Similar to Nexus 10?

J0n2

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I had not considered this device, I was wanting the Nexus 10, but I am not sure we'll see stock in the UK before Android 6.

Except for the screen, performance wise are these two devices around the same? I would say I don't really have use for the stylus, it's more the CPU and memory spec that appeals to me...

I am most likely to use the device for:
Browsing
eReading
Videos (iPlayer etc.)
Perhaps games

I am also a developer, and would like to get in to some android development.

How comfortable would the form factor be for eReading, also does the Wi-FI version come with Bluetooth and GPS, some websites say they do, others, including Samsung's, say nothing.

Scooter04

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I think the "form factor" is a matter of preference. The WiFi version has bluetooth and GPS (I have one). I am not disappointed in the screen. Pictures and video look great.

If you dont want the s-pen then maybe get the tab and not the note and save a few bucks. I personally wanted the s-pen.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Also keep in mind: The Nexus 10 does not have expandable storage (the Note can take a 64gb micro sd card) and no USB host functionality.

J0n2

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
If you dont want the s-pen then maybe get the tab and not the note and save a few bucks. I personally wanted the s-pen.

Seems like it has only a dual core 1ghz vs the quad core 1.4ghz - I was guessing that might have a big difference? There is about ?40 price difference here between the two (Note = ?318 - ?50 c/b, Tab 2 ?285 - ?50 c/b ) For cashback I would have to buy today!

Scooter04

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry, I didn't realize it had a different processor. I didn't look at it as I was after the s-pen. Well it sounds like a personal preference then. Not sure how it compares but a buddy of mine picked up an acer 10" tab of some sort. I could remember the model if I looked it up. Has half the memory of my 10.1, maybe even half the ram. But I was surprised how quick it was on the net and he just got a jelly bean update yesterday I believe. $350 and it actually prints to a printer!

I like you was going to look at the galaxy note 10.1 and the nexus 10. I chose the pen due to how I use it for work, so I did not really even look further. I have friends with iPads but I have Samsung products, droid smart phones, etc., so it was a no brainer for me. All my stuff connects and play's well together. Well the exception is printing. My droid 4 smart phone prints flawlessly to my hp . . . this tablet however does not.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I would say from what you consider important, waiting for the Nexus 10 might be the way to go. What you want is not what the note specializes in, and especially since you want to do some developing, the Nexus series is meant for developers. It could be useful for you to have the nexus and it's fast updates.

J0n2

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I checked the shop today but they were out of stock; I can still do a click and collect and the invoice will be dated today, but I might hold off now.

I am now learning that games people are developing specifically for Tegra devices, which neither Nexus 10 or Note 10.1 are! How disjointed is Android going to become if this is the way forward?!

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean. There was a game I wanted to download, but I couldn't, because it said not compatible with my device. I contacted the developer and asked when it will be and why it's not? They said it's only for devices with a Tegra Processor. He said they may be making a version for the GN though, but since you posted this, wondering if they will or not.

J0n2

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It'll end up being a plus for iPad because everybody has the same hardware, so the problem is just not there. Note I am not a fan of iPad or Apple at all, and will not buy one.

But I can see android going a bit like this:

Tegra 3 is now the in CPU, so you need one of these devices as a consumer to play the latest games, this is despite devices such as GN being the more powerful on many benchmarks.
In 2 months time, maybe the Mali T604 will be in the GPU, so you need one of those devices too for the latest games.
In a year's time, maybe the Tegra X will be the best, so you better get one of those!

I can understand enhancing a game for specific hardware, but not writing it altogether. It will make the android system too complicated for most users, they won't know what they need to play the latest game or download the most apps etc. so they will just go for the iPad. At least with a PC, buy a decent graphics card you know it'll do pretty much everything, no matter who the manufacturer is, for a long while, even if its at gradually reduced quality.

I myself rarely play games, but will the market stop at games, and in six months time will the thing that just cost me ?260 struggle with the latest apps?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I'm not really that interested in getting the latest Games for the Galaxy Note. I use it more for Notes and Drawing, but I also do play some games on it. If I wanted something for games, I would get an Xbox or something similar. I like to play some games on mine, but not a priority to choose an Android Tablet. The one game I was mentioning above, has been the only one I've actually run into so far that wasn't compatible with my GN. So not a problem for me at the moment. There are a lot of great games I've seen that work fine with the GN.

J0n2

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I decided to buy one in the end, pick it up Thursday - it's going to come in ?100 less than the Nexus, it's in stock now and I won't be limited to 16GB or pay more to be limited to 32GB.

If I decide to do any serious development, I might then go for a Nexus 7 too to make sure I have the latest android, but knowing me I will not get around to it (I am a full time developer and motivating myself to learn anything in my own time is hard!)

J0n2

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on you decision! Do you mind if I ask where you are getting it for so cheap?

From Tesco Direct in UK, it was ?318 which is the same price as the Nexus 10. But with ?50 cashback from Samsung and Tesco loyalty points (3000 extra of them on a voucher code, equivalent to ?30) and TopCashBack that makes it equivalent of around ?230. I hope Samsung honour the cashback, the order/invoice was 31st but the collection date is January, I can't see why this should matter.

Unfortunately though all of those deals have now ended, Tesco put the price up to ?355, cashback was for purchases before 31st Dec and the clubcard points voucher expired too.

J0n2

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Seems the Nexus 10 is available again now!

The note 10.1 seems fine however, although I've noticed two minor problems and not sure if its me or others have it too.

If using handwriting as input, instead of keyboard, often when it gets to the right hand side of the screen it stops writing. If I just draw random lines continually I don't have the problem, so it looks like it just struggles to keep up accepting input whilst translating handwriting?

If using the pen as a touch device, often the touches are not recognised the first time, have to try two or three times - I don't get this with fingers...

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Seems the Nexus 10 is available again now!

The note 10.1 seems fine however, although I've noticed two minor problems and not sure if its me or others have it too.

If using handwriting as input, instead of keyboard, often when it gets to the right hand side of the screen it stops writing. If I just draw random lines continually I don't have the problem, so it looks like it just struggles to keep up accepting input whilst translating handwriting?

If using the pen as a touch device, often the touches are not recognised the first time, have to try two or three times - I don't get this with fingers...

I noticed that second problem in the reviews I was watching. Does anyone else experience that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze