Something I just discovered today about charging the note 10.1

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I get the red x when using mydual usb charger I carry in my computer bag. However it is still charging albeit slower than with the included charger.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

giffer

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my Note 10.1 this week. It has JB (4.1.2) on it. When I plug in via USB, I get the red X on the bottom battery icon, but my Battery Solo Widget does turn Blue showing a charge. I believe it is charging, but just very slowly.

*Edit* I left my Note plugged in to my PC and turned on while I went lunch. In the hour or so that I was gone it did fully charge from 94% when I left. So it will charge even though there is a red X showing on the battery icon in the bottom tray.

Last edited:

Sean Botes

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. Please don't be alarmed by what is happening when you connect your note to a usb outlet on your laptop or other device. These usb ports only supply 500mA where the supplied/ recomended charging current is 2000mA. The battery in a tablet is much stronger that a regular phone and therefore requiers a higher charging current. Rather stick to using the supplied charger for best results.

Electrical Engineer
South Africa

pinkbellbird

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
i noticed mine did this today, i was using a Belkin wall charger. first time using it with this device. i thought there was something wrong with it. plugged it into a laptop & the same X over the battery was there.
never noticed it till today. Got home & plugged it into the factory Samsung wall charger & it was fine, I tested it on my other genuine samsung wall charger which is the same specs - 5v/2amp (charger is for my Note 2 phone) & the X came up! hmmm.
seems odd & something Samsung should rectify.

Jan Magne Skaue

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
This is a safety feature implemented by Samsung. The Tab/Note can pull 2.1 Amps across USB, and if not properly regulated - it will fry the USB controller on a computer. as mentioned earlier in this thread, you can buy a PWR+ adapter, this will allow you to charge the tablet at full rate over USB (Full rate being whatever that charger can deliver), with any USB-out charger. Just google PWR+ adaper - should be available on amazon, ebay etc for about $5-6.

For a more in-depth explanation, check out this thread over @ xda-developers: DIY Universal USB Charging Adapter (Step-By-Step w/Pics) - xda-developers

If you're brave, it also covers both a DIY adapter - and a software solution for rooted devices running Pershoot's kernel.

Scadeviax

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Galaxy Note 10.1 and I have found it will allow charging with any connection however the unit will only do so when it is switched off.
I does not charge at any other time slowly, quickly or in between. If its switched on it simply wont charge and displays the red cross over the battery symbol
and the word "Disharging ..." when you look at the battery via app management.

Sorry if you guys have covered this already. Just adding 2 cents worth from personal observations .:confused:

gamecockn

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
interesting thread.....thanks!

just tried a "Snow Lizard" battery pack (Office Depot-on sale for $30, normally $50) using included charging cable that came with the tablet
it seems to be working - Note 10.1 says Discharging with red X however it is at 73% after starting at 63% about an hour ago

brian tracey1

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
My n8010 behaves as described above - red X on battery at bottom right when not using the supplied wall charger. I've found it will onlly charge to 99% with the non wall charger. The wall charger goes to 100%. THe interesting twist is that if I put a USB extension cable between the wall charger & the supplied cable, the red X appears and it only charges slowly to 99%.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
You can't rely on that little red X as meaning that it's not charging at all. I have the BlackBerry premium car charger that I use with my PlayBook that has the little extra USB plug in it. When I plug it into it it shows the X, but I can leave it on and it indeed still will charge.

W Long

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. Purchased my galaxy tab 10.1 in sept 2013 and yesterday it started to show the red x and refuse to charge. But, if i charge it when the power is off, it seems to charge, though possibly more slowly.

- - - Updated - - -

I have exactly the same problem. Purchased my galaxy tab 10.1 in sept 2013 and yesterday it started to show the red x and refuse to charge. But, if i charge it when the power is off, it seems to charge, though possibly more slowly.

tetaganda

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

redsideburnz

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you bought anything else in the future? LOL

I have confirmed this mobile charger: Amazon.com: PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w High Output Car Charger works for the Galaxy Note 10.1. I have it and it charges my tablet even when its on with no red X. Use the N/A port. Took me multiple purchases and returns to get the right one.

- - - Updated - - -

bgoodr

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
THe interesting twist is that if I put a USB extension cable between the wall charger & the supplied cable, the red X appears and it only charges slowly to 99%.

Similar results from my Note 10.1: I discovered the red X on the icon today. I searched and found this thread. I too am using a USB extender. When I disconnected the connector and reconnected it, the red X was replaced with the green lightning bolt as if to indicate it was charging. But while actively using the Note while in this configuration, the battery charge level slowly decreased (is at a 16% level). I am having a difficult time accepting the possibility that the USB extender would be a factor, but who knows.

I reduced the screen brightness to the lowest bearablelevel and the battery level is trending upward slowly. Now at 17% after a few minutes of typing in this post .;)

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Similar results from my Note 10.1: I discovered the red X on the icon today. I searched and found this thread. I too am using a USB extender. When I disconnected the connector and reconnected it, the red X was replaced with the green lightning bolt as if to indicate it was charging. But while actively using the Note while in this configuration, the battery charge level slowly decreased (is at a 16% level). I am having a difficult time accepting the possibility that the USB extender would be a factor, but who knows.

I reduced the screen brightness to the lowest bearablelevel and the battery level is trending upward slowly. Now at 17% after a few minutes of typing in this post .;)

Before adding the extension cable, you probably had just enough voltage and current to charge adequately. Once you add the extension cable you will have voltage drop along the cable and the extra connectors bringing your power delivery below spec.

You could try using a USB booster cable instead, but that may not solve the problem.

bgoodr

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Before adding the extension cable, you probably had just enough voltage and current to charge adequately. Once you add the extension cable you will have voltage drop along the cable and the extra connectors bringing your power delivery below spec.

You could try using a USB booster cable instead, but that may not solve the problem.

Thanks. As an experiment, I charged my Note 10.1 overnight between around 11:50PM and now which is 6:33AM, but with the 6 foot USB extension cable in the loop, and the charge increased from about 20% to only 56%. I had it turned off via the power button so the screen was off for the whole time. I wonder how hard it would be to prove the lackluster charging performance is due to IR losses in the USB cable, versus extra processing being done in background processes running while I am expecting little to no CPU utilization?

bg

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Note 10.1 so I happened to be reading the manual pdf and saw this regarding the red x on the battery in the status bar:
USB Connection Indicator: The device is connected
to a computer using a USB cable, but it is not
charging. The battery is only charged while
connected to a computer, if the device is turned off.
When the device is off, press the Power/Lock key to
see the battery charging indicator.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201306/20130620074653187/Generic_GT-N8013_Galaxy_Note_JB_English_User_Manual_MA3_F5.pdf

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX