Recommendations for a good on-screen tablet keyboard?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for a good tablet keyboard for my GN. I've been using Swype as my preferred keyboard on my phone and galaxy note tablet. I really like Swype, and can go pretty fast with it, but not optimal for use on a big tablet. Even when making the keyboard smaller. Plus the predictive text is driving me nuts with going back to correct mistakes.
I know a lot of people like Swiftkey 3, but honestly, it doesn't get that great of reviews in the play store.Actually lower than most keyboards.
I've been looking at Thumb Keyboard and A. I. Keyboard. Anyone use these or can recommend a good one?
I'd like one that learns your typing, is pretty accurate, and has a good or customizable keyboard. If I find something I like better than Swype, may even switch from Swype on my phone. I'm not a guy who texts a lot, so never really learned the typing with thumbs method. Learned on Swype, because it was faster.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Try the SwiftKey 3 made for Tablets - I believe they have a free version you can try. In Landscape, it has the option to split the keyboard into 2 with a number pad in the middle, much easier to type with on a big Tab like the GNote.

I absolutely love the SwiftKey prediction engine, and the major manufacturers are smart enough to start using them as well. The GS 3 now has the SwiftKey predictive engine built into their native keyboard and the new BlackBerry 10 keyboard also is built around SwiftKey's predictive engine.

I am editing this because i just remembered something - if you like Swype check out "SwiftKey Flow" it's in beta and there is a version for Tablets. This might be more of what you have in mind:

SwiftKey Flow Beta Available for Download

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I looked in the play store for swiftkey flow, but it brings me to an app that is for switching between keyboards on the device. Is that what it is or an actual keyboard?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You have to download the apk from their website. It's in beta.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, I downloaded swiftkey flow from your link. I couldn't get it to Swype like it shows in the video. Played with some of the settings, but couldn't get it to do that. I did try using the split keyboard and am really bad and slow with the thumb typing. I guess because I've never typed that way before.
So far, Swype seems to be the fastest for me. I did try turning off next word prediction in Swype settings and now a lot more accurate without having to go back and correct everything when I use it.

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry didn't know of this until you reported, I've been using it on the phone without problem, but hadn't gotten it to my GNote 10.1 as yet. Apparently Flow will work in portrait mode, but not in landscape - it's a known issue, they are working on it - per the VIP Forum

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I put SwiftKey Flow back on my Note, and you're right it works only in portrait mode. I've only been using it to practice a few notes and an email, and surprised at how accurate it is! I like that it doesn't give you like 6 words in the predictive text like Swype beta does. There are a couple things to get use to. Such as when I hit the shift key sometimes the whole word gets capitalized. I think it's because it automatically capitalizes at the beginning of each sentence. Which is something I have to get accustomed to. When they fix the flow in landscape mode, it'll probably replace Swype for me. Hope that happens soon.

Astron206

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
SwiftKey is my saviour and I have used it on my phone for a while so it was only normal to get it for my tablet and it runs very well and feels great and accurate. It's my recommendations for an on screen.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Android Central Forums

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at thumb keyboard from the amazon app store. I like it better than swiftkey, just a matter of personal preference though!

scassel

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Perfect Keyboard is another good choice imo. No Swype though.

Edit - I need to update my signature. It's been a while :p

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
There is a reason SwiftKey is always at the top of the Apps list as most downloaded. I don't know a company that listens to their users more, and doesn't believe they know better than you - they just give us what we ask for!!!!!

It's the reason I am a major fanboy!

Remember the discussion we had about getting Flow in the tablet keyboard - well today I got the update that they have included it, not just in the large one piece keyboard, but also in the split one was well (thought that is a lot harder to use), still it's exactly what we asked for here. And if you don't want it, well, now there is a radio button when you install that you can simply turn it off.

I imagine there is going to be a version of SwiftKey in every Android I own (and now apparently, every BlackBerry too).

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Swiftkey Flow now, ever since I started this thread. After being a Swype user for years. It's definitely a lot more accurate. Now it has the Flow on both landscape and portrait mode, so happy now. Only thing is I don't like how you still have to tap out things in Google or address bar, text boxes, and some other places, but well worth it in my Opinion. The Hackers Keyboard is nice and I checked it out, but more like my Windows PC keyboard, not really as good for the tablet I think, JMO. Plus no Swipe gesturing. I do like how it has the numbers all on one keyboard face with the letters.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana