Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sluggish according to some reviews

Its sometimes sluggish when moving between home screens or switching between apps, and its particularly problematic when you try to run two apps side-by side.

The concept is an excellent one in theory, but we found it a little slow swapping between two running apps, so it's not exactly instant.
    A more pressing problem than looks is the fact that TouchWIZ appears to impact on performance. The Galaxy Note 10.1 isn't as sluggish in general use as Samsung's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, but it often feels a little laggy, even when performing basic tasks. This is especially evident in transitions between home screens, opening and closing the app draw and scrolling in the Web browser tasks that really shouldn't lag. This basic issue is even further compounded by the fact that we experienced no problems when playing graphically intense 3D games, such as the excellent Dead Trigger and Shadowgun 3 titles.

However, the TouchWiz interface seems sluggish at times. Scrolling through web pages also causes some stuttering. This isn't something you would expect from a device with a quad-core processor. The Samsung Galaxy S3, which only has a dual-core processor, runs noticeably smoother than the Galaxy Note 10.1

I hope this is fixed with an update or else I won't buy one. I don't need to play games...but I can't stand spending so much money for a device that stutters performing simple tasks...

Robert

Default Re: Sluggish according to some reviews

Quote Originally Posted by robcassman View Post

I hope this is fixed with an update or else I won't buy one. I don't need to play games...but I can't stand spending so much money for a device that stutters performing simple tasks...

Robert
    I've been using mine for a bit no and I have not found any of those problems. Split screen viewing is pretty quick, going from home screen to home screen is smooth, it does "snap" near the end as it it transitioning to the next screen but not lag. Scrolling in the web browser is smooth as well.

The Jelly bean update that is scheduled for release soon is going to make it much smoother. Again, no lags or stutter. This is a true multitasking device and there is a lot going on in the background along with the Wacom digitizer.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

First, I'd hold off on judgement until you actually use one. I read the same reviews as you did last week. Second, you need to be careful about the sites you read reviews from. Most are pro-Apple and if it's not an iPad then it's junk.

Oh how I wish Android Central could step it up when it comes to reviewing new products, but I digress. MobileTech Review does excellent non-biased reviews. Check theirs out.

TouchWiz is not obtrusive and doesn't seem to get in the way on this tablet. They did a nice job putting it on top of ICS, without getting in it's own way.

I don't experience any sluggishness or lag when switching between apps. I do experience some choppiness in the browser when scrolling on certain, content heavy site. This is the first Android I have that probably won't end up on CraigsList (in a 10.1" form factor. Not getting rid of my N7 either). I've been waiting for an Android tablet done right, and I think this is it.
    Thanked by:

I also don't experience any of the software problems described in other reviews. I must have gotten a great build because I don't have any flex in the back or creaks when picking it up or while purposely trying to make it happen. It's sad some reviewers can't try a couple if they get one with many flaws. One out of thousands shouldn't condem the line. I say if you like the specs, get it.
    Thanked by:
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

Mine occasionally lags or stutters. Mostly, as NickA described. But, again, it's only very occasional. Overall, it is way snappier than my TouchPad running CM9....
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    ROM
    Team XRON; Sense or Aosp

This tablet is much snappier than any I have owned.. touchpad with ICS, Sony tablet S, transformer...
    I have not experienced any lag other than when i tried to open a 800MB pdf of a book.. someone decided to just scan every page of a textbook and call it an e book.... But i digress

The "poor build" as most call it is non-existent on mine or the one I got for my GF. It feels very sturdy more sturdy than the touchpad and well the tablet s felt like an angled brick so not as sturdy as that and it feels more comfortable in the hand than the transformer.

Touchwiz is almost non-existent.

Note taking is amazing on this thing and "7 note" is nice for writing to text but once you get used to the built in Samsung S note software for handwriting to text you will be pleased with it.

Resolution the big hype by all is BS. The screen is beautiful, bright, colorful, and vibrant. The resolution is not HD yes, but IMO the bigger icons and everything just make it so much easier to use especially when taking notes with an app called Papyrus(which is awesome). I don't want to have to squint when looking at my tablet...

My only gripe with this tablet is the current lack of accessories but that will soon change hopefully.

I have had my note since day one in the states, no force closes or random restarts or any problems at all once I learned how to use it. I have taken 15 plus pages of notes so far and love it and get comments every day from other students wanting to try it (senior in Computer Engineering so we are all tech nerds for the most part)

If you have any specific questions please ask and I and most likely others will try to answer.
    Thanked by:
    DAS

Global Posts
    976 Global Posts

Most of the reviews of the Note 10.1 have been absolutely abysmal

IMO, like the Note 5.3 many reviewers have this "bee in their bonnett" about Samsung, and they barely even use the device for more than 30 minutes so you can't get a fair and objective assessment that's useful to anyone.

I would recommend, if you have the money, go purchase the device, try it for yourself in your world and environment. I stopped listening to reviews other than to pick up on little nuances about the software that I may otherwise overlook.

If I'm interested in a device I buy it, try it out, and if it works for me (regardless of what other people think) I keep it, and if it doesn't work for me (regardless of what other people think), I take it back.

I agree entirely with most everyone here. I don't buy a tablet to watch HD movies on. If I want that, I will spend 500.00 on an HDTV.

I have yet to use the Note 10.1 (Mine is coming tomorrow from Amazon) but I am not worried about the screen because I did not buy it for HD viewing. I need it for what it does well and that is the S-pen technology.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Knock on wood but I haven't experienced any lag or sluggishness. My 10.1 tab was so awful with freezing and stutters I just put it away. Everything is relative to individuals point of view.

My only hiccup thus far is when I return to the home screen after opening an app from a folder the keyboard is open and the cursor is in the edit file name location. A couple of back arrows and I'm at the home screen. Just a bug and minor nuisance.
    Thanked by:

I don't know if journalists/bloggers/whatevers were sent different builds or something (I've heard of 'review' units in previous cases), but my tablet is solid. Nothing flimsy about it. I don't get where this fragile talk is coming from.

Also, my tablet hasn't slowed down or lagged on me once. I just don't get these reviews.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Runningwarrior08 View Post
    This tablet is much snappier than any I have owned.. touchpad with ICS, Sony tablet S, transformer...
    I have not experienced any lag other than when i tried to open a 800MB pdf of a book.. someone decided to just scan every page of a textbook and call it an e book.... But i digress

The "poor build" as most call it is non-existent on mine or the one I got for my GF. It feels very sturdy more sturdy than the touchpad and well the tablet s felt like an angled brick so not as sturdy as that and it feels more comfortable in the hand than the transformer.

Touchwiz is almost non-existent.

Note taking is amazing on this thing and "7 note" is nice for writing to text but once you get used to the built in Samsung S note software for handwriting to text you will be pleased with it.

Resolution the big hype by all is BS. The screen is beautiful, bright, colorful, and vibrant. The resolution is not HD yes, but IMO the bigger icons and everything just make it so much easier to use especially when taking notes with an app called Papyrus(which is awesome). I don't want to have to squint when looking at my tablet...

My only gripe with this tablet is the current lack of accessories but that will soon change hopefully.

I have had my note since day one in the states, no force closes or random restarts or any problems at all once I learned how to use it. I have taken 15 plus pages of notes so far and love it and get comments every day from other students wanting to try it (senior in Computer Engineering so we are all tech nerds for the most part)

If you have any specific questions please ask and I and most likely others will try to answer.
    Only someone that's never used stock android would say touch wiz is 'non existent' on the Note 10.1.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

I'm really beginning to get annoyed with some of these reviews. It's almost as if they aren't even using the same device as me. The N10.1 is the smoothest tablet I've owned, and I've been through nearly all of them.
    Last edited by 05GT; 08-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.

- 13.3 Retina MacBook Pro
    - AT&T LG G2 | AT&T LG Optimus G Pro
    - AT&T Samsung GS4 | AT&T Galaxy Note 3 | Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 | Samsung Galaxy Gear
    - AT&T Nokia 1520
    - T-Mobile Xperia Z1s
    - LG G Pad 8.3 GPe
    - 16GB Google Nexus 5 | 32GB Google Nexus 7 2013
    - 32GB iPad Air | 16GB iPad Mini Retina
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by 05GT View Post
    I'm really being to get annoyed with some of these reviews. It's almost as if they aren't even using the same device as me. The N10.1 is the smoothest tablet I've owned, and I've been through nearly all of them.
    Perhaps they're comparing it to its competition. Viewed that way, I wouldn't be shocked if the Note ran like a dog comparatively.

Its competition being.....who? Some of the best hardware specs out there.

No lag here either. When the original Note first got lousy reviews and comments about being laughable, a monstrosity, etc. I used to jump in and leave comments about how wonderful it was and felt like the lone voice in the apple world until the Note started selling and made fools of those reviewers. NOW, please read the comments after the reviews finding fault with the Note 10.1. Many of them are from Tablet owners who love their device as much as we do. When you read a review that spends three sentences on the device's multi-tasking capability, a bit of a smirk about the few apps for the S pen, and paragraphs about the plastic parts and being light weight.... consider the source as unreliable. I haven't found anything I don't like about the 10.1 except that I still think there should be an app that screams if the S pen gets too far away from it. Went to use it last night and realized it's S pen is at work, on my desk. Thank heaven the original Note's S pen works with it! whew. Once you spend some time learning the features, like - really, you can take pictures of text or images from the web and just slide them sideways to lay onto a document or note, I mean, think of how innovative and wonderful this device is! I wouldn't trade it for TWO of anything else, tablets or laptops!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by J HighNote View Post
    Once you spend some time learning the features, like - really, you can take pictures of text or images from the web and just slide them sideways to lay onto a document or note, I mean, think of how innovative and wonderful this device is!
    I think you are right on with this comment. I don't think reviewers spend enough time with the device. Well, most reviewers. Some have mentioned Lisa Gade at MobileTech Review; she does unbiased quality reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by J HighNote View Post
    I wouldn't trade it for TWO of anything else, tablets or laptops!
    It's funny you mention this because from the review on AndroidCentral, Andrew Vacca would take 2 Nexus 7's over 1 Note 10.1. Sorry, but that review was awful. Not just because I own this device and like it, but it had a negative tone from the start. For a moment I thought I was on iMore.com. He made so many invalid points. It was an honest review, and I give him credit for taking the time to do it, but he's way off base.

Yeah I completely agree. That review had a bad tone. He wouldn't stop talking about the plastic and the "poor screen" but I am 99% sure that reviewers ALWAYS either mention:

A) Bad Screen
    B) Poor OEM experience (Touchwiz, Blur, Sense)

And therefore they did the obligatory negatives so that it looks legit. I get so weary of hearing the same old stuff for each device. Every screen they review has been "poor" except the One X and the GNexus. And even the GNexus they said fell a little short. I want to see a review where they think outside the box and give me a real life scenario. If people HAVE to have the HD screen, there's other options available. They don't have to get this.

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    Yeah I completely agree. That review had a bad tone. He wouldn't stop talking about the plastic and the "poor screen" but I am 99% sure that reviewers ALWAYS either mention:

A) Bad Screen
    B) Poor OEM experience (Touchwiz, Blur, Sense)

And therefore they did the obligatory negatives so that it looks legit. I get so weary of hearing the same old stuff for each device. Every screen they review has been "poor" except the One X and the GNexus. And even the GNexus they said fell a little short. I want to see a review where they think outside the box and give me a real life scenario. If people HAVE to have the HD screen, there's other options available. They don't have to get this.
    Exactly. I'm so tired of hearing about Samsung and it's use of plastic. My battery cover on my GNex looks like it may break if I look at it the wrong way, but it's not. Same thing when I had the Samsung Fascinate. That thing got ripped for feeling "cheap". I abused that thing and there's not a crack in it. My son is still using it today. They use plastic, so what.

To say "Samsung" and "bad screen" in the same sentence is like an oxymoron. Samsung makes the best looking screens. And to A Vacca (the reviewer), it's a 1280x800 display, not 1200x800. He can't even get the specs right, and I'm supposed to trust his review?

I see a lot of people here, including myself, commented on his review. In fact, the majority of the comments ripped this dudes review. It's like the copy/pasted paragraphs from all the other reviews; not an original thought in that entire review.

Realistically, this review was rushed and written just to appease AC readers. For some reason, AC can't get reviews out in a timely manner, and they've been called out on that many times. I'd rather wait and read a useful, original review, rather then a rehashed review from other sites. Use the device, get to know it, use it as your personal device, learn some tips/ tricks. How about doing something simple as participating in the forums. You get a lot of information from people who have purchased and used the device.
    LegalAmerican likes this.

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Perhaps they're comparing it to its competition. Viewed that way, I wouldn't be shocked if the Note ran like a dog comparatively.

What competition? Anything from Asus? I like my Nexus 7. But my three Asus tablets have had enough defects to almost put me off of them for good.

- 13.3 Retina MacBook Pro
    - AT&T LG G2 | AT&T LG Optimus G Pro
    - AT&T Samsung GS4 | AT&T Galaxy Note 3 | Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 | Samsung Galaxy Gear
    - AT&T Nokia 1520
    - T-Mobile Xperia Z1s
    - LG G Pad 8.3 GPe
    - 16GB Google Nexus 5 | 32GB Google Nexus 7 2013
    - 32GB iPad Air | 16GB iPad Mini Retina

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

If you've read the Android Police review, he experienced some pretty awful lag especially with side by side apps, and took video of it, so it's legitimate. I think the question is more why the inconsistent experience (and Samsung really didn't do any extra QA on the review units? That's shocking). I'm glad folks here aren't seeing the lag, though, because my wife's looking to buy one of these for note taking once the LTE version is out, and I was starting to feel like I was going to have to dissuade her.
    to the Android Police review, for those who're wondering. I trust these guys to give a legitimate review, so there must be some real inconsistencies in the devices that are being sent out.

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mmaestro View Post
    If you've read the Android Police review, he experienced some pretty awful lag especially with side by side apps, and took video of it, so it's legitimate. I think the question is more why the inconsistent experience (and Samsung really didn't do any extra QA on the review units? That's shocking). I'm glad folks here aren't seeing the lag, though, because my wife's looking to buy one of these for note taking once the LTE version is out, and I was starting to feel like I was going to have to dissuade her.
    to the Android Police review, for those who're wondering. I trust these guys to give a legitimate review, so there must be some real inconsistencies in the devices that are being sent out.
    No offense to @mmaestro but don't visit the site. I think the reviewer was going for that "shock" factor to draw people to his site. At one point he recommends getting the iPad. There are sites that try to remain objective, like ZD Net, but they are clearly biased towards iOS (as well as other popular blogs). But if you are an Android site, you have to at the very least give the benefit of the doubt.

If you focus on what Samsung is trying to do with the Note, and it's features, you would be impressed. Instead, other blogs, this one included, want to talk about the plastic feel, or the 1280x800 display, or TouchWiz. And just about every reviews compares it to the Nexus 7. A fine tablet, I have one, but the N7 and Note 10.1 are two different animals.

I agree with @mmaestro that some reviewers got bad devices; it happens. But as a professional you need to look past that and focus on the product itself. And I'm using that term "professional" very loosely when it comes to some writers on some blogs.
    DAS likes this.

I bought the N10.1 and it is not at all sluggish. I read a review on The Verge and it just about killed it for me, but then I thought, buy it and if you don't like it you can always return it. So I get the N10.1 and I'm multitasking it with split screen, using the S Pen and loving it. Comes with a modified version of Adobe's PS Touch too by the way. It's a great tablet. I even like it more than my Transformer Infinity which has much higher resolution. But the N10.1 is pretty darn cool.

I have an iPad 3 as well, which is collecting dust. Pretty and all but that S Pen rocks. The split screen tasking is awesome. And you can run a tray app on top of those too.

Now I just want a keyboard for it for those situations where I want to bang out long descriptive emails. That's one of the things I like about the Transformers. Great keyboards.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    Samsung Galaxy S3 | Nexus 7
    Thanked by:

I'm so pleased to see all the great comments on here. This morning I gave a quick answer about lousy reviews and considering the source and had to log off fast. All day I mulled over these lousy reviews and when I went to find the ones I'd read yesterday, there was a whole new batch including the one cited from Android Police. Seriously, who drags around the bandwagon that says to find anything possible and put a negative twist on it. How is it that Google News always has the reviews with the most negative title featured and the most reasonable reviews are in small print under "other sources"? I've found lots of positive reviews as a result of searching for help to learn something. This morning I was impressed by the numbers of times some threads get read. Anyone who is looking for information in order to decide on spending hundreds of dollars, take the really negative reviews with a grain of salt. Look up the author's other reviews so you can fairly consider the source. If you were to take all the items that some of these reviewers have complained about and make the upgrades to the Note 10.1 and even do the impossible- technologically speaking, the Note Tablet would cost about a thousand dollars and still be worth every penny. It's NOT a laptop and shouldn't be held to those standards. Frankly, yes, there are small trade offs. Plus I might wish I could tweak a few things, but seriously, this tablet's multitasking capability, note feature and handwriting recognition with the S pen are just so super you have to see them in action to understand their usefulness.
    Thanked by:

I've been totally convinced that most news sites are bought off in some way by Apple. Apple used to get the cold shoulder and then one day Apple started putting ads in PC magazines. Pretty soon apple fans started showing up in PC forums. Before you know it, you couldn't say one negative thing about Apple. If You did you never get invited to any Apple events.

Apple basically bought the press. Do you think even for one second that had Apple just released an iPad Note with a Wacom pen system that there wouldn't be headlines that read, Apple reinvents the Stylus. You have to know that fans would come out of the wood work claiming they have needed a pen for so long and thank God Apple did this.

Samsung does this and what happens? What's that, I can't hear you? Oh because no one said anything. Apple would be filing 24 patents for the use of a stylus on a touch screen. You can bank on it.

The reviewers would be comparing every tablet and calling out that it doesn't have Apple iPen and therefore is inferior.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 | Nexus 7
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAlexzander View Post
    I've been totally convinced that most news sites are bought off in some way by Apple. Apple used to get the cold shoulder and then one day Apple started putting ads in PC magazines. Pretty soon apple fans started showing up in PC forums. Before you know it, you couldn't say one negative thing about Apple. If You did you never get invited to any Apple events.

Apple basically bought the press. Do you think even for one second that had Apple just released an iPad Note with a Wacom pen system that there wouldn't be headlines that read, Apple reinvents the Stylus. You have to know that fans would come out of the wood work claiming they have needed a pen for so long and thank God Apple did this.

Samsung does this and what happens? What's that, I can't hear you? Oh because no one said anything. Apple would be filing 24 patents for the use of a stylus on a touch screen. You can bank on it.

The reviewers would be comparing every tablet and calling out that it doesn't have Apple iPen and therefore is inferior.
    You're not far off. Just recently the court had ordered that Oracle and Google (after their trial) must present to the court a list off all websites and bloggers that they had paid during the trial. Every company doesn't with either free units or purchasing an obscene amount of ad space or just straight up hard cold cash. Nothing is neutral on the web.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast