Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: No mass USB storage -- now what can I do??

Well,

I didn't see the operating system the main poster was on.

I don't need USB Debugging mode enabled below, using Galaxy S3, with Jellybean 4.1.2. It may work for other phones.

I'm also not rooted, nor have any apps for mass storage installed. I leave the phone mode in MTP.

With Windows 7, you should be ok with just the Samsung drivers, Windows 7 should pop up the windows explorer view of the media (both phone and card).

On XP, the solution I found was to have the phone show up under Portable Devices in device manager.

On the most basic system, with no custom drivers or tweaked detection of the USB devices, two basic things are needed:

1) Samsung's USB drivers, found on their website.
    2) Windows media player 11, or SDK.

I happen to hate Microsoft's Windows Media Player, so while my system still retains WMP9, the SDK allowed me to fix the Phone detection and not upgrade to WMP11.

If you have upgraded Windows Media Players over 9, perhaps this solution won't work for you?

()

Install the drivers, this will at least get your phone detected, but it will likely show up as an Imaging Device or Media Device with limited access to the phone's storage.

Installing the SDK seems to help the phone show up as a Portable Device, which may by default help populate a Windows Explorer link to the storage on the phone (both phone and memory card).

Windows should pop up a window asking what you wish to do with the media device, and if you select select "Open Device to View Files" and check "always perform this", you should then pop up a windows explorer window anytime you plug in the phone.

If it does not, you may need to change the driver for the phone under Portable Devices to some MTP device.

Update Driver
    Install from Other location
    Dont search driver
    On my system, 3 devices show up, one is Digital Still Camera, the other is MTP Device, and a third is Samsung Mobile MTP Device.

As long as I select one of the MTP devices, the phone then pops up on windows explorer.

You can right-click on the windows explorer Phone Icon, properties, autoplay tab, to change how it behaves when the phone is plugged in.

-Henry S.

Great idea, but nothing like USB Mass Storage Device is shown on my Windows 8.1 laptop when following your suggestion. This ommission by Android is a real game changer for me and it sounds like for many others too. They have rendered some very expensive equipment unfit for purpose for many of us. Take note please Google and rectify asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonwulf View Post
    Have you tried to force Windows to recognize your device as UMS instead of MTP?
    Try this out and let us know:
    1. Go to Device Manager
    2. Find your device and right click and select Update Driver Software
    3. Select Browse from comp and then select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my comp
    4. Tick "Show compatible hardware" and select the USB Mass Storage Device or something similar. If you have many options, do a trial and error.
    5. Click on Next and get the driver installed.

Try it out if this works for you.

1. Go to Device Manager
    3. Select Browse from comp and then select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my comp
    4. Tick "Show compatible hardware" and select the USB Mass Storage Device or something similar. If you have many options, do a trial and error.

Pls don't do this. I treaded on this path and such wrong drivers was installed (by hit and trial method as envisaged by Lonwulf) that every time I connected the mobile with laptop, immediately a bsod appeared. And even it won't let me change the driver to earlier one also (even in safe mode). Thank god, in the end, sytem restore came to my help (even partially only). But I was spared the pain of reinstalling the full OS.

1. Go to Device Manager

Don't every try this solution. By this (hit and trial method envisaged by Lonwulf) I happened to install such a corrupt/wrong driver that as soon as I connected my mobile with laptop, BSOD appeared and immediately pc rebooted. it didn't give me that much time as to change the driver to prior state, even in safe mode. Ultimately, thank god, I was saved by a system restore (that too not fully, only partially, but so much as to give me a chance to replace the faulty driver).

So, guys, pls don't experiment unless you want to really get in trouble with windows 7.

Late to party but for what its worth....

Also USB debug mode is supposed to be there... Open Settings go to General, find "About device", tap "Build number" several times... Should give you new option in left hand screen..."Developer options"... USB Debugging is in there...

Dale
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

One word: Dropbox.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12