Why I think the plastic backing on the Note 10.1 is intentional...

ARossetter

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
So I actually use my Note 10.1 at work.. I have the Belkin leather case, and carry the tablet around like a small notebook and use it for note taking at meetings. I noticed the soft plastic backing when I bought the tablet and was rather annoyed by it at first. However, I think I now see the logic in that type of material for the back..

When I write notes, I use the wrist rejection a LOT. I write on my tablet exactly as I would on a notepad, with the full weight of my wrist on the screen while scribbling away, and I believe that was how the Note 10.1 was imagined being used with the S-Pen. However, you don't want the glass to absorb that kind of weight over a prolonged time. Therefore, I'm pretty sure that the soft, pliable backing is there to absorb that extra weight.

Now, I'm not exactly trying to defend Samsung nor its reputation for horrible build quality, but I think this is something worth considering as a possible explanation for this specific type of material.

Thoughts?

- Andy

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I could definitely agree with that. However, I completely disagree with the statement that everyone regurgitates about Samsung having "horrible build quality". If the build quality is so bad, how come we don't hear more about Samsung devices falling apart randomly? When Samsung sells millions of units per year, wouldn't we hear more about devices simply falling apart or at the very least, cracking? I highly doubt there are any results from studies showing that Samsung devices break more often that any other manufacturer. Please, until this actually starts to become a problem, lets not just repeat what we hear from stupid reviews whining about plastic. I use a LOT of things on a daily basis that are made from plastic, and yet they aren't horrible build quality. (Keyboard, Computer tower, monitor, scanners, printers, desk telephone, car door handle, drinking cup, etc....) Plastic does not always equal poor quality.

*Edited to correct spelling errors*

ARossetter

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
I actually 100% agree with you on that sentiment.. I was just anticipating the "that doesn't make up for the fact that device x is built like y" types of comments. I don't believe the stereotype myself, but unfortunately it is out there.

- Andy

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I would have to say that Samsung devices are great. I have owned numerous of their devices and see no problems with their plastic designs. As stated, I would say thst you would be hard pressed to find anything anymore that doesn't use plastic for something or other. Some use more than others to keep costs down, also to cut down on weight.

In a throw away society like the US is, it would be hard to spend gobs of money on something like a phone made of stainless steel or titanium. Or is it just that the plastic is not thick enough, like on other devices.

Buy a car made in the last few years and even your intake manifolds are plastic now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

sledgie#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, other than the iphone is there a phone that isnt plastic? I love my GN10. I do think the plastic back absorbs more impact than say, a prime, by leaning the wrist on the screen but, when hasnt samsung used a plastic back? Why would samsung take a chance with aluminum or kevlar, etc., with wifi/bt with their franchise quarterback tablet? I think its a marvelous tablet but wont aesthetically please everyone, and after picking up the ipad 2 last night i was glad samsung didnt go with another back such as aluminum. Look at the scuffs the iphone 5 already has. Horrible build quality ? Hard for me to agree. What exactly are we comparing the company that owns 25% of the US market share and over 52% of smartphones on android to?
I have a white 8013 and i couldnt be more pleased. Ive seen so many posts over at xda which shows even though samsung makes the plastic product, they are curiously durable. So where does this so called branding of horrible build quality come from? Asus much?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I dunno? I would say it is pretty prevalent. I could tell you my horror stories as I have owned 4 Samsung devices over the last 7 years, three of which are toast, and one of them that had me having to file for breach of warranty in small claims to get satisfaction.

There are very few companies on my "never to buy from again" list, but Sammy takes the top spot!

See but my experience differs from yours. So to you, it's true. But if it was common for everyone, I doubt their products would sell so well.

And thanks OP for the clarification.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, if I may tune in:

A) I know there are complaints about "build quality" in regard to the use of plastics, but I have no problem with it myself. My Samsungs look and feel quite nice to me

and

B) My Samsungs perform so well (the Note is just incredible) that the great plastic debate seems quite trivial to me. Give me speed, give me stability...I am thrilled.

sledgie#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Thanks. I just reread my post and im glad you didn't take it as me being a jerk because thats not how I wanted to come across.
Not all samsung products are perfect but for a $3500 tv - crap - they better be.
I know their silver refrigerator on bensbargains that was on sale the other day had some issues with it, and I mnow my samsung moment (one of their first androids) just plain sucked. Same with their first LTE on verizon. But thus Note 10.1 and upcoming Note 2 are their battleships, and I personally can attest to good hardware on this model, when using WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time. Im glad they appeased me with dual band too. My steam washer with silver plates to kill bacteria and dryer work phenomenal too, but those are all different divisions within samsung.
Anywho, I felt more people would complain about the slickness of the plastic, or the fact that the components dont totally fill the insides or side for that matter (under speaker, spen slot). I checked out one of the thin toshiba excites that was packed inside and I just felt like I could slice a steak if I dropped my knife on the floor. Sorry to add my nothingness to the conversation but I felt I had to jump in when I read "reputation" and "horrible build quality". At least we got a screen we can see and real Google. This aint the viewsonic g tab, folks.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not saying every product fails, but three out of four of mine did. Two of them within the warranty period.

But it is not just about failure rates, it is about how a company steps up when you have a problem. The last straw incident for me, was my last in-warranty issue with one of their products. Samsung USA never followed up as they said they would from day one, and on numerous occasions. And finally, after two unsuccessful attempts to fix the issue, they told me there was nothing else they could do. We're talking about a $3500 TV here.

I am glad you have had no issues with your Sammy's. God help you if you do.

It actually has nothing to do with their customer service side of it. That is a different conversation. In this thread, we are discussing BUILD QUALITY. If we were talking about Samsung in general, then yes I'd see your point. But we are discussing build quality and whether or not it's sufficient.

rcaban01

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the plastic back is also to reduce the weight of the tablet. I find it much more comfortable to hold for longer periods of time than say, dare say, an Ipad!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think the plastic back is also to reduce the weight of the tablet. I find it much more comfortable to hold for longer periods of time than say, dare say, an Ipad!

That's a good point. Sometimes people talk like they expect devices to be made out of cast iron so they can use them to cook dutch oven cobblers. It always confuses me in today's day and age when people seem down on plastic.

98kellrs

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
My experience with Samsung BQ has been great. My old SGS2 was run over by a 15 tonne truck at work (dont ask!) and the case held together with only minor cracking. The phone was only u/s because the screen was shattered but all the buttons worked perfectly. Most importantly sim and SD cards were intact inside.

Like others have said; plastic does not equal poor BQ.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, if I may tune in:

A) I know there are complaints about "build quality" in regard to the use of plastics, but I have no problem with it myself. My Samsungs look and feel quite nice to me

and

B) My Samsungs perform so well (the Note is just incredible) that the great plastic debate seems quite trivial to me. Give me speed, give me stability...I am thrilled.

Well said! Ditto from me too, and I'd like to ask since most people add cases for them, what's the point of worry about the feel of them? We only cover them up anyway!

Coastalnote

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I’m not sure why having a plastic tablet is an issue at all. The first thing 90% of tablet owners do is buy a leather case for it. I’ve been using plastic laptops for years, even my car is plastic! Who cares, it works.

At least we don’t have wifi and gps problems like some of those metal back tablets have, just sayin.

litlprince

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I’m not sure why having a plastic tablet is an issue at all. The first thing 90% of tablet owners do is buy a leather case for it. I’ve been using plastic laptops for years, even my car is plastic! Who cares, it works.

At least we don’t have wifi and gps problems like some of those metal back tablets have, just sayin.

There it is.. Thats what i wanted to hear.... All these complaints about plastics and such. Most people dont realize what around them is actually made of plastic. But the biggest thing is that people say that for such an expensive device they expect it to be made of something special.. Well that tablet is only $500 which pales in comparison to these laptops that range from 500-1000 easily and are made of plastics as well. I've never heard anyone complain about plastics on laptops but for some reason tablets and phones get a bad rap..

TopJimmy2

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Not saying every product fails, but three out of four of mine did. Two of them within the warranty period.

But it is not just about failure rates, it is about how a company steps up when you have a problem. The last straw incident for me, was my last in-warranty issue with one of their products. Samsung USA never followed up as they said they would from day one, and on numerous occasions. And finally, after two unsuccessful attempts to fix the issue, they told me there was nothing else they could do. We're talking about a $3500 TV here.

I am glad you have had no issues with your Sammy's. God help you if you do.

I've had the total opposite of your experience with Sammy. My $3,000 Samsung plasma tv had issues 6 months out of warranty and they replaced it with the $4, 000 current year model. Bigger screen too.

Tip: when dealing with Samsung's warranty people ask for Executive Support or Executive Customer Service if you don't get anywhere with the people who are initially assigned to your case.

I'll never buy another brand again but to each their own.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Folks,

OK, so this has gotten a bit off topic, but it started with the topic I'm interested in -- the back of the Note 10.1.

I just picked one up, and the included documentation is pathetic. So, thank goodness for forums like this!

Anyway, so I see that the back of my new Note 10.1 has a clear plastic covering -- it looks like the kind of "peel this off" stuff that you normally remove from your new electronic gizmos.

But, I remember seeing something about the back in this forum before I noticed the back of my Note -- otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have peeled the thing off. Or at least tried to.

So, simple question: Is this something that can be peeled off, should be peeled off, or should not be peeled off??

Thanks for your sage advice!

thoots

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
bluzman,

Yeah, I finally got the guts up to do it. MUCH nicer. I found all of the other little strips of protective film, too. I think. Dang, there's a bunch of them!

Now, if only I could find a cover to cover the tablet all up with. ;-)

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
bluzman,

Yeah, I finally got the guts up to do it. MUCH nicer. I found all of the other little strips of protective film, too. I think. Dang, there's a bunch of them!

Now, if only I could find a cover to cover the tablet all up with. ;-)
Yup, I know what you mean. I thought I got them all a couple of weeks ago...NOT. Found another small one on the top edge the other day.

As for covers/cases, here's what I'm using: Amazon.com: Blurex Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Slim Folio Case-Black: Computers & Accessories. It's thin and light but holds the device securely. I use one of their similar products on my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan