1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Just bought my first Android Tablet and sold my iPad 2. I'm loving it. However, I want root it. I keep seeing a lot about the zip file below.

RootGalaxyNote10.1.zip (I'm assuming I need this zip file on my PC in order extraxt files)

I cant find this anywhere. When I do it wants to download a program called 7zip. Am I on the right track here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Rooting Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

7zip is a normal .zip unzipper. If you don't have any other program that can unzip files, then go ahead and install 7zip. Then you should just be able to "open" (unzip) the downloaded .zip file, and proceed from there :-)
    Thanked by:
    MIKES3 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Very cool. I wasn't sure if it was spam. Ty

No problemo :-)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It's turns into a mess if I try and download that program. To many othere programs try and sneak in. Not sure if I reallly trust it.

Does anyone already have this zip file they can send to me?

Have you tried WinZip? That is usually free for a Trial Period. I use to have that. I also, didn't like 7Zip. Also, do a Custom Install, when downloading freeware. That way, you can uncheck or say NO to all the extra add-ons and crap they try to make you install when downloading a program.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Andy847 View Post
    Have you tried WinZip? That is usually free for a Trial Period. I use to have that. I also, didn't like 7Zip. Also, do a Custom Install, when downloading freeware. That way, you can uncheck or say NO to all the extra add-ons and crap they try to make you install when downloading a program.
    Yeah I like WinZip as well. The strange thing is every time I click a link for the zip file I get Transfered to that 7zip website. I'm almost at the point of waiting for the Jellybean update

You don't need to Root to get the Jelly Bean Update. Go to this link and Read the comments on what some people did::

Then read some of the comments below on this site:

It seems all you need to do is Flash the German ICS rom and then get an app in the Play store to change the Country Code to German code. You should then get the German Updates to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and then 4.1.2 OTA. I'm considering this, but all this is new to me, so may give the U.S. Version of the update a couple more weeks. If I don't see it by mid January, then I'm going to do it the way these sites say to do it. Seems a little easier to me than Rooting, just don't want any problems if I do it incorrectly or causes problems on my device.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 16GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Andy847 View Post
    You don't need to Root to get the Jelly Bean Update. Go to this link and Read the comments on what some people did::

Then read some of the comments below on this site:

It seems all you need to do is Flash the German ICS rom and then get an app in the Play store to change the Country Code to German code. You should then get the German Updates to Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and then 4.1.2 OTA. I'm considering this, but all this is new to me, so may give the U.S. Version of the update a couple more weeks. If I don't see it by mid January, then I'm going to do it the way these sites say to do it. Seems a little easier to me than Rooting, just don't want any problems if I do it incorrectly or causes problems on my device.

Those are some nice links. I was reading up on the German Jellybean upload as well. I was unsure for a while as to what i wanted to do. Root or upgrade then eventually root. I was going to wait 2-3 weeks as well and see if they had the us version or better idea on release date.

Yeah, I think it's wise to wait a little bit longer. I've waited this long, a couple more weeks will not matter. By that time, it'll be over a month since the German release. I don't see why it should take so long. I think I read that someone did the German update on the. Gt-n8013 version and then returned the country code back to U.S. and said that when the U.S. Update does come out, it will just overwrite the German version on the tablet.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

There's an even simpler way posted on XDA, a one-step process using Odin, no root required.

There is an easier method than that. No odin. As simple as running an installed application. Search for chainfires exynos abuse exploit. Worked perfectly for me

Quote Originally Posted by G3TCASHM0N3Y View Post
    There is an easier method than that. No odin. As simple as running an installed application. Search for chainfires exynos abuse exploit. Worked perfectly for me
    This roots your device. I was talking about installing jellybean with one-step in answer to Andy847 who discussed a more complicated method of installation. Also word is Avast anti-virus protection protects you from this malware, so unless you want to root don't install Chainfire's app.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Johnson 4164 View Post
    This roots your device. I was talking about installing jellybean with one-step in answer to Andy847 who discussed a more complicated method of installation. Also word is Avast anti-virus protection protects you from this malware, so unless you want to root don't install Chainfire's app.
    Oh, you are correct. It is very easy to instwll jb one step through odin.

Well, I went ahead and did the XDA non rooting method to get Jelly Bean. First I did the Two Step method, but It said Custom not Official, so went back to the One Step method and did that. It still says Custom not Official. Then I tried Wiping my device through Recovery mode and still have the Custom showing under Device. So spent all night putting everything back onto my Galaxy Note, but all the ways I did it worked no problem. I should have just left it alone after doing it the One Step method the second time. Oh Well, now I know better. I read later in the XDA Thread that I should be able to go back and flash the U.S. ICS back and then install the U.S. Jelly Bean update and hopefully go back to Official Status. I didn't change the CSC code, but since I wiped everything, I might as well have done that so I can get 4.1.2 update. Not a big deal though, I'm happy with 4.1.1. It's very smooth, and everything seems to work ok the short times I played with it tonight. Definitely was worth it. It was my first time using Odin and putting a custom Rom on anything.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Johnson 4164 View Post
    There's an even simpler way posted on XDA, a one-step process using Odin, no root required.
    Do you have a link by chance?

Thanks...

Global Posts
    2,817 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

^^^ nevermind.. Think I found it.

Thanked by:
    MIKES3 

That's it.