Grey area and battery issue on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)

sylvantrails

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) tablet that I loved. It did what I wanted how I wanted it and it had a good sized screen. I purchased it refurbished off of eBay a couple years ago. It is a T-Mobile tablet, if that matters, but I have not activated it on any network, though, I was sort of contemplating setting it up on TracFone once I got it back.

A few weeks ago, the battery stopped charging. There may or may not have been a drop near this time frame, I'm not 100% sure, anymore. I did some research to the symptoms, and figured it was probably old enough that it was just a dying/dead battery. I was also not confident enough in my repair skills, so I took it in to a shop to get fixed.

First, because I took it in with only 35% charge left, the guy didn't do a full diagnostic on it...just assumed, like I did, that it was a dead battery. Then, they got the wrong battery, then a couple other issues came up with corporate...and, so, it was nearly 2 weeks before they got the battery replaced.

And then they called and asked "was there a dark spot on the screen along with the dead battery"...ugh... um...no. Screen was fine.

So, since they didn't do a diagnostic on it, they replaced the screen on their dime. Possibly twice, that's a little fuzzy.

I finally get the tablet back today and it still has the screen issue...AND the battery doesn't show it's charging, it shows a red "x" over the battery icon, but it does charge ...very ... slowly ... (Just to be clear, they told me it still had the screen issue when I picked it up, they also did not charge me for it. They also asked if it charged slowly, but I didn't realize HOW slowly, and I don't think they said the battery still showed the red "x" over it.)

I've tried different charging cords, including Samsung OEM cords. I've tried different wall chargers. It doesn't even register that there is a cord attached immediately, and, when it does, it charges slowly while showing a red "x" through the battery icon.

Any recommendations for what might be wrong? With either issue. Are they related?

Is it time for me to replace the tablet? If so, is there something similar that y'all would recommend? I use it for a lot of different things...reading books, surfing the 'net, playing games (primarily Candy Crush Soda Saga). I LIKE the fine pen, though I don't use it nearly as much as I had planned. I prefer the larger screen, and I want to stick with Android.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Based on your description, I see that the guy at the repair shop doesn't know how to fix a Samsung tablet.
1- Dead battery, probably not as the new one is the same. This problem comes from a cracked battery connector, and it need to be resoldered. Most repair guys don't know this issue and how to fix it.
2- Dark spot on the LCD, it could be the cable is not seated properly Reseat the LCD cable on both connectors, one from LCD and one from mainboard.

sylvantrails

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Beut, THANK YOU for the information, I appreciate it.

Waiting to hear from a couple of tech guys I know to see if either of them can help me with the soldering...that's not a skill I have acquired. Once I hear from one of them about possibly helping me with the soldering, I'll see if I can fix it myself (or, well, with help! :lol ).

I hope I can fix this tablet, it's done me good, and the new one (the Samsung Galaxy Tab A that just came out today) isn't enough of a step up to make it worth changing to.

sylvantrails

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Based on your description, I see that the guy at the repair shop doesn't know how to fix a Samsung tablet.
1- Dead battery, probably not as the new one is the same. This problem comes from a cracked battery connector, and it need to be resoldered. Most repair guys don't know this issue and how to fix it.

Looking at the USB charger connector, there is actually a broken corner in there, so I've got a new one coming. Should be here on Tuesday.

2- Dark spot on the LCD, it could be the cable is not seated properly Reseat the LCD cable on both connectors, one from LCD and one from mainboard.

Tried this fix, myself...several times. no good. Could the LCD cable be bad? What else could it be? I have not had a chance to mirror the screen on an HDMI screen... a) the screen is in use ;) and b) the USB port is broke, as I just mentioned above.

I do have a replacement Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) tablet on order, but if I could get this one back to working, I would prefer it, as the replacement is WiFi only and this one is a T-Mobile that I had been contemplating activating. Plus, the challenge of getting it back to working has been interesting... (plus, the funds back from not needing a replacement would be very nice...)

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The screen mirror image will be perfect because the ouput is from mainboard, you can try new lcd cable. I had one that dark spots are worse than yours, reseat the cable then the display comes back normal. Worst case of loose LCD cable is a black screen.

Last edited:

sylvantrails

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can guess...I'M FIXED!

New LCD ribbon cable, new USB dock ribbon cable and...I'M UP AND RUNNING AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL! No grey spots, no trickle charging. We're back in business!

sylvantrails

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Ooorrr...not. :(

Screen is fixed.

Plug the charger into the charging port, it shows charging for 30 seconds to a minute...long enough for the screen to go off, then, it loses the charger. Comes on and the battery indicator has nothing on it. :(

Brand new battery. I have checked, double checked, and triple checked, that all bits and pieces are plugged in properly.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I believe you need to have the battery connector resoldered, a new battery will not fix this problem.
I just got a look like new Galaxy Tab S 10.5, 32gb, for only $160, the battery icon showed a few seconds then off. I know exactly what is causing it.
After 10 minutes of rework on the battery connector, problem solved. This is a different Samsung tablet but similar problem with identical connector.

0dfkyddr7j9a4di6g.jpg

Last edited:

sylvantrails

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Ok. I'm about to give up for the night.

1a. the attachment posted did not come through. 1b. my eyes are such that seeing to do any soldering ain't happening, especially fine soldering. That's something I'd need to find a professional to do...if it comes to that.

2. Chatted with Samsung Technical Support. They suspect it is a software issue. I did another factory reset of the tablet. That didn't work.

3. Called T-Mobile technical support (it's a T-Mobile tablet, though never activated on the T-Mobile network). The guy walked me through the power/volume down reboot thing. I get the "Custom ROM install" thing. (Sorry, don't have the exact wording in front of me...) The "this may have been rooted" thing. Which *I* have not done. T-Mobile can't help me anymore.

4. Did some searching on here and found the download KIES (KEIS?, sorry, tired, ready to give up for the night...) information. Downloaded it to my Windows 10 laptop, followed the instructions, plug tablet into the USB port and....

5. Get the "the USB device malfunctioned, Windows doesn't recognize" blather. Researched THAT, updated USB drivers on my computer and STILL get the same notice. Powered the computer down, unplugged it, took the battery out and...no go. Still doesn't recognize it.

Not sure what to do from here. I may just give up on it soon, as I have a replacement coming and other things I should be doing with my time, instead. Not sure how much more money to invest in fixing it, either. Just getting frustrated.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Make sure your USB port flex properly seated and usb, charger are in working order.
One tool can help of not guessing: USB voltage and current detector ( around $6 ). I see many users send tablet for service and they find out the problem is from cable or charger.
Your problem is not software issue, don't try anything as it's not related. Samsung tech support is useless with hardware issue and they have no idea what to do with it as they're not service techs. These guys only know some basic troubleshooting and the first thing they tell you is Factory Reset, then next is sending for service.

Problems like yours I have fixed too many, believe me or not it's up to you. Time will tell if I'm correct.
A rework doesn't cost much as it takes only 10 minutes and they're told what to do. You only need someone who knows how to solder, not necessarily knows how to repair a tablet?

Last edited:

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Following your issues, just one bit if advice, LISTEN TO BEUT! He knows what he is talking about better than any tech you will find at Samsung or Mobile.

I hope you get some Success, but BEUT he is a genius with this stuff.

sylvantrails

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Beut...do you do repairs? :) (no, seriously, do you? how much do you charge? are you in the US? ...pm me... )

Alternatively,

Can you explain in simple terms...I am somewhat technically literate, but this is getting beyond my skill set. I am willing to learn, but need more detail.

How does a USB voltage and current detector work? (I mean, I've got a vague idea how it works, but...details, man! ;) Recommendations for a good one (probably from Amazon as I can't find one in stores, apparently.)

Close up shot and not-so-close up shot of what needs to be soldered... an example of a broken one and a repaired one would be cool.

I HAVE been looking for this information, truly I have. I can't find it. Some good search terms would be helpful.

All of the cables we've been using are Samsung cables. Though it WAS working with an LG wall charger/cable for the longest time...like just about since I got it (all in one unit, not separate wall charger and plug). It WAS working with whatever wall plug I used, as long as it has the required 5v.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
This tool is the one you need:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...12-2-smp-900-will-not-charge.html#post5422501
- Current should be around 1.7 Amp, voltage should be around 5 volts. Any reading lower than 1.7 Amps, there should be something is not working
like USB cable, charger, USB port, battery connectors. Test in respectively order I can find the source problem of not charging within 10 minutes.
- Start from easy part like cable, charger, then USB port flex ( I only need to swap a know working one to see any difference) .
- The most difficult part is battery connector, most people don't know how to inspect solder joints of battery connector and it requires experiences
to see if they are bad or good. It's beyond the reach of everyone as you need a microscope to do the re solder work.

Right now I still not clear what problem you are facing ? Battery is not charging ?
When this tablet is off and connected to a charger, press the HOME button, it should show a flashing green battery icon

sylvantrails

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Right now I still not clear what problem you are facing ? Battery is not charging ?
When this tablet is off and connected to a charger, press the HOME button, it should show a flashing green battery icon

When the tablet is on, I plug the charger in. The charging indicator at the top shows that it is charging for a few seconds...up to maybe 30 seconds or so. Then the battery indicator stops showing that it is charging. Usually just the green battery indicator at that point...like it is no longer attached to a charger...even though nothing has been moved or anything. Prior to replacing the USB port, it would constantly show a red "X" across the battery.

It seems to be charging somewhat normal if it is powered off, though I haven't actually used it all that much so I can't confirm it for sure. I did go from 86% to full power yesterday with the power off.

Until the charging issue, it on a lot. It lived on my bedstand as an alarm. As a book. As my storefront to tell me if I had a sale on Amazon or eBay...and I could then pull the item while I was in the room...didn't have to go to my computer, pull the item up to see which it was, then go pull the item. Played games on it all the time (who doesn't?). Took notes at meetings.

Having to turn it off to charge it is not an acceptable option...I use it way too much. Hence my contemplating activating it instead of relying on WiFi all the time. Hence my trying to fix THIS one, instead of using the one that comes tomorrow.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You need the tool I mention, it will tell if your tablet is charging or not by the charging current, around 1.7 Amps
USB Power Charger Current Voltage Detector Tester Monitor Meter for Phone Tablet | eBay
It doesn't matter on or off, when plugged in it should be charged, especially when on because the tablet is consuming power.
There is no guessing with this tool. Like this one, a part is not working, current is only 0.64 Amp
1.jpg
I will swap part one by one until I get normal 1.7 Amp, that the way repair techs do to find problem.
With all working parts available, I will find the source of problem within 10 minutes.
This Note is sold as dead but I bring it to life after working on it in 15 minutes. Your problem is not serious. it can be fixed easily.
Note 2014.JPG

Last edited:

sylvantrails

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
My replacement tablet came yesterday. I had ordered a replacement, but, the best price and vendor feedback was for a tablet that said WiFi only. Since I had been contemplating activating mine, the WiFi only was a major annoyance, but I also wanted one that I could afford and that was from a reliable seller. Hence my trying to fix my T-Mobile tablet.

So, it came yesterday. And...it's a Verizon tablet! It's not WiFi only! And, it works. No problems. And....it has a *5 year* warranty. (Who puts a 5 year warranty on refurbished electronics?!)

So, I'm going to wind up listing the T-Mobile as is on eBay soon. Yes, I'll go into detail about exactly what's wrong with it. I'm very good at describing issues, when there are any.

I do truly, sincerely appreciate your help Beut. I would not have been able to fix the screen issue without it, and I would not have been able to narrow down what the charging issue was without it.

I may still order the Voltage detector, as the tablet didn't actually charge on my bedside overnight...it DID on my charger brick in the morning, no problems, but, apparently, I need to figure out what the right combination of charging plug, cable, and outlet is. And then, get rid of all of the non-working stuff so none of us accidentally try to use it. :D

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Verizon (605V ) and TMobile ( 607T ) are identical tablets except bootloader is locked and software customized to provider.
They are identical so defective problem is the same. If you like, send it to me and I will do the troubleshooting but the source of problem is already in my head what is wrong with this tablet. I can change SM-P605V to SM-P607T , SM-P601 or vice versa with ease as only the mainboard and back cover needed to be swapped. Unless mainboard is defective, your tablet's problem can be fixed within 10 minutes.
The SM-P605V you bought can use with T Mobile if it's unlocked. You can test it with a micro SIM of your phone, nano SIM is fine but it needs an adapter. However, APN ( Access Point Name ) must be set for TMobile network, otherwise the tablet won't find the server.
I test all Verizon 605V I bought just using AT&T nano SIM from my Iphone.

Last edited:

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If you like, send it to me and I will do the troubleshooting but the source of problem is already in my head what is wrong with this tablet. I can change SM-P605V to SM-P607T , SM-P601 or vice versa with ease as only the mainboard and back cover needed to be swapped. Unless mainboard is defective, your tablet's problem can be fixed within 10 minutes.

You should definitely take Beuts up on his suggestion. He is a wizard and I have every confidence he will fix your issues 100% . I wish I had waited to buy a replacement, as my old one is now back from Beut , better than ever. The man is a tablet whisperer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax