 10.1 has the large samsung connector with usb on other end , have used USB 2.0 A Female to Micro USB B 5 Pin Female F/F Data Adapter Convertor to connect to pctv micro usb plug

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Could you specify the exact model of your PCTV dongle? Again, the ones that are supposed to be compatible with Android should already be microUSB so you should be able to just plug into the tablet's microUSB port. I don't understand what you mean by 'large Samsung connector'... Other than some USB 3 ports on a couple devices, Samsung has been using microUSB for quite a while.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah, then you have the older Note 10.1, not the 2014 model (that one shipped with microUSB port). Not sure the manufacturer tested with that tablet though. Have you tried the PCTV on any other Android devices with microUSB port? In theory you'd only need the OTG adapter, but since this is a 30-pin port, not sure if there is a direct converter or if it works for the PCTV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz