Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Something I just discovered today about charging the note 10.1

i noticed mine did this today, i was using a Belkin wall charger. first time using it with this device. i thought there was something wrong with it. plugged it into a laptop & the same X over the battery was there.
    never noticed it till today. Got home & plugged it into the factory Samsung wall charger & it was fine, I tested it on my other genuine samsung wall charger which is the same specs - 5v/2amp (charger is for my Note 2 phone) & the X came up! hmmm.
    seems odd & something Samsung should rectify.

This is a safety feature implemented by Samsung. The Tab/Note can pull 2.1 Amps across USB, and if not properly regulated - it will fry the USB controller on a computer. as mentioned earlier in this thread, you can buy a PWR+ adapter, this will allow you to charge the tablet at full rate over USB (Full rate being whatever that charger can deliver), with any USB-out charger. Just google PWR+ adaper - should be available on amazon, ebay etc for about $5-6.

For a more in-depth explanation, check out this thread over @ xda-developers:

If you're brave, it also covers both a DIY adapter - and a software solution for rooted devices running Pershoot's kernel.

I just got my Galaxy Note 10.1 and I have found it will allow charging with any connection however the unit will only do so when it is switched off.
    I does not charge at any other time slowly, quickly or in between. If its switched on it simply wont charge and displays the red cross over the battery symbol
    and the word "Disharging ..." when you look at the battery via app management.

Sorry if you guys have covered this already. Just adding 2 cents worth from personal observations .

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

interesting thread.....thanks!

just tried a "Snow Lizard" battery pack (Office Depot-on sale for $30, normally $50) using included charging cable that came with the tablet
    it seems to be working - Note 10.1 says Discharging with red X however it is at 73% after starting at 63% about an hour ago

I am having the exact same problem. In fact, it will not charge off on iPad charger either. Is this a known problem?
    John Semler likes this.

Question Re: Something I just discovered today about charging the note 10.1

What if my charger shows the X even if it is using the wall outlet?

My n8010 behaves as described above - red X on battery at bottom right when not using the supplied wall charger. I've found it will onlly charge to 99% with the non wall charger. The wall charger goes to 100%. THe interesting twist is that if I put a USB extension cable between the wall charger & the supplied cable, the red X appears and it only charges slowly to 99%.

You can't rely on that little red X as meaning that it's not charging at all. I have the BlackBerry premium car charger that I use with my PlayBook that has the little extra USB plug in it. When I plug it into it it shows the X, but I can leave it on and it indeed still will charge.

I have exactly the same problem. Purchased my galaxy tab 10.1 in sept 2013 and yesterday it started to show the red x and refuse to charge. But, if i charge it when the power is off, it seems to charge, though possibly more slowly.

- - - Updated - - -

I have exactly the same problem. Purchased my galaxy tab 10.1 in sept 2013 and yesterday it started to show the red x and refuse to charge. But, if i charge it when the power is off, it seems to charge, though possibly more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by tooky85 View Post
    I use this external charger, . It has a dedicated Samsung port and they note, .

No red X when charging.
    Thanks so much! I've had this charger since December and I never knew that port S was for Samsung tablets. I was already scouting to buy another power block just for my Galaxy Note 10.1! You just saved me a hundred dollars.
    :-)

Have you bought anything else in the future? LOL

I have confirmed this mobile charger: Amazon.com: PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w High Output Car Charger works for the Galaxy Note 10.1. I have it and it charges my tablet even when its on with no red X. Use the N/A port. Took me multiple purchases and returns to get the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by W Long View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by brian tracey1 View Post
    THe interesting twist is that if I put a USB extension cable between the wall charger & the supplied cable, the red X appears and it only charges slowly to 99%.
    Similar results from my Note 10.1: I discovered the red X on the icon today. I searched and found this thread. I too am using a USB extender. When I disconnected the connector and reconnected it, the red X was replaced with the green lightning bolt as if to indicate it was charging. But while actively using the Note while in this configuration, the battery charge level slowly decreased (is at a 16% level). I am having a difficult time accepting the possibility that the USB extender would be a factor, but who knows.

I reduced the screen brightness to the lowest bearablelevel and the battery level is trending upward slowly. Now at 17% after a few minutes of typing in this post .
    Phone: Motorola Photon 4G
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by bgoodr View Post
    Similar results from my Note 10.1: I discovered the red X on the icon today. I searched and found this thread. I too am using a USB extender. When I disconnected the connector and reconnected it, the red X was replaced with the green lightning bolt as if to indicate it was charging. But while actively using the Note while in this configuration, the battery charge level slowly decreased (is at a 16% level). I am having a difficult time accepting the possibility that the USB extender would be a factor, but who knows.

I reduced the screen brightness to the lowest bearablelevel and the battery level is trending upward slowly. Now at 17% after a few minutes of typing in this post .
    Before adding the extension cable, you probably had just enough voltage and current to charge adequately. Once you add the extension cable you will have voltage drop along the cable and the extra connectors bringing your power delivery below spec.

You could try using a USB booster cable instead, but that may not solve the problem.
    Thanked by:
    bgoodr 

Quote Originally Posted by repligation View Post
    Before adding the extension cable, you probably had just enough voltage and current to charge adequately. Once you add the extension cable you will have voltage drop along the cable and the extra connectors bringing your power delivery below spec.

You could try using a USB booster cable instead, but that may not solve the problem.
    Thanks. As an experiment, I charged my Note 10.1 overnight between around 11:50PM and now which is 6:33AM, but with the 6 foot USB extension cable in the loop, and the charge increased from about 20% to only 56%. I had it turned off via the power button so the screen was off for the whole time. I wonder how hard it would be to prove the lackluster charging performance is due to IR losses in the USB cable, versus extra processing being done in background processes running while I am expecting little to no CPU utilization?

bg

I just got my Note 10.1 so I happened to be reading the manual pdf and saw this regarding the red x on the battery in the status bar:
    USB Connection Indicator: The device is connected
    to a computer using a USB cable, but it is not
    charging. The battery is only charged while
    connected to a computer, if the device is turned off.
    When the device is off, press the Power/Lock key to
    see the battery charging indicator.
    Samsung Galaxy S3, Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

I just got my Note 10.1 so I happened to be reading the manual pdf and saw this regarding the red x on the battery in the status bar:

The battery is only charged while
    connected to a computer, if the device is turned off.
    Well, if that was the case then we couldn't charge it from the wall adapter. I still think there is an issue with USB extension cables. I've moved to using a regular AC extension cable between the wall outlet and the AC-to-USB adapter, and have given up on the USB extension cable. I don't understand why it would matter and was hoping someone would chime in with an answer. Using a heavy AC extension cord is less desirable than using a thinner USB extension cable.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoodr View Post
    Well, if that was the case then we couldn't charge it from the wall adapter. I still think there is an issue with USB extension cables. I've moved to using a regular AC extension cable between the wall outlet and the AC-to-USB adapter, and have given up on the USB extension cable. I don't understand why it would matter and was hoping someone would chime in with an answer. Using a heavy AC extension cord is less desirable than using a thinner USB extension cable.
    The 120VAC (+/- 5%) traveling through the extension cord has no power loss over its length in comparison to a post-transformer (wall adapter) 5V DC USB cable. In using the AC extension cord you are essentially moving the wall outlet electrically closer to your device so that the transformer and the original USB cable have the same acceptable losses as they would if plugged directly into the wall.

Using the USB extension cable is kind of like trying to water a plant from across the yard with the nozzle of your garden hose. Much of that water is going to get dispersed along the yard before it gets to where the plant can use it. If you walk up to the plant and spray directly over it with the nozzle of your garden hose, almost all of the water will go directly where the plant can use it.
    The garden hose is the AC extension cord, the nozzle is the transformer (wall adapter), and the stream of water is the USB cable.

EDIT: One flaw in this analogy is of course that the water in the hose is not alternating flow like the current is in the extension cord.
    Sorry, having a boring day at work.
    Thanked by:
    bgoodr 

... the water in the hose is not alternating flow like the current is in the extension cord.
    That makes sense. The USB cable has DC +5V on its pin 1 and we're asking for trouble in charging using the extension cable. Therefore, I highly suspect this is the underlying reason why Samsung left such a short length of USB coming out of the AC-to-USB transformer in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Botes View Post
    Hi everyone. Please don't be alarmed by what is happening when you connect your note to a usb outlet on your laptop or other device. These usb ports only supply 500mA where the supplied/ recomended charging current is 2000mA. The battery in a tablet is much stronger that a regular phone and therefore requiers a higher charging current. Rather stick to using the supplied charger for best results.

Electrical Engineer
    South Africa
    100% right you device will charge with the low amp unit but will take much longer n you may fine the battery will not last as long.
    Also if u try and change to a longer cable from charger to unit u will also see the same problem slow charge

Posted via Android Central App
    London UK
    Happy Samsung TAB 2 user now I have moved from a tab to a Note 10.1

Default Re: Something I just discovered today about charging the note 10.1. RedX

Yes I too see the red X . You guys aren't alone

mine's the same with the red 'x'. also, had 11% of battery left last night, charged the whole night, and it's still appearing as 11% this morning. been charging since morning, it's still 11% (using wall plug). no idea what the hell is wrong with it anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

mine's the same with the red 'x'. also, had 11% of battery left last night, charged the whole night, and it's still appearing as 11% this morning. been charging since morning, it's still 11% (using wall plug). no idea what the hell is wrong with it anymore.

Hey there, I received a Samsung Galaxy note10.1 as a gift from my husband. Refurbished. Its been on the charger for a week andhighest it charged to was 25% now itwont go above 6%.... please help, should I turn it back in for another one?

Quote Originally Posted by alexandrahensley38 View Post
    Hey there, I received a Samsung Galaxy note10.1 as a gift from my husband. Refurbished. Its been on the charger for a week andhighest it charged to was 25% now itwont go above 6%.... please help, should I turn it back in for another one?
    Perhaps you could be more specific with how exactly you are charging it. Assuming you are using the 2 amp wall plug and short cable rather than a usb port on a computer (which prompted this thread in the first place), you could have a bad cable, plug, receptacle, or battery.

Provided you are attempting to charge it correctly, yes I would return it for a new one. The problem with troubleshooting a cable on this device is the proprietary plug, you are just not likely to have a spare one laying around like you would a microUSB cable. Why spend more money getting a new cable when it could be a problem with the refurb itself?

Good luck.

I'm experiencing the same problem. I purchased my note in April and found that if I use any charging source other than the wall charger I get this red "X" icon over the battery symbol on my charger. I've tried using a power+ usb extend cable with a car charger and got the same symbol while the engine was off and the radio wads playing. But as soon as I turn the car on, the red symbol disappeared. I haven't used my laptop to try and charge my note but I recently purchased a mycharger 6000mah portable charger and especially for recharging my note on the go...plugged the note to the charger and viola the red "x" appeared! To say I was surprise is an understatement! After read this thread I figured that I wasn't the only one having these issues. The advice that has been given, (turning the note off to charge it ) kinda sucks! I brought the charger to use while the note was charging, not turn it off to charge it! I want to have the ability to use it while it charges. I understand the analogy with long cable and short usb cable that came with the note, but how can you use an external charger with high mah capacity using the note own usb cable and still use the note while charging without discharging the battery? Can anyone answer that question? Maybe if I purchased a charger with more mah ability, I probably would have the same problem?? Right? I hope someone has a better solution than just turning the note while charging.
    Last edited by ValYooNeek; 08-24-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: grammar

I now suddenly get same red x ehen wall charging.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast