Galaxy Note 10.1: Not charging?

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I got my Note 10.1 yesterday. I immediately hooked up the USB cable to a port on my computer and left it for a while to charge. Based on the flashing icon on the screen, I believe that was working just fine. It came out of the box with what looked like around a 60% charge. It charged for a about 2 hours then I took it off, fired it up, and started playing with it. It was not at 100% charge, but it was pretty high.

This morning, I hooked it back to the same USB cable connected to my computer. The battery now shows 76% charge and it has a red X on it and the battery status is discharging. I.e. under Settings / Battery, it says "76% - Discharging".

Why is it not charging now, when I have it hooked to my PC?

I rebooted it and it came back up the same. My computer shows that it's connected. The Note status bar has the USB symbol and says it is connected as a media device.

Last edited by a moderator:

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Not charging?

Mine charges very slowly when connected to anything but the stock A/C brick, including my BlueLounge Refresh. My guess - the stock A/C brick delivers a higher than standard power output, much like the Nexus 7 A/C brick.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

I think that has something to do with it. I turned the screen off and let it sit for a bit. I just checked it and it has gone from 76% - Discharging to 80% - Discharging.

I'm guessing maybe charging over a PC USB port doesn't give enough juice to charge it and run the screen and WiFi all at the same time. :'(

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I think that has something to do with it. I turned the screen off and let it sit for a bit. I just checked it and it has gone from 76% - Discharging to 80% - Discharging.

I'm guessing maybe charging over a PC USB port doesn't give enough juice to charge it and run the screen and WiFi all at the same time. :'(

Exactly you need a power adapter that matches the stock one for it to charge at a decent rate

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site

You can't charge from the USB port of your PC, you need the plug. There just isn't enough power being put out from a standard USB port to charge the big battery.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The USB port on the computer may not be putting out the required voltage and amperage that is required for the device.

Unless the USB port is powered from AC, I doubt you are getting a good amperage throughput, as USB ports on any PC are a standard 5 volts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Not to get too tech on you, but ALL USB ports are 5 volts. Volts and Amperes are not the same thing. Not getting "good amperage" doesn't have any relation to the port being 5 volts.

But, you are correct that the problem appears to be my USB ports not supplying enough current (i.e. amps).

loyman1

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

You will not be able to use the USB cable supplied to charge the Tablet via computer with the tablet on. If you have the tablet on with the cable plugged into the computer, you will see a red X over the battery icon on the tablet. This means the battery will only drain but not enough power from computer to charge the tablet and use it at the same time. U can only charge the tablet plugged into the wall with the supplied adapter.

malkie0831

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Not charging?

A PC USB port has a maximum current of 0.5 amps available, sometimes even that small amount is shared with an adjacent USB port. This is plenty for keyboards and pen drives etc, but not enough to charge a phone or tablet.

To recharge the 7000mAh battery in your Note at 0.5 amps would take at least 14 hours even if the tablet was switched off. I think the supplied charger is a 1 amp device.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Being that the supplied cord is worthless being to short, I have the usb adapter, tried to plug a 6' usb to usb cord into the block and can't get it to charge.is there a setting I am missing? Or are we just stuck by Samsung on using this stupid cord

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

It is a similar issue as mentioned before. The power block that came with the tablet is 2.0 amps. The cable that comes with the tablet is probably long enough to allow the 2 amp charge.

A usb extension cable could lessen the charge, or be missing a pin altogether. It is no different than using an extension cord on a power hungry appliance. Unless you up the gauge of the wire in the extension cord, basic electrical resistance will lessen the operating voltage getting to the appliance. 6 feet may not seem like a lot, but when the wire is #24 or smaller, it doesn't give the ability to keep the proper amperage at the tip.

Another thing is that i have heard that samsung's usb cables may have a slightly different pin configuration, which would be weird, as there are only 4 contacts in a usb tip.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Being that the supplied cord is worthless being to short, I have the usb adapter, tried to plug a 6' usb to usb cord into the block and can't get it to charge.is there a setting I am missing? Or are we just stuck by Samsung on using this stupid cord

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

I think your problem is your USB adapter. If it's the adapter for letting you connect, say, an external hard drive, I suspect it just doesn't allow charging through that adapter. I bought a longer cable that has the Samsung dock connector on one end and it works fine.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

When I got a charger with my case it said 2.1a output. It's not a Samsung charger but it does charge just as fast as the Samsung one. I tried another one, a Hyperon battery/usb plug in charger with a usb port and the original Samsung usb to 30 pin connection cable and it will show the little red line across the battery icon but it will still trickle charge but it's VERY slow. I've misplaced my original Samsung one and have been looking at chargers and external battery packs. There are a lot of chargers out there on Amazon and such that say it'll work with the Note 10.1 but it's only 1.0a output. I'd stay clear of those and look for the 2.1a chargers.

AndroidvsOS

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

I believe this is to protect your USB from frying. USB ports usually run at 5 Volts but can give 0.5 Amps if I am not mistaken. The Galaxy needs a 2.0 A current, and if it tries to get this from your USB, it will probably cause damage to it. So this is a smart move to avoid burning it. The 0.5 A will be enough to run through your Galaxy as a USB drive to read your files.

Regards

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

There is lots of misdirection here. It isn't about cables or protecting ports or the size of battery or keeping the battery at full charge (a complete falsehood).

It is amperage. As has already been said, the tablet, like many phones these days, needs at least 2 amps to charge at the rate you are familiar with--or a reasonable rate. Your normal USB port doesn't get close to that many amps, which means painfully slow charge if at all. Lots of folks buy these generic charging adaptors and Car lighter adaptors with USB ports without checking for their output, and then they complain about the charging rate.

HygradeB

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

There is lots of misdirection here. It isn't about cables or protecting ports or the size of battery or keeping the battery at full charge (a complete falsehood).

It is amperage. As has already been said, the tablet, like many phones these days, needs at least 2 amps to charge at the rate you are familiar with--or a reasonable rate. Your normal USB port doesn't get close to that many amps, which means painfully slow charge if at all. Lots of folks buy these generic charging adaptors and Car lighter adaptors with USB ports without checking for their output, and then they complain about the charging rate.

Well said.

For those that want a longer charge cable dont extended the usb lead
A simple solution is to change the adapter that plugs into the mains with a standard mains lead the type that found on say an old portable tape deck or the type used on the new shape ps3

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Android Central Forums

krissyj14

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

I have a samsung galaxy 7.0 and whenever I charge it an x goes over the charging bar. Why is that? I plugged it intp the wall but it seems to not work. If I plug it, then it says 100% but it decreses in charge rapidly. It only seems to charge when I turn it off, but this only charges all the way sometimes. Please help.

HygradeB

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

Try slowly moving the charge usb both ends do it slow n softly you dont want to damage the cable jus check for breakage.
After a while charge cable can be come faulty

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Android Central Forums

George Pears

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site

Hi i am having the same problem with my note but it has been charging fine up till now. Ive had it since christmas. Although i dont connect it to a computer just a normal ac power supply. Now, when i plug it in the battery power is going down instead of up. I left it on charge for most of last night nd it still went down from about 20% to 4%. It was turned off. I really need someone to help please.:(