Arrggh! How to screen shot, edit, then email?

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I just spent a very frustrating 30 minutes plus with my Note. My mission seemed simple. I wanted to send an email where I wrote some directions, then embedded a screenshot of a website where I drew on the screenshot to circle a link to click, then write some more directions, then embed a second screenshot of the next page on the website with another spot on the screen circled.

And I can't figure out a simple, easy way to do it.

I started by tapping the Screen Shot icon to grab the first web page. Then I tapped the notification area and tapped the notification to open the saved screen shot. That prompted me to choose what to open it with.

I tried Photoshop, but I don't see any way in there to draw on the picture with the S-pen.

So, I opened it with S-Note. First, that then makes me choose a note template. That is annoying for 2 reasons. One, I don't want a S-note, I just want the JPG I already have, with some doodling on it. Like what I could do on my PC using MS Paint. And, two, S-note makes me a pick a note template and there is not one that just gives me a plain white background.

So, I picked the Idea Note template which just gives me a graph paper background. Then, S-Note won't let me resize the screen shot to the full size of the note page, so whatever background the template uses WILL show around the edges. So then, I tap the menu and choose Change Background and choose plain white. Okay, so now, many taps later, I am finally ready to edit the image I want.

I do my doodling and then choose Export and then JPG. Okay, fine, so now I have the first screenshot saved and I can see it in the S-note Export folder when I go into Gallery.

So then, I go back to my browser, click the link, and then screenshot the next page I want. Again, I jump through all the hoops to get it into S-note how I want and doodle on it, too. It saves as, apparently, an update of the same Idea Note I created for the first screen shot. Then I do Export on that one, to get my second JPG to go in the email I want to send. It says it successfully saves it. But, when I go look in Gallery, the S-note Export folder only has the first image in it. I try again, several times. Including finding the original base screenshot and doing Share on it to open it in S-note again and doodle on it again. Finally, only after editing it in S-note, then doing a Save, then doing a Close, then opening it again and doing the Export, I get my second edited screenshot saved and showing up in my S-note Export folder.

At that point, I made my email, attached the two images and sent it to myself on my PC so I could actually save the files off then embed them in a new email so they showed as inline images instead of just as file attachments.

What a PAIN! There OUGHT to be a MUCH easier way to do that - and all on the Note, instead of having to finish it on my PC.

Is there?

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Annnnd.... after all that, I just figured out a much easier way to do it. Definitely still not as easy as it should be. I.e. not as easy as it would be on, say, a Windows-based tablet with a stylus, I think. But, way quicker than the first way I did it.

This better way is:

Screen shot the 2 web pages I want.
Start a new note with the first screen shot. Multiple ways to do this. Tap the screen shot saved notification and choose S-note. Or, open S-note and start the note, then do insert pic and choose the screen shot image. Etc..
Add a second page to the note and insert the second image.
Doodle away on the images, then save the note.
Go into email and start a new email (I use Email, not Gmail).
Tap the button that looks like a piece of paper with a pen drawing a squiggly on it. That gives you an S-note dialog that lets you choose Attach or Insert.
Choose Insert and then choose the note you created in S-note.
Choose what pages you want to insert and tap Done.
Choose whether you want Text or Image. In this case, Image.
It will then come back to the email message with an image of each page from the note embedded inline in the message.

You can then enter text above, below or in between them. You can resize them. You can even drag them around to move the images or re-order them within the email message.

Definitely much better than my first go.

I hope this helps somebody else someday.... :D

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
So, with the caveat that I wanted my embedded web page screen shots to be full screen sized (i.e. showing as much as you can see when the browser has the full screen to itself and with the same readability, so not using the browser on half the screen and zoomed out to see the whole web page but everything is too tiny to read), is there any way to do this more easily using Multi View? S-note in one window and the browser in another? I'm thinking that would result in screen shots that have S-note in the picture and the web page image only half as big or showing half as much as I want.

I can't see a way that Multi View would help with this.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So, with the caveat that I wanted my embedded web page screen shots to be full screen sized (i.e. showing as much as you can see when the browser has the full screen to itself and with the same readability, so not using the browser on half the screen and zoomed out to see the whole web page but everything is too tiny to read), is there any way to do this more easily using Multi View? S-note in one window and the browser in another? I'm thinking that would result in screen shots that have S-note in the picture and the web page image only half as big or showing half as much as I want.

I can't see a way that Multi View would help with this.

Stuart, I feel your pain and I'm so sorry you never read one of the threads where I carefully outlined how to do this. I know, this kind of information gets buried in threads that aren't titled in a way that would draw attention to it. See below, I've kind of gotten lazy and just look for an earlier post of mine and then edit it some. Somewhere there's a thread where I posted screenshots that I wrote on and emailed but not sure how far back it is. If what I'm going to paste below isn't what you're looking for, let me know. I've done this a couple of different ways but I think this is the simplest:
Start the web (using stock browser) hit the multi screen and open S Notes on the other side and open either the note you want to add something to, or start a new note. Use the S pen and holding down the button, do long tap on the web page. It will do the screen shot just of the web page and then it will put that screen shot over the web page side. Up at the top left of the screen shot, there are the two tool choices to use to select what you want to copy. Tap your choice of outline to select, then either draw or use the rectangle to outline what you want. When it's right, select done at the top right. You should now be able to slide it directly to your S note using your S pen. When you slide it onto the note, you should get a menu of options next to the graphic. Pick copy and you should have it in your note. You can resize it, move it around, write on it. If, at some point, you want to move it, or resize it, just do a very long hold on it and the outline around the graphic will reappear and you can make your changes

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Stuart, I forgot something. If you have the handwriting recognition turned on in the S note, you can't use your finger to slide over the piece of the web that you want. It will only get to the border and quit. But if you use the S pen, it will go over fine. Also, I've done this with Polaris documents too but I was so used to QuickOffice that I got frustrated and just got used to using S notes for doing it. I think you've had quite enough frustration for one day, I certainly don't want to accidentally cause any more.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
J, Thank you!!

Based on your instructions I was able to not only accomplish my task that way, but I found a different approach that would also help in some circumstances. If I don't use Multi Screen, I can just press the stylus button and long-tap the browser screen. When I do that, it does a screen cap and then opens the image and lets me doodle on it right then - with no use of S-note. Then I click Save and it saves it in a separate folder called Capture_Edited. I can then do multiple ones and then attach them all to one email. OR, I can do the first one and right from the editor, hit the Menu and choose Share Via Email and send it right out (if I only want to send one).

Unfortunately, while all these things are better than what I figured out yesterday, none are exactly what I want. What I want is to capture and edit images without having to use S-Note and then embed them inline in an email message. I can do one, or the other, but not both. If I capture and edit without using S-note, there is no way I can find to insert the resulting image files inline in an email message. If I use S-note, I can put each image on a separate page of a note and then insert the note into an email and have each page rendered as a separate JPG which gets put inline (or as an attachment) in the message body (as I discovered yesterday).

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to (re-)post your info for me!

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
J, Thank you!!

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to (re-)post your info for me!

Not a problem. I only mentioned saying it before because some folks would get a sense of deja vu. Anyway, I'm glad you figured out how to do it on a whole screen and switching to another and copying it in. I could never figure out how to succinctly write it up. You did VERY well! You know, there should be a way to do what you want.... it's a puzzle. I like puzzles....... stay tuned.......

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, Stuart, for a puzzle I could solve!!!
I copied parts of a web page and saved them. I didn't put them on anything right after I saved them. I closed the browser and opened email, started a new message. In the body of the email, I hit the clipboard at the right of the spacebar and there was a whole bunch of things, luckily it included the two pieces of the web page I used to solve the puzzle. After the hassle of trying to connect the dvd drive, it was a pleasure to have something else to work on. See below, I hope this is what you wanted to do. (for some reason, I don't get the option to upload an image. trust me, it worked. ) :)

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Okay! So now I see there's actually 2 ways to do it.

First, I use SwiftKey for my keyboard, so I never even realized the Samsung keyboard had that clipboard button. Cool! And sure enough, that lets me do what I want.

The second way is a button I never paid attention to before in the toolbar of the message body editor. There's an Insert Image button there that let me go into Gallery and select my image from the Capture_edited folder and insert it inline in the message also. Nice!

So, after much ado and lots of help from J, I can now do exactly what I wanted to do.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz