Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you recommend getting a Screen Protector?

After I looked and played with the Note at Best Buy the other day, I got to see and use the S-Pen. Now on my Ipad 3, I had a cover on it at first, but hated how it seemed to inhibit the touchscreen. So I went Naked without one and had no problems with scratching or anything. I also used Styluses on it for my favorite game Draw Something, but those were the thick rubber ones. The Note having a thinner, much pointier S-Pen, should I have a screen protector on and is it more vulnerable to getting scratched by the S-Pen and just in general? Also, can you recommend one I can get that will not inhibit the touchscreen so much. I'd really like to keep it Naked and just protect with a case.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB

Global Posts
    979 Global Posts

Default Re: Do you recommend getting a Screen Protector?

No screen protector unless you can get one that is super thin and firm.

The s pen works properly when you are able to use different pressures for line thickness. Something like a zagg is too thick and sort of gel like. If you try to apply more pressure to the s pen for a thicker line, the s pen will leave tracks in the screen protector, making it look like the s pen is scratching the screen.

The display on the note is gorilla glass, not unbreakable or scratch proof, but harder to do both. The s pen would be difficult to scratch the display as the s pen nibs are made of plastic.

I would recommend just getting a case that covers the display when not in use, and just be wary of any dirt or debris on the screen before you use it.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    ScandaLeX likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks Jevangil, I wasn't sure if it was Gorilla Glass or not, like on the phones. I would prefer not to use a screen protector if I didn't have to. Nice to know that the S-Pen will not do any damage. That was my primary worry.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

One scratch and you'll wish you'd gotten one...

The Ghost Armor protector on my screen feels better (to me, of course) with my stylus than the bare glass did.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm not sure it the New IPad had Gorilla Glass or not, but I never used a screen protector for the last 4 months and didn't get any scratches with the smartcover protecting it. How much does Ghost Armour Cost? Do you find the same problem as mentioned above about the S-Pen having to be pushed down harder to work better on it? I've always had screen protectors on my Phones, but they are in my pocket and sometimes have had keys in there with them. So I'm not against screen protectors in general, just don't want to have the same experience I had with the Zagg shield on my Ipad when I had it.
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

The stylus moves easier on the GA, I think. And I say that based on comparing my phone with GA to my Note without. After I tested the feel that way was when I went and got the GA on my Note.

The GA was, I think, $40. That would seem high except that they'll replace it any time it gets messed up, for just a $5 install fee. I have never had a screen protector on any device that didn't need to be replaced every few months, so at least for me, the GA is a good deal.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Are the Ghost Armour Protectors Dry apply or the Wet ones like the Zagg? I do remember seeing a Ghost Armour Kiosk at the local mall when I bought my Ipad. I didn't realize they were that expensive. I've never had to replace a screen protector on my last phone for almost two years and that had some hard use. I'll have to check the GA out though.

As a few have said your not gonna scratch the screen so easily so dont be afraid. Having said that as soon as you get your first scratch your gonna regret it. I've ordered a couple hard (non wet/spray) protectors from amazon. From the reviews there hasn't been any degradation in the sensitivity of the s pen.
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

I've only ever gotten GA at the kiosk in the mall near me. It is a wet/spray install. But, they've always done it for me, so I've never had a problem and it has always ended up pretty much perfect.

ROM
    ICS

Def Ebay, rather pay like 3$ for a antiglare pack of like 5 than scratch a screen

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

I had my Note for 2 days before my screen protector arrived in the mail. I hate leaving my screens naked on any device so I knew I was going to put a protector on it it was just a matter of finding the right one (which I found on the first try) When I was using it without the screen protector, it was difficult for me to write or draw quickly because the screen was so smooth and slippery. After installing the screen protector, I find it much easier to write/draw because there is just the smallest amount of resistance that helps me have more control. I noticed a very slight reduction in the sensitivity of the pen but thats not a big deal for me.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I bought a three pack on Amazon, that were like $3 and some change. I get them a couple days after I get my Note also. It'll be my first time putting a screen protector on, so glad I have three to work with. $40 bucks for the Ghost Armour one just seems way too expensive, although having someone put one on for me is nice. Hopefully I will not mess up putting them on myself.
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andy847 View Post
    I bought a three pack on Amazon, that were like $3 and some change. I get them a couple days after I get my Note also. It'll be my first time putting a screen protector on, so glad I have three to work with. $40 bucks for the Ghost Armour one just seems way too expensive, although having someone put one on for me is nice. Hopefully I will not mess up putting them on myself.
    They put it on for you AND if it ever needs to be replaced, they do it again for just a $5 reinstall fee. The GA on my phones do get messed up a bit every now and then and they have never hesitated for a second to replace one if I wanted a new one put one.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I'm definitely glad I ordered the cheap screen protectors from Amazon. I don't get them for a couple days, but this screen is sooooooo slippery! I think I need the screen protector just get something to make it less slippery. I tried the s-pen and it's cool, will definitely have to play with it more, spent more time trying to figure out things and download what I wanted.

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This thread is interesting as I've never ever thought of putting a screen protector on any of my tablets and believe me, I've had quite a few.
    I think for me anyway it's more mind over matter. The *size* of the tablet gives one the perception that it's not as fragile as a phone therefore not in need of a screen protector.

The first and last protector I put on a phone was the original Evo and it felt so unnatural that I snatched in off within 24 hrs.
    Not knocking anyone's decision; just screen protectors feel like a waste of money.

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 SE
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ScandaLex, I originally had a Screen Protector on my Ipad, took it off, because I hated it and didn't feel right when I pushed the Icons on the screen. I liked having no screen protector on it. Honestly though, This Galaxy Note has such a Slippery Screen, I'm glad I put one on, just to give some resistance to the pen and my fingers. I have a thin one on it, so not too bad.

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

ScandaLex, I originally had a Screen Protector on my Ipad, took it off, because I hated it and didn't feel right when I pushed the Icons on the screen. I liked having no screen protector on it. Honestly though, This Galaxy Note has such a Slippery Screen, I'm glad I put one on, just to give some resistance to the pen and my fingers. I have a thin one on it, so not too bad.
    Andy I have Epic 4g Touch, Galaxy Player 5.0 (had), Tab 10.1 (original) & 2 7.0 and none of the screens feel slippery; unless I just don't know what a slippery screen feels like. Now the back of them...well, we know Sammy loves their slippery plastic. Don't get me started on all the Apple stuff I've got around here. I plan on getting the Note 10.1 next week and I'm hoping the screen will feel solid like my other Sammy toys.

Global Posts
    547 Global Posts

Hate screen protectors on phones, most definitely will not be tainting my tablet with one....

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
    ~Jae~
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I guess when Writing on the Note with the S-Pen it felt really slippery to me. May just be because I'm not use to using the S-Pen yet. With my Fingers it felt fine, it was just with the S-Pen I noticed the slick feel of the screen. Now I'm also use to using a regular rubber tipped stylus, from my old Ipad, so that could be why the screen feels slippery with the slim S-Pen tip. I used my Note for Two whole days without a screen protector on it and had no problems. Who knows, I may get sick of it and take it off later.

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by LadiJae View Post
    Hate screen protectors on phones, most definitely will not be tainting my tablet with one....

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
    My 1st tablet was the original iPad and the screen still looked like new after 2 years--not a scratch anywhere. Honestly, I have to admit I dont know anyone personally whose ever put a screen protector on a tablet.

LadiJae likes this.

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I guess when Writing on the Note with the S-Pen it felt really slippery to me. May just be because I'm not use to using the S-Pen yet. With my Fingers it felt fine, it was just with the S-Pen I noticed the slick feel of the screen. Now I'm also use to using a regular rubber tipped stylus, from my old Ipad, so that could be why the screen feels slippery with the slim S-Pen tip. I used my Note for Two whole days without a screen protector on it and had no problems. Who knows, I may get sick of it and take it off later.
    Ahhh now I know what you mean. The tip of the S-Pen is very different than those rubber head stylus which gives it that "slippery" feeling. It's the difference between dragging and gliding. The S-Pen glides across the screen causing you to feel more of the glass screen in an unusual way.

Keep using the S-Pen and that feeling will become non-existant. You'll notice a difference when you go back to a regular stylus.

I really appreciate you guys answering this question on this forum. I almost paid best buy $30 and another $15 just to install this piece of plastic! They have the nerve to charge for instillation even after spending money for this tablet and spending that much money on the screen protector! Anyway, thats why i came home and google if i even need a screen procter. I had one on my phone but then took it off because it irritaded me. I like the smooth feeling with the S pen so now since i dont need it, i will save my money. Thanks so much!

I guess the only thing I can say is that I definite y prefer to use mine without the protector. I had one and I just didn't like the feeling so I scrapped it and I prefer it without. My tablet was purchased with scratch protection and insurance so it doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I use a screen protector because of greasy fingers. White tip works well and provides the right friction for me.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by cass_m View Post
    I use a screen protector because of greasy fingers. White tip works well and provides the right friction for me.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk HD
    I put one on for the exact same two reasons. Hate having one on my phone as it seems to decrease screen sensitivity, but haven't noticed that on the tablet. I have a ZAGG cover. Ridiculous price.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast