Galaxy 10.1 2014 problem with battery

shmget

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to replace my old battery, which at first I thought was having problems. It seemed like I was getting about the normal amount of screen time on it, but then my son ran a game for about 15 minutes on the tablet. It had about 80% charge, then shut down and had no charge in that amount of time.

I ordered a replacement battery, which initially worked well, then it wouldn't charge properly. I've been reading the forums, and have done the following:

1) Replaced battery
2) Replaced charger (with Genuine Samsung)
3) Replaced charging cable.
4) Replaced USB connector assembly w/ribbon cable (in case it was the connector)

I did find in these forums about the cracked battery connector problems. I also tried resoldering, but not sure how to do it. I do have the tools to resolder. I tried heating each of the 6 pins up with the battery disconnected, and applying a small amount of solder. This is on the side with the connector.

The new battery now will not charge, but when I plug the tablet in, if I push on the connector, the screen flickers from dim to bright. When I put the old battery back in, everything was great, for a few days.

Now I'm getting the same problem with it not charging right. I pressed on the back cover of the tablet, and now it is charging right.

My question to the forum is this: Should I try resoldering with more solder again? Do I need to remove the motherboard and solder on the underside? I have a magnifying glass, but couldn't see if the solder pads were on the top side of the connector, or if it is a "through-hole" where the actual solder pad is on the bottom of the board. I'm thinking now that maybe the other battery isn't bad, and one of the wires in the white connector was loose. I'm going to see if I can tighten them up and maybe the new battery isn't the problem. It seems to me like I'm still fighting an issue with the battery connector on the mainboard. Does this make sense?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The battery connector is surface mounted, no need to remove the mainboard to do the re solder work. I am not sure how well your skill of soldering, but to make sure reheat it again with solder flux.
1- You may need to resolder the black male battery connector again but try the white female connector first.
2- Make sure to fix the female white battery connector with 6 wires, loose connection also is the source of problem

Read this post to understand how they are connected and fix the loose connection
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...screen-flickering-problems-4.html#post4549435

Samsung uses silver conductive glue to fix this loose connection. Try to fix it first before resoldering your battery connector.
Silver Conductive Glue.jpg

Last edited:

shmget

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't use flux the first time, just solder with a fine tipped iron. I don't get screen flickering or anything else like that, so while I will try using flux, I don't think the connector on the board is the issue.

The conductive glue sounds like a good idea. That connector doesn't really look like it makes great contact. Do you apply the glue on the pins on the motherboard connector, then a little dab in the female connector as well?

If I use the conductive glue, will I be able to get the connector off in the future if needed?

shmget

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
One other thing I noticed is that if I enable the "keep alive" developer option, I can get the tablet to fast charge at about 1200-1500mAh (according to battery apps). If I shut the keep alive option off, as soon as the tablet goes to sleep plugged in, the screen comes back on and the battery icon shows not charging.

I'm almost thinking now that I don't have a battery issue, there is something wrong with the hardware.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
If I use the conductive glue, will I be able to get the connector off in the future if needed?
That is the way Samsung fix loose battery connection, it'll a little hard to disconnect the battery but I have to wiggle a to take out the connector.
I notice they are using this glue recently instead of cutting the plastic off and solder 4 wires ( 2 possitive: red wires, 2 negative: black wires ) directly to the pins of black battery connector ( they did when a tablet returned for RMA ).
However, you don't need to use conductive glue, just adjust the opening tips closer, they will make good contact .
I was able to bring some dead of bad batteries, assumed to be dead or bad by someone, to life by fixing the connector.

Fix Battery.jpg

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Now I'm getting the same problem with it not charging right. I pressed on the back cover of the tablet, and now it is charging right.
Obvious your battery connector don't make good solid connection: one battery is charging, other is not: your female battery connector is the problem.
Both batteries are the same, your black male battery connector has cracked solder joints, need to be re soldered.
I usually fix both connectors as the female connector is making loose contact if it's disconnected so often, male connector tends to crack due to flexibility of Samsung tablets ( mainboard and the frame sit on top of the LCD ).

Last edited: