1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What does "Rooted" mean?

What does rooted or rooting mean and why would a Tablet user want to, or want not to, do it?

Please forgive my ignorance but I'd like to learn what being rooted means and what the advantages or disadvantages are.

Thank You.

Default Re: What does "Rooted" mean?

Rooting allows the user to unlock areas of the device's system and permission level that the OEM says you shouldn't have access to.

This allows you to run custom ROMS (operating system), remove or truly disable bloatware, have the option to do full system back ups or individual file backups and must importantly the data and settings associated with them. These are the most common things people look for when rooting their device.

Only real big disadvantage which isn't a concern to most is your device in its rooted state it's security level is compromised if in the wrong hands. But there are still levels of security the can be used to protect your device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank You

Global Posts
    1,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Rooting allows the user to unlock areas of the device's system and permission level that the OEM says you shouldn't have access to.

This allows you to run custom ROMS (operating system), remove or truly disable bloatware, have the option to do full system back ups or individual file backups and must importantly the data and settings associated with them. These are the most common things people look for when rooting their device.

Only real big disadvantage which isn't a concern to most is your device in its rooted state it's security level is compromised if in the wrong hands. But there are still levels of security the can be used to protect your device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Oh great. I wish you told me this before I planted my Note 10.1 in the ground, watered it, and started waiting for it to grow a couple of Note 2's.
    Card Carrying Device Junkie

Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Asus Transformer Pad TF300 with Dock