Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Can you connect to internet via Bluetooth (Phone-to-Note)?

Quote Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
    My phone runs jelly bean. Maybe my question wasn't clear. FoxFi and JB don't seem to work. As far as using my phone to tether I guess the times its needed are few. I just don't like that in order to do that I have to make a choice. Having my phone as a phone or using it to tether since both can't be done simultaneously.

I'm trying to weigh my options on which is the better tablet to get. 3G or WiFi.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Scandal, the right answer depends on how much wifi is already available at your favorite places to be. I tend to eat out a lot, just about everyone has wifi around here. Plus I have wifi at work and home. So for me, there's very few times I'm without wifi when I'm dying to get on the tablet. You might want to check out FoxFi's website. There was some information on there about some things that are known not to work, and solutions for some of them. Hey, just noticed you're in Philly! I thought Philly was going to get wifi city wide, did that plan go poof?
    Thanked by:
    ScandaLeX likes this.

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

My phone runs jelly bean. Maybe my question wasn't clear. FoxFi and JB don't seem to work. As far as using my phone to tether I guess the times its needed are few. I just don't like that in order to do that I have to make a choice. Having my phone as a phone or using it to tether since both can't be done simultaneously.

I'm trying to weigh my options on which is the better tablet to get. 3G or WiFi.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Well if your not really going to use the phone to tether that much and your main concern is you want to use the phone and tether too. It seems that it is not possible at this time although you can talk and use data now at the same time with the new phones on sprint? But if your going to be away from Wifi access and you do not want to loose phone function then the 3g/wifi would be the way to go or a portable hotspot for your carrier.

Choice 2 you may be able to forward your text and calls to your gtalk account then you can use your phone through your tablet. If this is possible.

I installed Open Garden today, it works. Had trouble receiving email, but was able to view websites.
    Allergic to Stupid

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts

Having my phone as a phone or using it to tether since both can't be done simultaneously.
    That should not be the case - unless you're on a 3G data connection. In other words (and I'm assuming you're on Sprint, since that's what your little mini-Bio thing says), if your phone has a 4G LTE data connection, you should be able to use it fully as a phone and a WiFi hotspot simultaneously. But, unless your phone has SVDO (which most don't), if you have a 3G data connection, your WiFi hotspot will lose connection to the Internet any time you're actually talking on the phone. But, other than when you're on a voice call, you can still do everything else on your phone while you're also using it as a hotspot.

I have a Rezound on Verizon and I used to have a Thunderbolt, which worked the same. I run WiFi Tether (frequently!) to use my phone as a hotspot. I can do any/everything on my phone, whether it's acting as a hotspot or not. The Rezound, Thunderbolt, and, allegedly, Galaxy S3, have SVDO. That means I can even talk on the phone, while my phone has a 3G data connection, and still have Internet access from my Note tablet or laptop or whatever I'm tethering with at the time.

---------- Post Merged at 06:18 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:15 AM ----------

ps. And as long as you have a 4G LTE connection, you should be able to tether and use your phone for voice calls simultaneously no matter what phone you have or what carrier you're on.

AFAIK, the ONLY phone that can't do 4G LTE data and voice simultaneously is the iPhone 5 on Verizon.

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.3

Well, we had a little power outage at my office this morning. I just got it back. Every dingy-dong thing was off. BUT...I had my SG3. And my Note was running and the mobile hotspot was on, so my devices were working fine. I am back on wifi, as usual, but,8it sure was nice to have that functionality when I unexpectedly needed it.
    Card Carrying Device Junkie

Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Asus Transformer Pad TF300 with Dock
    sndplace likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

I did my JB upgrade today on my Nexus. Found that the Portable Wifi app works on JB and finally took the plunge with the update. My go to Foxfi is unuseable but I at least have a backup now that works with my Galaxy Note with no problems.
    I'd bet Cory's Right Arm on that!

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazen View Post
    I did my JB upgrade today on my Nexus. Found that the Portable Wifi app works on JB and finally took the plunge with the update. My go to Foxfi is unuseable but I at least have a backup now that works with my Galaxy Note with no problems.
    So with JB update there is a biuld in service just like FoxFi that you can connect to and use the Data off your Phone?
    Was as trying but failed to connect everytime . Came to read up on it again and realized that i needed to use bluetooth ( kicked self) And woorked fine. Used PDA app on Tab and FoxFi on Phone. PDA says to use Foxfi for Wifi but didnt work either. So for now the Blue tooth is fine snd pretty fast for me too. I'm On Sprint.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Im using the portable wifi app and have wifi hotspot. No bluetooth required or apps on both phone-tablet. Wifi is faster than BT

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Im using the portable wifi app and have wifi hotspot. No bluetooth required or apps on both phone-tablet. Wifi is faster than BT

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 using Android Central Forums
    lol I was thinking it was something in the JB update you did lol I have the Epic4Gtouch myself( Waiting for the NoteII) I'll download this to see if it works for me.

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

No go :O(. It Wait for my next phone. I'll Use wifies GS3 when i need to. This note is suppose to be for her more anyway lol
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

hmmm. I have a Galaxy NEXUS using JB as of wednesday and it worked. Must be a phone thing. *shrugs* This is the app right here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hvdHNwb3QiXQ..

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

Yea Thats the one i got. Must be my phone smh can't wait till next month for my Note2. One the GS3 the same steps worked. Maybe I'll try the pda app to connect to see if that works.... NOPE... it tells me to install Foxfi. But on the app it says EpicTouch Coming soon

Got my Note last Wednesday and put the FoxFi to use over the weekend at a tradeshow in Dallas....it worked like a charm!! However, it wouldn't work at the Dallas airport (keeps saying I had to use PDA app & BT to connect), I didn't try to set it up, didn't need it badly nuff

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

hmmm. I have a Galaxy NEXUS using JB as of wednesday and it worked. Must be a phone thing. *shrugs* This is the app right here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hvdHNwb3QiXQ..
    It must be because worked the first time VIA Bluetooth on the GS3.

Quote Originally Posted by kt081801 View Post
    Got my Note last Wednesday and put the FoxFi to use over the weekend at a tradeshow in Dallas....it worked like a charm!! However, it wouldn't work at the Dallas airport (keeps saying I had to use PDA app & BT to connect), I didn't try to set it up, didn't need it badly nuff
    What phone do you have?
    side note. Cute Baby
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

yeah im really sorry. dunno what to tell ya. Oh im on a 4G LTE VZW Nexus if that makes a difference or not, I dont know if it does.

ROM
    AC!

I got the Epic Touch 4G ICS and i used FoxFi as wifi. and din't work, so i tried Bluetooth, and it does work :P

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

@Stuart No 4G LTE here. After rethinking my options I realize I'm not away from WiFi enough to have to concern myself with tethering.
    crb

How fast is the connection over Bluetooth tether?

I may just root the new phone (razr maxx hd) when I get it and be done.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by crb; 10-14-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Hi i have just brought my son the Nexus 32gb for his xmas press and want to get it all set up what's the best way to set it up so we can access the internet from any were he has autism so constantly uses games i have linked it to my HTC google account so all the games/books are now copied to the tablet but whats best for internet ?

Conect to my bluetooth or
    Buy a pay as go usb thingy.....?

Any help much appreciated

Clare

Global Posts
    1,934 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by barskin View Post
    Well, every carrier charges you for the mobile hotspot option in some way. On AT&T, I pay for the 5 gig a month data plan so my Galaxy S3 can be one, and, believe you me, I do not need anything like 5 gigs, since I have so much access to wifi (home and office). But I pony up so I can connect all my devices if I am out in the netherworld.
    I'm on at&t and use foxfi free. It works really well. I've never used it for more than 30/40 min @ a time but I've never been charged. I have an unlimited data plan so that could be why.

sent from my GSIII from AC Forums

I found this thread and installed FoxFi on my motorola droid 4. My samsung galaxy note 10.1 connected first try using wifi. I have an unlimited data plan so i dont really have to worry about any usage of data one way or another. Seems to work fine, don't notice it being slow or disconnecting. I'm usually around wifi but sometimes when on jobsites i want internet access or email access other than on my phone. Tablet is a nice size to review attachments, floorplans etc. So it's a good solution for me just thought i would share how i use it. I actually haven't tried the bluetooth function.

Hi, ive been trying to do this as well.What do you mean by subscrice on phone end, could you give me more detail?, thanks, John.

I am not rooting anymore, tried the FoxFi paid option, able to surf via Bluetooth. Unable to upload to Box and Drop Box.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

guys i found one site which claim to be working tutorial of bluetooth internet on android please check and tell me if its working method How To Share Android Internet Via Bluetooth To Computer | Trickolla

Simple process to share internet connection between phone and pc is via data cable.Through portable hotspot you can connect.

Regards
    Mr. Murli nagrani

Quote Originally Posted by kippypipe View Post
    I installed Open Garden today, it works. Had trouble receiving email, but was able to view websites.
    Last edited by Sangroom Unday; 03-06-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast