Thinking about getting the Note 10.1

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
So this is where I'm at.

I have a BlackBerry PlayBook, an HTC Evo 4G LTE, and an iPad mini. I realized today that after jailbreaking the mini that what I was trying to do is get more of the functionality that I love in my Evo. I was looking at the Galaxy tab 10.1 today and then started researching the note 10.1.
I'm keeping my PlayBook and love it. The mini on the other hand, well I really like it too but then I finally after 2 yrs started thinking perhaps I would be happier with my smaller PlayBook and a larger device rather than 2 seven inch tablets. So Im looking at selling the mini and replacing it with something larger. Maxi ipad is out for sure. The note 10.1 now, that is starting to sound about right for me.

So I started reading thought the threads here and decided that ultimately I would just start one of my own. Keep in mind I've not used an Android tab already. What I ask of you all is this:

-For any of you that have used multiple tabs (or platforms) how do you feel it compares to others available on the market?

-What browsers are available other than Chrome? Is this even worth asking, is Chrome good enough? I don't care for the txt auto flow on my Evo.

-Comparing it to the Galaxy tab 2 10.1, is the price worth it? Quad core vs duel core?

-I'm not an app nut. As long as I have a great browsing experience, that means the world to me. That said, is there anything you feel is seriously lacking compared to other tablets. Android or ipad alike.

-Battery life of course. Those that have used it for some time, how is it? I'm assuming that it runs JB by now. Any performance differences to speak of?

-Video out. I'm sure there is an adapter since there is no standard micro HDMI out. Does it work well and does it work in full mirror mode or is it app specific?

-Any othe helpfull info that you think I need to know before making a decision would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure that others have have posted threads like this before, and sometimes it can be irritating to have the repetition. That said, I do appreciate anyone takes the time to give me their opinions and advice. But now that I have had the ipad for about 4 months, I've determined that its just not for me. It's not the lack of customization that bothers me so much as the lack of a !FILE SYSTEM! like every other device on the f-ing planet!

Thanks for your help all.

ilgal

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
So this is where I'm at.

I have a BlackBerry PlayBook, an HTC Evo 4G LTE, and an iPad mini. I realized today that after jailbreaking the mini that what I was trying to do is get more of the functionality that I love in my Evo. I was looking at the Galaxy tab 10.1 today and then started researching the note 10.1.
I'm keeping my PlayBook and love it. The mini on the other hand, well I really like it too but then I finally after 2 yrs started thinking perhaps I would be happier with my smaller PlayBook and a larger device rather than 2 seven inch tablets. So Im looking at selling the mini and replacing it with something larger. Maxi ipad is out for sure. The note 10.1 now, that is starting to sound about right for me.

So I started reading thought the threads here and decided that ultimately I would just start one of my own. Keep in mind I've not used an Android tab already. What I ask of you all is this:

-For any of you that have used multiple tabs (or platforms) how do you feel it compares to others available on the market? I had an iPad 1st Gen, and then a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and far prefer this Note. The major reasons are, 1) the stylus. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ability to write legibly on this tablet. 2) not having to deal with iTunes. There are several good, free file browser/management apps in the Play store to choose from and they give you a much more PC-like experience when moving content on and off the device.

-What browsers are available other than Chrome? Is this even worth asking, is Chrome good enough? I don't care for the txt auto flow on my Evo. I switch between the stock browser, Chrome, Firefox, Dolphin, and Maxthon. Why? As I've read about various browsers, I download them and try them out. Usually I stick with Chrome or Firefox.

-Comparing it to the Galaxy tab 2 10.1, is the price worth it? Quad core vs duel core? Coming from a Tab 10.1 (1st Gen) I can say I like this one better. It's faster, and the stylus hands-down makes this a no brainer. However, I am more interested in content creation than consumption. If you want a device just to browse the web and the stylus isn't an issue, you can save yourself some $$ by buying the Tab 2.

-I'm not an app nut. As long as I have a great browsing experience, that means the world to me. That said, is there anything you feel is seriously lacking compared to other tablets. Android or ipad alike. Some folks will squawk about the screen resolution. For the physical size of this device, 1280x800 is just fine. I read a lot (the Kindle app, PDF files, web pages) and have used it to watch videos on airplanes, and show off photos. I am perfectly happy with the screen. I also like the front-facing speakers.

-Battery life of course. Those that have used it for some time, how is it? I'm assuming that it runs JB by now. Any performance differences to speak of? Use it quite a bit during the day to take and reference notes. I charge it every 2-3 days. Performance is fast and smooth.

-Video out. I'm sure there is an adapter since there is no standard micro HDMI out. Does it work well and does it work in full mirror mode or is it app specific? Don't use so can't comment

-Any othe helpfull info that you think I need to know before making a decision would be greatly appreciated. The ability to expand storage via MicroSD card is a big plus over the i-devices. If you have a chance to visit a store with one on display and try out the stylus you should do it. I was not even in the market for a tablet (had my G Tab and was looking for a buyer for my iPad) when I saw this in Best Buy. I bought it on the spot and have not looked back.

I'm sure that others have have posted threads like this before, and sometimes it can be irritating to have the repetition. That said, I do appreciate anyone takes the time to give me their opinions and advice. But now that I have had the ipad for about 4 months, I've determined that its just not for me. It's not the lack of customization that bothers me so much as the lack of a !FILE SYSTEM! like every other device on the f-ing planet!

Thanks for your help all.

Good luck with your decision!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a 64GB Playbook but traded it in for the Note 10.1. The experience is so much better. Check out my review on my YouTube channel, TheJCP006. If you get the Note 10.1, you may have update the OS if Jelly Bean OS is not loaded. Search the forums for updating the OS using Samsung Kies that you can download to your pc.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys. It's all a matter of if I want to part with the Mini now. I don't need 3 tablets that for sure. But portability matters to me and I think I'll be better suited with my Playbook for that and make my main full sized tablet the Note 10.1. I've even thought of parting with my Acer Netbook to get one and use it for my main computing needs. I rarely use it anyway. But then I would have no computer at all. Makes me nervous.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol