Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default Re: Screen res on the Note 10.1 that bad?

I was a bit concerned with the resolution based on some of the reviews I've read. Plus I have an HTC One X (arguably the best android screen on the market) sorry GSIII. I have also taken a look at friends iPad's and have to say the Note is not that bad. I've noticed a few shortcomings when watching video and fonts are sometimes a bit fuzzy, but, overall I'm not disappointed. I'm very happy with my purchase. The unique features of the Note 10.1 far out weigh the lower resolution, in my opinion.
    Thanked by 3:
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joho0905 View Post
    I was a bit concerned with the resolution based on some of the reviews I've read. Plus I have an HTC One X (arguably the best android screen on the market) sorry GSIII. I have also taken a look at friends iPad's and have to say the Note is not that bad. I've noticed a few shortcomings when watching video and fonts are sometimes a bit fuzzy, but, overall I'm not disappointed. I'm very happy with my purchase. The unique features of the Note 10.1 far out weigh the lower resolution, in my opinion.
    Awesome! Glad you like it. I think that's what I am getting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

I wanted to add in here that you won't be disappointed in your purchase of the Note 10.1. Probably the hardest decision now for you is to get the 32GB version or 16GB.

I originally had an ASUS Transformer (TF101) and it was fine for me till the ICS update made it almost unbearable (I could only surf on it and read books without it crashing). So at the first chance I jumped from it to the Sony Xperia Tablet S to get away from it. I wasn't too happy with the screen size (smaller than the TF101) and resolution at first. Ended up returning it because of how Sony decided to turn off the WiFi while in sleep and the only option I had was the Note 10.1. At first I wasn't too happy with the resolution. To be honest it bothered me to no end and I almost returned it. But after sticking with it for a while it doesn't bother me anymore. As others stated, the price vs. resolution comparisons you see out there are the worst comparisons to make on this tablet. The people buying this tablet are not buying it for the resolution but for the hardware behind the screen (and in the screen).
    Get rid of all the randomness in the world and you will have a world without hamsters.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betsuni View Post
    I wanted to add in here that you won't be disappointed in your purchase of the Note 10.1. Probably the hardest decision now for you is to get the 32GB version or 16GB.

I originally had an ASUS Transformer (TF101) and it was fine for me till the ICS update made it almost unbearable (I could only surf on it and read books without it crashing). So at the first chance I jumped from it to the Sony Xperia Tablet S to get away from it. I wasn't too happy with the screen size (smaller than the TF101) and resolution at first. Ended up returning it because of how Sony decided to turn off the WiFi while in sleep and the only option I had was the Note 10.1. At first I wasn't too happy with the resolution. To be honest it bothered me to no end and I almost returned it. But after sticking with it for a while it doesn't bother me anymore. As others stated, the price vs. resolution comparisons you see out there are the worst comparisons to make on this tablet. The people buying this tablet are not buying it for the resolution but for the hardware behind the screen (and in the screen).
    Awesome! Yeah see when it comes down to it I rather have a fast tablet with a lower resolution but runs reliably than a high res display and lagging and slow. Thanks for your input! :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

Just to add something from the other side...... I've never had a retina display anything. At the time i bought the note 10.1 I had a gs3 and right out of the box the resolution didn't bother me ( videos and games all look great) but text bothered me a lot. I read a lot of articles all over the place online. Had the tablet for three months and decided to sell it. For me, it didn't work out. My boyfriend still has his though and absolutely loves it. Good luck with the decision!!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

People hold ppi far too high in priority. The ONLY good thing about 400+ ppi is smoother text. IMHO a samsung amoled display beats everything in picture and video quality. The contrast and colors are just superior. Besides, Samsung makes the ipad display. Don't hold specs so high. You will be happy with a Samsung tablet if you do a lot of picture and video viewing. If you're a heavy book reader, then you might want to consider a tablet with higher ppi

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    Razr ics rooted

Just to add a note regarding using the Note for reading - I have less than perfect vision and found the Note 10.1 to be an excellent e-reader but I did play with settings to find what worked the best for me. And there are different readers that each have some features worth exploring.

I realize this is over a month old, but I just got the Note 10.1 and it is going back. I agree with how good it is in many useful areas, but I went to watch a Netflix movie on it and was amazed that, at this price, the video is so bad. It is like looking at something 3 generations old that should be selling for $200 or less. I had a Kindle fire and the sound and video was very good, of course the speed and intuitiveness of it were really poor. Some say you have to look at apples vs apples. I say you look at cost, what is out there, what you use it for and get the best you can. For me, I was astonished at how bad video was on the Galaxy Note 10.1 and think Samsung took a huge step backward. Don't give me bells and whistles until you have the basics up to date. That is my 2 cents.

I also have an ipad 3rd gen and the screen quality is noticeably better on the ipad. However I still like the feature set of the N10.1 over the ipad so I will be keeping both.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

I had Nexus 10 for some time which is the highest resolution display in the market right now but returned it as there were some hardware issues, battery doesn't last long, and couple of crashes a day. I recently bought Note 10.1 at Costco for $429 which is a really good price.

Resolution is low (specially if you have used iPad or Nexus 10) and it is bothersome if you "really" pay attention to the resolution. Once you are browsing a website or reading a book, you only pay attention to the content not the screen so at that point resolution doesn't matter. There are so much functionality built into this tablet which you'll use in real world that it outweighs any other high res display tablet. Just to give you few.. Not including the obvious S-pen advantage

1. No crashes compared to at least 1 or 2 a day on Nexus 10.
    2. Battery is a powerhouse. I can easily go 2 days with moderate use one one charge. I had to plug in N10 every day and battery drain was just too steep.
    3. No heating after playing graphic intensive games like Asphalt 7.
    4. Side by side apps. Truly multi window/multi tasking tablet. You can crop a picture from a website and drag it to s-note (pretty cool).
    5. Pop up apps like calculator, calendar etc.. which pops up without leaving your main app.
    6. Change display brightness without leaving your app. Notification bar pops from bottom right which has brightness slider. I use it a lot based on the app I'm using.
    7. Split keyboard for fast typing.
    8. Hand writing recognition is really good, you can write an email using s-pen.
    9. Even though screen resolution is low, videos look pretty good.
    10. Using s-pen to hover over the menus to open sub-menus is awesome. S-pen works like a mouse.
    11. It tracks your eye so if you are looking at the screen then the display doesn't go dim on you. Perfect when reading long news articles.
    12. It saves your clipboard history so you can access any previous clipboard item from a special key on the keyboard.

Its been only few days I have had my Note 10.1 and I'm still learning about the functionality built into this tablet. It would be awesome if they release Note with high res display but without it its not bad either.
    Last edited by ahg2003; 02-13-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Added couple more points

Just make sure its not netflix or your connection. When I watch netflix on my less than 4 month old smart tv, I find the picture terribly inconsistent. Within the same movie it will be clear and then fuzzy enough to make you wonder why your watching it.

I personally find movies on my note to be clear and smooth. I would just suggest trying some different movies, media, photos, or whatever to make your decision. Then if you dont like it, take it back. My purchase wasnt based on the screen, but maybe yours will be.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12