Turn Off or at least disable

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Why can't I turn off or at least disable Flipboard on the 10.1 2014? I went into app manager > running > Flipboard and the "turn off" button is grayed out.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
You can uninstall or disable it if you root your tablet. As for why you can't disable it without rooting it, the simple answer is because Samsung doesn't want you to disable it.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You can uninstall or disable it if you root your tablet. As for why you can't disable it without rooting it, the simple answer is because Samsung doesn't want you to disable it.

Which flies in the face of Google giving us the ability to disable unwanted apps. Flipboard and Evernote are useless to me yet I still need to allow them to update and accept all their permissions if I don't want to continually see their update pending.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That's odd because I was able to turn off flip board on my Note 4. I agree that it is so annoying to update an app I don't want to use. Unfortunately, I am not a rooter..... I do use Evernote so fine with that.

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
That's odd because I was able to turn off flip board on my Note 4. I agree that it is so annoying to update an app I don't want to use. Unfortunately, I am not a rooter..... I do use Evernote so fine with that.

I guess that means that Samsung changed its mind about Flipboard when it released the Note 4. If they did indeed change their mind this could mean that Flipboard can be disabled in the lollipop update which should be coming soon.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Moshe, good point. I guess I forget that the Note 10.1 was released so long ago (much older than Note 4) as its brand new to me in the last week. Not a big fan of Lollipop based on what I have seen, read and heard complaints of. I have been delaying the install of it to my Note 4 for over a month now! Thanks for you help!

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Android is not the problem.... Its ROOTING... If Samsung would unleash the tablet and run pure Android (no rooting), it would be a blessing to all... But rooting is specifically product oriented and about the money...

Dale

Moshe Barash

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Android is not the problem.... Its ROOTING... If Samsung would unleash the tablet and run pure Android (no rooting), it would be a blessing to all... But rooting is specifically product oriented and about the money...

Dale

No offense, but I don't think you know what rooting is. The term rooting refers to the action of gaining superuser access in a UNIX or UNIX based system. Rooting is not product oriented and has nothing to do with money. Also, stock Android can be rooted. I think that you may be referring to the OEM skin which is controversial as to whether or not it benefits users.

Dale_M

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I missspoke....Maybe I should have uses "OEM Skin", but I did not know the phrase.... Was thinking that the "skin" was a Samsung controlled restricted "root" ... And "rooting" broke Samsung version and replaced with internet availabel root module...

One would think that playing with these system for over 30 years I would have done my research better and had terminology correct.... I guess its part of getting old....

Dale

Last edited:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I missspoke....Maybe I should have uses "OEM Skin", but I did not know the phrase.... Was thinking that the "skin" was a Samsung controlled restricted "root" ... And "rooting" broke Samsung version and replaced with internet availabel root module...

One would think that playing with these system for over 30 years I would have done my research better and had terminology correct.... I guess its part of getting old....

Dale
No worries Dale, we know you meant well!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781