Date keeps resetting itself to 2008

superjediman

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that I couldn't get access to Google Play etc (could not connect), and worked out it was because the date had reset itself to 2008.

So I set the date to 2012 and Google Play etc. started working.

But I noticed that if I powered off the device (hold the power button for a few seconds and choose power off) and switch it back on, that the date is now back to 2008 (and Google Play stops working again).

I thought it could be to do with the Syncing of the device, but that seems to be switched on. So how can I fix this? It's really bugging me!

I'm on 4.0.4 of Android.

Cheers

superjediman

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
To confirm, I have the Wifi only version (16gb).

If anyone else has the 16gb Wifi version of the Galaxy Note 10.1, I would appreciate if you can check whether you get the same issue, if you fully switch off your device.

I'm trying to work out whether it's is a settings issue, the OS or my device. If it's a device issue, then it's going back.

Cheers

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been on here just about daily since the forum was opened and I've never heard of such a thing, on here or elsewhere. I used to have a computer that would do that and it turned out the internal clock had a bad battery. I don't know if tablets work like that, or frankly if computers do anymore. I, too, was hoping someone with some real technical experience might have some ideas. Good luck and let us know what the end result is please.

superjediman

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well, I did a factory reset, and switched it totally off and on, and again the date changed to 2008. So I have no choice but to return it for another one.
I bet that there is an internal battery, and that its just not getting charged.

Can you guess what my 1st test will be when I get it :)

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, I did a factory reset, and switched it totally off and on, and again the date changed to 2008. So I have no choice but to return it for another one.
I bet that there is an internal battery, and that its just not getting charged.

Can you guess what my 1st test will be when I get it :)

I'm glad you'll get it replaced but I can't even imagine it's really a separate internal battery. It's certainly one strange gremlin! If they tell you anything about what causes such a thing, please let me know. I'm curious whether it's some circuit or the software or..... lord, if the clock really runs on a wafer thin hearing aid battery or something! Good luck!