Stuck on SAMSUNG after attempt cache wipe

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Sooo this happened. hubby wanted to open the case back up to check connections. could not find the tool that we had from the battery change, that we used last month to add some solder, so he tried to use an exacto knife. Tried very carefully........ then... crrraackkk. the $#%& screen cracked. arghhhhh!

i love this tablet, but after looking into us doing the screen replace, seemed too intense. UbreakIfix wants $275 to do it. Nuts to put that much money into a 3 year device that has issues.

What I wound up doing is buying a brand new one, sealed box, full warranty. Decent price. Wish Samsung would have offered an update of the Note, but they did not.

If i factory reset this and sell 'as is' for parts, etc, what would anybody guess i could get for it?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You can get an used one around $200 off Ebay.
Last week I got a 32gb Wifi , having sound at start but no display, for nearly $99. My best guess it probably just has a loose LCD cable. Indeed i am correct, after reseating the LCD cable, the display works normally.
Your tablet can sell for at least $100 as someone might need a working mainboard. I do all the time, like buying a Note 605V with broken display from Verizon, swap the mainboard to a 607T from T Mobile with a working display to get a full functional 605V tablet.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
ughh dammit, credit card, did not think of that.

oh well the die is cast. i bought a brand new one sealed with full warranty for $337 will have it tuesday.

then i guess reset old one. hmmm question, old one is rooted, im guessing reset will reset it still rooted? or not?

if i put it on ebay, I should say rooted, cracked screen, works but may have issues? or should i leave that out?

i guess do the reset first and see what it looks like?

may be one of those meant to be things... *sigh*

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
You can get an used one around $200 off Ebay.
Last week I got a 32gb Wifi , having sound at start but no display, for nearly $99. My best guess it probably just has a loose LCD cable. Indeed i am correct, after reseating the LCD cable, the display works normally.
Your tablet can sell for at least $100 as someone might need a working mainboard. I do all the time, like buying a Note 605V with broken display from Verizon, swap the mainboard to a 607T from T Mobile with a working display to get a full functional 605V tablet.

you are wayyyy more advanced in this hardware stuff. too bad you dont live around the corner. my husband is pretty mechanically oriented, but switching screens and motherboards on tablets, phones, etc, are a bit beyond his scope. He is better with servos in rc airplanes :)

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I used to work with laptops which take almost haft hour to do disassembly, different sizes of screw to remember. Samsung tablets are so simple, only few screws and almost identical in different tablets. Taking out the main board and swap with another one only take 10 minutes. Anyone knows how to fix laptop will see Samsung tablet is a piece of cake.
I now have around 10 of the Samsung Note 2014, LTE and Wifi, all are fixed and working, none I bought cost me more than $130.Samsung tablets are very easy to fix because most of the problem comes from battery connector, but unfortunately not everyone knows how to solder.

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You should flash back the original ROM. When sell on Ebay, you should list its true conditions, otherwise a buyer will return with your own cost. You have to issue a shipping label paid by you to the buyer and Ebay will immediately put the payment on hold until the issue resolve.
Ebay or Amazon always are on the buyer side, so hiding any defect will not help at all, because you have to pay for the return shipping cost.
I quit selling on Ebay because they take 10% of whatever final sale price, and in order to compete with other sellers, you have to offer free shipping.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I now have around 10 of the Samsung Note 2014, LTE and Wifi,

what do you possibly do with 10 of these? :)

So are you confirming that after I do a reset, it will still be rooted and I should flash it back to the original rom? Hmm guess I need to re find that info on how to do that.

Can you be so kind as to point me in the right direction to unroot my note?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't know exactly your model , but search sammobile.Com for your firmware, download and flash by odin, it will return to official state.
This is the firmware for Wifi model SM-P600, instruction also is on the page
Download firmware: P600UEUDPH3_P600XARDPH3_XAR - SamMobile
Notice the last there characters of the firmware: PH3
Based on alphabetical order:
P= 16 or 2016
H= 8 or August
So this is the version 3, released on August 2016, the latest firmware for this SM-P600 wifi.
You only need Power+ Volume Down ( next to Power button ) , then Volume Up to acess Download mode ( Odin Mode ).

Download Mode.jpg
It takes only around 3 minutes to complete , this is an example of a Note Pro 12.2

BACK TO OH2.JPG

After you're done, come back to Download Mode to verify its status is Official
or Settings-->About device-->Status, Device status should show Official

Official Status.jpg

I sell Samsung tablets locally via Craigslist, slow but I don't lose any fee from Paypal, Ebay, plus shipping cost.
I do it just for fun, I own many Samsung tablets but they cost me nothing. Last month, I bought 2 Note P605V for only $100, fixed them, sold one for $220, make a profit of $120 and get one for free.

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Sooo this happened. hubby wanted to open the case back up to check connections. could not find the tool that we had from the battery change, that we used last month to add some solder, so he tried to use an exacto knife. Tried very carefully........ then... crrraackkk. the $#%& screen cracked. arghhhhh!
If only the touchscreen gets cracked, your tablet is still usable. I have one too, bought a tempered glass from China ( $8 ) to cover the touchscreen, then the cracks won't bother my finger. This Note Pro 907A I bought only $120, use it for testing parts.

Cracked Touchscreen.jpg

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If only the touchscreen gets cracked, your tablet is still usable. I have one too, bought a tempered glass from China ( $8 ) to cover

i did order the tempered glass screen, but then decided to splurge and just buy a new one because of the other random issues it was having.

thanks for the flash info. My new one arrives Tuesday, after i get it set up and working, i'll tackle the flash back to official of the old one. hmmm since you do this any way, wanna buy my old one? i''ll pay for the shipping. :) , just a thought.

thanks

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Sure no problem, when buying a problem tablet I have to do a guessing game if the mainboard is fixable. If I failed to fix it, at least I can get a working LCD as both rarely fail at the same time. Yours has a problem of both, but I try anyway. just for fun.
This is an example of my gambling. Either dead mainboard or LCD, I still win. Both are dead, I still get other parts, not much loss. My best luck if the LCD assembly is working and in great shape.

Note 2014.JPG

You can try to resolder the battery connector as you cannot see its hairline cracks without microscope. Unplug and plug in the battery again can solve the issue of charging because the white battery connector might make a good contact with pins of black battery connector. Here is the case of not charging, two cables on the left have no contact

Bad Contact.jpg

When plug back, it might have a good contact again like this

Good Contac.jpg

This issue can fix easily by adjusting the tips of battery cable closer

Fix Battery.jpg

You might see this issue again with your new Note 2014 as this is a flaw in all Samsung tablets, not seriously catching fire like the Galaxy Note 7 phone. However, intermittent charging, overheating, auto reboot, auto shutdown, battery capacity fluctuation...etc....all come from battery connectors, but the majority of problems is the black battery connector with hairline cracks.
I know Samsung is well aware of this issue but how can they sell new models if you tablet lasts forever and doesn't break after 1 year warranty period.

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Finally I am able to bring OS back to your tablet by using a custom ROM because it failed with the official firmware. Flashed it with TWRP to make this tablet accessible via Odin.
Then I flashed with official firmware to bring it to official status, however, the Knox Warranty Void still be 1. This is OK as it's not in warranty anyway.
Custom .jpg
Knox Warranty.jpg
Officail Status.jpg

I will monitor its working conditions in a few days, then send back to you if everything is OK. The battery connector is fixed as well the USB port flex replaced as it loose and doesn't take charge.The screen is covered with tempered glass so it will be smooth to the finger as if the screen has no cracks.

Last edited:

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have been using your tabet for over 1 hour and don't see any issues you're having.
I can positive rule out software problems and test it one more day, probably I will send your tablet back on Wednesdays
Your battery connector looked very solid even with a close up like this.

Sat Oct 29 18-19-42.jpg

However, pushing it gently it moved, that the way I can tell it has hairline cracks under the surface. After fixing it, your tablet works normally now without a hitch

Last edited:

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So exciting! People, listen to Beut , he is very wize and knows more about these tablets that any techs out there including the ones at samsung.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae