Another bug.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I was taking notes in class the other day with SNote. I like to record lectures at the same time. I found out that if you want to record a lecture and take notes you are forced to use only one page. Unlike just taking notes where you can continue adding more pages by clicking the + sign in the lower right corner it is grayed out when recording. This is a major flaw for me as I normally take 5 to 10 pages of notes during a lecture. I have also noticed that you cant import an SNote note from another Samsung device into a current folder in SNote. You canopen the note to view it from the My Files utility but cant add it to a current folder. I dont want to go back to a Windows tablet but might have to if Samsung doesnt fix this.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I was taking notes in class the other day with SNote. I like to record lectures at the same time. I found out that if you want to record a lecture and take notes you are forced to use only one page. Unlike just taking notes where you can continue adding more pages by clicking the + sign in the lower right corner it is grayed out when recording. This is a major flaw for me as I normally take 5 to 10 pages of notes during a lecture. I have also noticed that you cant import an SNote note from another Samsung device into a current folder in SNote. You canopen the note to view it from the My Files utility but cant add it to a current folder. I dont want to go back to a Windows tablet but might have to if Samsung doesnt fix this.

I noticed the first concern you mentioned when I was taking meeting notes at work one day. However, all I had to do was restart the recording with each page insertion. I first thought it was a flaw, but I can see why it may have been designed this way. It's possible that most people want to be able to quickly find their place in the recording, in relation to the notes they are reviewing, so to make it easier they made it so each recording is associated with each page?

I too wish that we had the option to transfer notes into the folders we desire. However, it's no deal breaker for me. Just curious, if you don't mind answering, which Windows tablet specifically would you be going back to that can do all the Note 10.1 can do, and better?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You can import pdfs and jpegs into S note. Just take a screen shot of the note from the other Samsung device and import them into whatever folder you'd like.

Reactions: DAS

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You can import pdfs and jpegs into S note. Just take a screen shot of the note from the other Samsung device and import them into whatever folder you'd like.

Thank you! Great tip.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

I know you can do that, but that is not a live note that can be added onto. It is only a jpeg. You should be able to import an SNote and have it be live within a current folder just like you started the note on that device. This would be helpful for business people that are collaborrating or someone that uses the Galaxy Note smartphone and Note 10.1 tablet.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I noticed the first concern you mentioned when I was taking meeting notes at work one day. However, all I had to do was restart the recording with each page insertion. I first thought it was a flaw, but I can see why it may have been designed this way. It's possible that most people want to be able to quickly find their place in the recording, in relation to the notes they are reviewing, so to make it easier they made it so each recording is associated with each page?

I too wish that we had the option to transfer notes into the folders we desire. However, it's no deal breaker for me. Just curious, if you don't mind answering, which Windows tablet specifically would you be going back to that can do all the Note 10.1 can do, and better?

I guess that makes sense. I will try that on Tuesday. I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate that I am using as well. The S7 is much more robust with OneNote, the major downside is the shorter battery life and the size is a tad larger at 11.6". The wide format screen is bothersome for some. Of course I lose out on some great Android apps with the S7. I just need to decide which device can meet most of my needs with one footprint. That is probably the S7, but there are a bunch of new slates coming in the fall, howeverI detest Windows 8 so think I would stick with the S7. Thanks for the help with the video recorder.

Oh, the one other major gripe I have with yhe Note is that even with the pen inking tool set to the thinnest setting, the ink is still way too thick. Something that the S7 gives much more control over.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I guess that makes sense. I will try that on Tuesday. I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate that I am using as well. The S7 is much more robust with OneNote, the major downside is the shorter battery life and the size is a tad larger at 11.6". The wide format screen is bothersome for some. Of course I lose out on some great Android apps with the S7. I just need to decide which device can meet most of my needs with one footprint. That is probably the S7, but there are a bunch of new slates coming in the fall, howeverI detest Windows 8 so think I would stick with the S7. Thanks for the help with the video recorder.

Oh, the one other major gripe I have with yhe Note is that even with the pen inking tool set to the thinnest setting, the ink is still way too thick. Something that the S7 gives much more control over.

There's almost nothing thinner than the pencil line. Are you against just using the pencil when you need a VERY thin line?

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
There is also a slider to change pen thickness, make sure its all the way to the left.

enadabej.jpg

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I know how to use the pen slider. IT is all the way to the left. The pencil is thinner but does not make solid ink line. I need a solid line. It is something that Samsung can fix, hopefully in a future update. I have a Statistics class and need to draw tables, graphs and charts and could use a thinner ink stroke. I know I have the option with other apps like Lecture Notes, Quill, Write or Papyrus, but the problem with those apps is that you can only export to PDF, can't import PDF's to annotate on. THe PDF annotation apps like EZPDF and Repligo have attrocious inking UI's and are very cumbersome to use. Having the Note is still much better than other Android options and the iPad. I am still debating whether to go back to a Windows Tablet. Much more inking and annotation options for ink thinkness and the handwriting recognition is more robust.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.........I would say if the Note doesn't meet your needs for note taking, then you're probably better off with something else. No offense, but between the shape matching, the THIN pen line, and the thinner pencil line....if those don't help you in making graphs and charts for statistics then I don't know what will except a pen and paper from Staples that will run you about $3.

I haven't ever used a Windows tablet so I can't say this for sure, but I would be very very very surprised if it actually DID do a better job than the Note 10.1 at Note taking.

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I had an HP Slate 500 and the touchscreen absolutely sucked. I think the newer digitizer tablets are better and more powerful though, if you are willing to drop the coin on applications.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

He makes some great points and I never knew much about Windows Tablets before. However he seems to be more speculating on what the Windows tablets will be able to do in the future, and not as much about what they can do right now. Also he makes a good point that the Windows Tablets price tag will be much higher generally than what the Note is.

I will revise my statement after reading that. For the price, I can't imagine Windows being a much better deal dollar for dollar when it comes to note taking.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
He seems pretty explicit that even his old hardware, with W8 installed, is a significantly better platform for taking notes than the Note.

One Note is just a way more mature application than anything on Android.

Whether the Note is a better deal, dollar for dollar, depends on whether there's something that W8 does that Android doesn't, that you consider to be a requirement or not.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
He seems pretty explicit that even his old hardware, with W8 installed, is a significantly better platform for taking notes than the Note.

Whether the Note is a better deal, dollar for dollar, depends on whether there's something that W8 does that Android doesn't, that you consider to be a requirement or not.

I'll take what that poster said with a grain of salt. Mainly because he's just another dude on a forum putting down one product and praising another. It's like people that come to this forum and talk about other tables, but making it sound like they are an Android fan when really their intentions are to put it down.

Anyway, One Note is a great app and has more to offer than S-Note. I think Samsung knows this and will improve the app over time. But it brings up an interesting point about Windows 8 tablets: will people make the switch because of software. One note is a good example. Think about MS Office as well. There's no way Polaris Office, Documents To Go, Kingsoft Office, etc. can compare with MS Office. I think if Android wants to be a serious business machine, there needs to be some software that will make people choose it over a W8 tablet.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I didn't really get the feeling that he was "expilicit" in his passion for the windows tablet. Sure he seemed to prefer it, but many times he mentioned "if Microsoft does this....." and the like. If he was from a tech website that professionally reviews various tablets, then I would probably put more stock into it. But where he is just a guy like me who enjoys experimenting with tech, I wont put his thoughts that far above my own.

Note taking isn't rocket science. It doesn't have to be a complicated thing. Sure it's nice when programs are integrated well and play nice with each other, but for me personally, I don't need a $1000.00 device to take notes on. At that point, i'll buy a nice pad of paper and a few really nice utensils to jot down the notes. For my needs (and I presume the needs of quite a few) the $500.00 Note is the perfect device. You get a high quality tablet, a fantastic note taking device, and a method to store various files and etextbooks.

I would dare say that no more than 10% of the population (and that's being generous) actually NEED to do the things that he talks about. The rest of us pretend that we are CEO's of fortune 500 companies and that we have to keep our New York Stock Exchange data well organized or the Earth will be thrown off it's axis. $1000.00 for a Microsoft Surface is pretty dang steep when the Note does most of the same things for half price.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I would dare say that no more than 10% of the population (and that's being generous) actually NEED to do the things that he talks about.

Anybody who manages more than about 2 projects (which is to say, about 90% of all the project managers out there) could get substantial benefit from the things that that poster was talking about. As in, an easy business case for spending an extra $300 - 500 for a different tablet versus $500 for a Note.

This time last year, I was managing over 10 different software projects. That was when my quest for a tablet that I could use to take handwritten notes started. Pen and paper just was not working effectively for me. Too many different things going on every day and no good way (with pen and paper) to keep my notes organized where I could find things easily after the fact.

I bought and tried an iPad 2, a Transformer and a Galaxy Tab 10.1. None of them were effective for taking handwritten notes. The HTC Jetstream would have worked but it was too expensive for what you got and there were too many reports of bugs that weren't being addressed by the manufacturer.

If the GN10 had been available then, I would have bought it and been a happy camper. But, if another tablet had been available that handled note-taking even better than the Note (e.g. by running One Note) and also let me run Outlook, Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, etc. - and I could have had it for $1000, I absolutely would have gotten one.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who is in the tech loop that has mentioned the Surface Pro has indicated an educated guess of about $1000.00.

And is this in the Note 10.1 forum? I feel like I am in the Microsoft Temple of worship. It's cool you like the Microsoft tablets so much, but then why did you buy the Note? If I were you, I wouldn't be happy with such a silly childrens toy. I would have to buy the "REAL Businessman's" tablet from Microsoft.

All I am saying, is that I don't think the majority of people need more than the already amazing functions that the Note provides. Nowhere did I say that you didn't need more. It sounds like you manage multiple very important business functions and you benefit from more software. But I think a ton (the majority) of people who bought the Note, knew what they were getting into and knew that it would meet their needs. And no, I don't have a source to back that up as it is simply speculation that people take care of their due dilligence before dropping hundreds of dollars.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey, man, I'm not the one who brought Windows tablets up in this thread. I was just responding to your statement that you "would be very very very surprised if it actually DID do a better job than the Note 10.1 at Note taking".

I bought the Note because it's the best thing available TODAY for doing what I want. Plus, I am no longer working for the company I was a year ago. Now I only really have 1 project to manage. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo