Do you think the Note 10.1 will allow for better productivity?

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I just recently bought a Nexus 7, and I love the little thing and I thought I would be able to use it for college - typing up my notes with a Bluetooth keyboard while being able to doodle on it too. Currently, I use my MacBook to take notes and pieces of paper whenever I need to sketch something out. However, I would like a more unified approach to taking notes. I thought I would be able to do this on my Nexus 7, but I found it difficult to find a really good app that would allow me to type my notes while being able to sketch. And then I thought about the fact that I wouldn't be able to write little notes (with a stylus) about sketches without my hand getting in the way because of the screen. I heard that the Note 10.1 came out and I knew that it used the S Pen. I'm just trying to think if this will be really beneficial to unifying my note taking process. I also searched my textbooks on Kno and lo and behold they actually have them! That's really good because most of the time, I actually hate marking up my textbooks even though I really should, but it looks like it might be helpful to me, even though this is my last quarter as an undergrad student. I tried the S Pen out on the demo Note 10.1 at Best Buy and I really like the fact that it recognizes the amount of pressure I put on the pen and the result is really close to my actual handwriting.

Any suggestions on why I should/should not get the Note 10.1? Any suggests for apps that I could use for my Nexus 7 that would do me good in place of buying a Note 10.1?

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Do you think the Note 10.1 will allow for better productivity

No decent apps for the Nexus 7. It was not made to ink and type notes. Not to mention the screen is too small. I have a Nexus 7 but only to read on. I have replaced all of my Windows tablets and replaced with yhe Note. I have Kno and will be using it at college next week. Samsung is releasing a keyboard dock for the Note soon which will give it laptop capability. I will probably sell my Nexus 7. I have not turned it on since I got my Note 2 weeks ago. Dont waste your time trying to use the Nexus 7 for college, it wasnt designed for that. You will be blown away at how much you can do on the Note. View and annotate PDF's, Word, PowerPoint and take notes while doing internet research all on the same screen. Get it, I would recommend the 32GB just for storage sake. I had a 16GB and I replaced with yhe 32GB.

Reactions: Peaches36

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site

I have both the Nexus 7 and the Note 10.1. The Nexus is an awesome little device for entertainment purposes like reading, watching movies, Facebook, etc...just as it was designed for. It was never meant to be a productivity tool, Google built it around the Play Store for the reasons above. The Note 10.1 is an awesome device, I picked up the 16GB and popped in an SD card since I save everything on the SD cards, I didn't see any reason to get the 32GB for my purposes. The hand writing on it is fantastic and I've been waiting for somethign like this for a very long time. I tried other "hand writing" apps on other tablets and used some stylus/pen to use them, but they ALL lagged really bad, were not precise and every time I tried to dot an i or make a period, it would never register. With the Note, it's sensitive and the best part is, you can make it only detect the pen during writing so that if/when your palm hits against the screen while writing it will not register it and make a whole bunch of marks all over your note you are taking...this is a HUGE plus. As for typing, the virtual keyboard is really nice and it's as close to a physical keyboard as you can get on screen.

I tried the "formula" writing and it works really well, if I hand write a math problem it will convert it to a typed version so it's neater than my hand writing. Also highlighting text in PDF's with the S-Pen is really great too, more precise then using a finger to do it.

Reactions: J HighNote

aNard

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site

I have both the Nexus 7 and the Note 10.1. The Nexus is an awesome little device for entertainment purposes like reading, watching movies, Facebook, etc...just as it was designed for. It was never meant to be a productivity tool, Google built it around the Play Store for the reasons above. The Note 10.1 is an awesome device, I picked up the 16GB and popped in an SD card since I save everything on the SD cards, I didn't see any reason to get the 32GB for my purposes. The hand writing on it is fantastic and I've been waiting for somethign like this for a very long time. I tried other "hand writing" apps on other tablets and used some stylus/pen to use them, but they ALL lagged really bad, were not precise and every time I tried to dot an i or make a period, it would never register. With the Note, it's sensitive and the best part is, you can make it only detect the pen during writing so that if/when your palm hits against the screen while writing it will not register it and make a whole bunch of marks all over your note you are taking...this is a HUGE plus. As for typing, the virtual keyboard is really nice and it's as close to a physical keyboard as you can get on screen.

I tried the "formula" writing and it works really well, if I hand write a math problem it will convert it to a typed version so it's neater than my hand writing. Also highlighting text in PDF's with the S-Pen is really great too, more precise then using a finger to do it.

This is pretty important to me. I'm considering to upgrade my galaxy tab 10.1 to a note10.1 only for this: now i'm unable to take notes on my classes due to the capacitive screen, and the note would be perfect for this, but... in the videos i can see only people write with the hand over the display but not touching it physically exept for the S-Pen. Can you tell me how the palm rejection works? It is a software algorithm or there is an option to exclude any touch imput excepting the pen? How do you judge the overall writing experience? Thanks for your replies in advance :)

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

This is pretty important to me. I'm considering to upgrade my galaxy tab 10.1 to a note10.1 only for this: now i'm unable to take notes on my classes due to the capacitive screen, and the note would be perfect for this, but... in the videos i can see only people write with the hand over the display but not touching it physically exept for the S-Pen. Can you tell me how the palm rejection works? It is a software algorithm or there is an option to exclude any touch imput excepting the pen? How do you judge the overall writing experience? Thanks for your replies in advance :)

Some of the apps that allow for palm reject use an algorithm to detect the stylus input versus someone's actual hand. Rest assured, you can use the S Pen like a normal pen and paper, with your hand laying on the screen of the Note 10.1 not disturbing the input of the S Pen. I would have to say that writing with the S Pen is the BEST experience I've had using a stylus with any tablet. The input is much more precise and the precision of the S Pen makes my handwriting look like my own handwriting. I've found that with other styli, my handwriting is vastly different than it is with an actual pen.

I think I'm gonna pick up a Note 10.1 today. I really like my Nexus 7 for media consumption like reading books, watching movies, playing games, listening to music - all mainly because of it's ultra portability. I can stick the thing in my pocket! But for my classes, I'm looking forward to using the Note 10.1.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

With the Note, it's sensitive and the best part is, you can make it only detect the pen during writing so that if/when your palm hits against the screen while writing it will not register it and make a whole bunch of marks all over your note you are taking...this is a HUGE plus. As for typing, the virtual keyboard is really nice and it's as close to a physical keyboard as you can get on screen.

Thank you very much for this information. I have the original Galaxy Note and dearly love using the S pen to write. I turn it to landscape position because when the side of my hand hits one of the buttons, a search pops up. Or, if my hand touches the screen while I'm writing it can leave a mark, although it's usually not a big deal. I wondered how hard it would be to write on a large screen and still keep my hand away. NONE of the reviewers mentioned it. I really appreciate knowing that it wouldn't be an issue.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

I played with one at best buy today a d wrote like I would on a piece of paper. Very impressed, it didn't pick up any marks from my hand being on it and like others said, it looked my own handwriting on paper. I wrote about 4 lines and loved it. Talked the boyfriend in to getting one for school and now I get to play with it too when it arrives.

davidsnoodles

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Thank you very much for this information. I have the original Galaxy Note and dearly love using the S pen to write. I turn it to landscape position because when the side of my hand hits one of the buttons, a search pops up. Or, if my hand touches the screen while I'm writing it can leave a mark, although it's usually not a big deal. I wondered how hard it would be to write on a large screen and still keep my hand away. NONE of the reviewers mentioned it. I really appreciate knowing that it wouldn't be an issue.

Yea, I absolutely we having the ability to write on my Note. Sometimes rather than typing I use the handwriting-to-text ability just because its fun! I actually wrote out this response!

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Yes, the palm rejection works great. To turn it on all you need to do is tap on the icon that looks like a pen at the top right corner of the note you are working on. This tells the note to only respond to the s-pen.

Reactions: J HighNote

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes, the palm rejection works great. To turn it on all you need to do is tap on the icon that looks like a pen at the top right corner of the note you are working on. This tells the note to only respond to the s-pen.

I bought the Note Tablet on Saturday had no idea exactly what that icon did even though the manual had a short description of all the icons. Thanks so much for letting me know about it. If it had gotten turned off and my Note started to pick up marks, I'd have been certain I'd broken something and ruined the sensitivity! I use the S Note so much, if the Tablet had the net and the Note capability, I'd have still felt it was worth the price. Thanks again.

Last edited:

mansouan

May 18, 2010
Visit site

A question about S-Note:

Can you have it record audio that is timestamped against what you are writing like MS OneNote?

If not, can you at least record audio at the same time as writing notes and does it show a time indicator so that you can manually make a note of the time in which something was mentioned that you did not fully capture?

Thanks in advance.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site

A question about S-Note:

Can you have it record audio that is timestamped against what you are writing like MS OneNote?

If not, can you at least record audio at the same time as writing notes and does it show a time indicator so that you can manually make a note of the time in which something was mentioned that you did not fully capture?

Thanks in advance.

I just tried it and yes, you can record while taking notes BUT when you play the audio back, it won't play the note being drawn out at the same time (kind of like a presentation). It does time stamp the audio but it won't time stamp it according to the note. In other words picture you have a tape recorder recording a lecture while you are taking notes on a notepad.

It will show a timer as it is recording so that you can mark it manually in the note as you go.

Reactions: mansouan

mansouan

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Thanks so much for trying this out and responding so quickly.

As a follow up, can it then be uploaded to Evernote (I know you can upload the notes, but can the audio recording be uploaded as well in the same note so that your ink is a pdf and the audio is a [...])?

Thanks again!