Sluggish according to some reviews

robcassman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It?s sometimes sluggish when moving between home screens or switching between apps, and it?s particularly problematic when you try to run two apps side-by side.
link

The concept is an excellent one in theory, but we found it a little slow swapping between two running apps, so it's not exactly instant.
A more pressing problem than looks is the fact that TouchWIZ appears to impact on performance. The Galaxy Note 10.1 isn't as sluggish in general use as Samsung's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, but it often feels a little laggy, even when performing basic tasks. This is especially evident in transitions between home screens, opening and closing the app draw and scrolling in the Web browser ? tasks that really shouldn't lag. This basic issue is even further compounded by the fact that we experienced no problems when playing graphically intense 3D games, such as the excellent Dead Trigger and Shadowgun 3 titles.
link

However, the TouchWiz interface seems sluggish at times. Scrolling through web pages also causes some stuttering. This isn't something you would expect from a device with a quad-core processor. The Samsung Galaxy S3, which only has a dual-core processor, runs noticeably smoother than the Galaxy Note 10.1
Samsun Galaxy Note 10.1 disappoints - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

I hope this is fixed with an update or else I won't buy one. I don't need to play games...but I can't stand spending so much money for a device that stutters performing simple tasks...

Robert

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
link

link

Samsun Galaxy Note 10.1 disappoints - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

I hope this is fixed with an update or else I won't buy one. I don't need to play games...but I can't stand spending so much money for a device that stutters performing simple tasks...

Robert

I've been using mine for a bit no and I have not found any of those problems. Split screen viewing is pretty quick, going from home screen to home screen is smooth, it does "snap" near the end as it it transitioning to the next screen but not lag. Scrolling in the web browser is smooth as well.

The Jelly bean update that is scheduled for release soon is going to make it much smoother. Again, no lags or stutter. This is a true multitasking device and there is a lot going on in the background along with the Wacom digitizer.

Reactions: robcassman

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
First, I'd hold off on judgement until you actually use one. I read the same reviews as you did last week. Second, you need to be careful about the sites you read reviews from. Most are pro-Apple and if it's not an iPad then it's junk.

Oh how I wish Android Central could step it up when it comes to reviewing new products, but I digress. MobileTech Review does excellent non-biased reviews. Check theirs out.

TouchWiz is not obtrusive and doesn't seem to get in the way on this tablet. They did a nice job putting it on top of ICS, without getting in it's own way.

I don't experience any sluggishness or lag when switching between apps. I do experience some choppiness in the browser when scrolling on certain, content heavy site. This is the first Android I have that probably won't end up on CraigsList (in a 10.1" form factor. Not getting rid of my N7 either). I've been waiting for an Android tablet done right, and I think this is it.

Nimocone

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I also don't experience any of the software problems described in other reviews. I must have gotten a great build because I don't have any flex in the back or creaks when picking it up or while purposely trying to make it happen. It's sad some reviewers can't try a couple if they get one with many flaws. One out of thousands shouldn't condem the line. I say if you like the specs, get it.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Mine occasionally lags or stutters. Mostly, as NickA described. But, again, it's only very occasional. Overall, it is way snappier than my TouchPad running CM9....

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
This tablet is much snappier than any I have owned.. touchpad with ICS, Sony tablet S, transformer...
I have not experienced any lag other than when i tried to open a 800MB pdf of a book.. someone decided to just scan every page of a textbook and call it an e book.... But i digress

The "poor build" as most call it is non-existent on mine or the one I got for my GF. It feels very sturdy more sturdy than the touchpad and well the tablet s felt like an angled brick so not as sturdy as that and it feels more comfortable in the hand than the transformer.

Touchwiz is almost non-existent.

Note taking is amazing on this thing and "7 note" is nice for writing to text but once you get used to the built in Samsung S note software for handwriting to text you will be pleased with it.

Resolution the big hype by all is BS. The screen is beautiful, bright, colorful, and vibrant. The resolution is not HD yes, but IMO the bigger icons and everything just make it so much easier to use especially when taking notes with an app called Papyrus(which is awesome). I don't want to have to squint when looking at my tablet...

My only gripe with this tablet is the current lack of accessories but that will soon change hopefully.

I have had my note since day one in the states, no force closes or random restarts or any problems at all once I learned how to use it. I have taken 15 plus pages of notes so far and love it and get comments every day from other students wanting to try it (senior in Computer Engineering so we are all tech nerds for the most part)

If you have any specific questions please ask and I and most likely others will try to answer.
:)

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Most of the reviews of the Note 10.1 have been absolutely abysmal :'(

IMO, like the Note 5.3 many reviewers have this "bee in their bonnett" about Samsung, and they barely even use the device for more than 30 minutes so you can't get a fair and objective assessment that's useful to anyone.

I would recommend, if you have the money, go purchase the device, try it for yourself in your world and environment. I stopped listening to reviews other than to pick up on little nuances about the software that I may otherwise overlook.

If I'm interested in a device I buy it, try it out, and if it works for me (regardless of what other people think) I keep it, and if it doesn't work for me (regardless of what other people think), I take it back.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree entirely with most everyone here. I don't buy a tablet to watch HD movies on. If I want that, I will spend 500.00 on an HDTV.

I have yet to use the Note 10.1 (Mine is coming tomorrow from Amazon) but I am not worried about the screen because I did not buy it for HD viewing. I need it for what it does well and that is the S-pen technology.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Knock on wood but I haven't experienced any lag or sluggishness. My 10.1 tab was so awful with freezing and stutters I just put it away. Everything is relative to individuals point of view.

My only hiccup thus far is when I return to the home screen after opening an app from a folder the keyboard is open and the cursor is in the edit file name location. A couple of back arrows and I'm at the home screen. Just a bug and minor nuisance.

xeroslash

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if journalists/bloggers/whatevers were sent different builds or something (I've heard of 'review' units in previous cases), but my tablet is solid. Nothing flimsy about it. I don't get where this fragile talk is coming from.

Also, my tablet hasn't slowed down or lagged on me once. I just don't get these reviews.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
This tablet is much snappier than any I have owned.. touchpad with ICS, Sony tablet S, transformer...
I have not experienced any lag other than when i tried to open a 800MB pdf of a book.. someone decided to just scan every page of a textbook and call it an e book.... But i digress

The "poor build" as most call it is non-existent on mine or the one I got for my GF. It feels very sturdy more sturdy than the touchpad and well the tablet s felt like an angled brick so not as sturdy as that and it feels more comfortable in the hand than the transformer.

Touchwiz is almost non-existent.

Note taking is amazing on this thing and "7 note" is nice for writing to text but once you get used to the built in Samsung S note software for handwriting to text you will be pleased with it.

Resolution the big hype by all is BS. The screen is beautiful, bright, colorful, and vibrant. The resolution is not HD yes, but IMO the bigger icons and everything just make it so much easier to use especially when taking notes with an app called Papyrus(which is awesome). I don't want to have to squint when looking at my tablet...

My only gripe with this tablet is the current lack of accessories but that will soon change hopefully.

I have had my note since day one in the states, no force closes or random restarts or any problems at all once I learned how to use it. I have taken 15 plus pages of notes so far and love it and get comments every day from other students wanting to try it (senior in Computer Engineering so we are all tech nerds for the most part)

If you have any specific questions please ask and I and most likely others will try to answer.
:)

Only someone that's never used stock android would say touch wiz is 'non existent' on the Note 10.1.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm really beginning to get annoyed with some of these reviews. It's almost as if they aren't even using the same device as me. The N10.1 is the smoothest tablet I've owned, and I've been through nearly all of them.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm really being to get annoyed with some of these reviews. It's almost as if they aren't even using the same device as me. The N10.1 is the smoothest tablet I've owned, and I've been through nearly all of them.

Perhaps they're comparing it to its competition. Viewed that way, I wouldn't be shocked if the Note ran like a dog comparatively.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No lag here either. When the original Note first got lousy reviews and comments about being laughable, a monstrosity, etc. I used to jump in and leave comments about how wonderful it was and felt like the lone voice in the apple world until the Note started selling and made fools of those reviewers. NOW, please read the comments after the reviews finding fault with the Note 10.1. Many of them are from Tablet owners who love their device as much as we do. When you read a review that spends three sentences on the device's multi-tasking capability, a bit of a smirk about the few apps for the S pen, and paragraphs about the plastic parts and being light weight.... consider the source as unreliable. I haven't found anything I don't like about the 10.1 except that I still think there should be an app that screams if the S pen gets too far away from it. Went to use it last night and realized it's S pen is at work, on my desk. Thank heaven the original Note's S pen works with it! whew. Once you spend some time learning the features, like - really, you can take pictures of text or images from the web and just slide them sideways to lay onto a document or note, I mean, think of how innovative and wonderful this device is! I wouldn't trade it for TWO of anything else, tablets or laptops!

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Once you spend some time learning the features, like - really, you can take pictures of text or images from the web and just slide them sideways to lay onto a document or note, I mean, think of how innovative and wonderful this device is!

I think you are right on with this comment. I don't think reviewers spend enough time with the device. Well, most reviewers. Some have mentioned Lisa Gade at MobileTech Review; she does unbiased quality reviews.

I wouldn't trade it for TWO of anything else, tablets or laptops!

It's funny you mention this because from the review on AndroidCentral, Andrew Vacca would take 2 Nexus 7's over 1 Note 10.1. Sorry, but that review was awful. Not just because I own this device and like it, but it had a negative tone from the start. For a moment I thought I was on iMore.com. He made so many invalid points. It was an honest review, and I give him credit for taking the time to do it, but he's way off base.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I completely agree. That review had a bad tone. He wouldn't stop talking about the plastic and the "poor screen" but I am 99% sure that reviewers ALWAYS either mention:

A) Bad Screen
B) Poor OEM experience (Touchwiz, Blur, Sense)

And therefore they did the obligatory negatives so that it looks legit. I get so weary of hearing the same old stuff for each device. Every screen they review has been "poor" except the One X and the GNexus. And even the GNexus they said fell a little short. I want to see a review where they think outside the box and give me a real life scenario. If people HAVE to have the HD screen, there's other options available. They don't have to get this.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I completely agree. That review had a bad tone. He wouldn't stop talking about the plastic and the "poor screen" but I am 99% sure that reviewers ALWAYS either mention:

A) Bad Screen
B) Poor OEM experience (Touchwiz, Blur, Sense)

And therefore they did the obligatory negatives so that it looks legit. I get so weary of hearing the same old stuff for each device. Every screen they review has been "poor" except the One X and the GNexus. And even the GNexus they said fell a little short. I want to see a review where they think outside the box and give me a real life scenario. If people HAVE to have the HD screen, there's other options available. They don't have to get this.

Exactly. I'm so tired of hearing about Samsung and it's use of plastic. My battery cover on my GNex looks like it may break if I look at it the wrong way, but it's not. Same thing when I had the Samsung Fascinate. That thing got ripped for feeling "cheap". I abused that thing and there's not a crack in it. My son is still using it today. They use plastic, so what.

To say "Samsung" and "bad screen" in the same sentence is like an oxymoron. Samsung makes the best looking screens. And to A Vacca (the reviewer), it's a 1280x800 display, not 1200x800. He can't even get the specs right, and I'm supposed to trust his review?

I see a lot of people here, including myself, commented on his review. In fact, the majority of the comments ripped this dudes review. It's like the copy/pasted paragraphs from all the other reviews; not an original thought in that entire review.

Realistically, this review was rushed and written just to appease AC readers. For some reason, AC can't get reviews out in a timely manner, and they've been called out on that many times. I'd rather wait and read a useful, original review, rather then a rehashed review from other sites. Use the device, get to know it, use it as your personal device, learn some tips/ tricks. How about doing something simple as participating in the forums. You get a lot of information from people who have purchased and used the device.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps they're comparing it to its competition. Viewed that way, I wouldn't be shocked if the Note ran like a dog comparatively.

What competition? Anything from Asus? I like my Nexus 7. But my three Asus tablets have had enough defects to almost put me off of them for good.

mmaestro

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
If you've read the Android Police review, he experienced some pretty awful lag especially with side by side apps, and took video of it, so it's legitimate. I think the question is more why the inconsistent experience (and Samsung really didn't do any extra QA on the review units? That's shocking). I'm glad folks here aren't seeing the lag, though, because my wife's looking to buy one of these for note taking once the LTE version is out, and I was starting to feel like I was going to have to dissuade her.
Here is the link to the Android Police review, for those who're wondering. I trust these guys to give a legitimate review, so there must be some real inconsistencies in the devices that are being sent out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay