Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By LegalAmerican
  • 1 Post By jasongeiger
  • 3 Post By LegalAmerican
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 10.1 or 8.0

Hey guys!

I'm torn between getting a 10.1 now or waiting for the 8.0. Any suggestions or comments?

Default Re: Note 10.1 or 8.0

Holding for an extended period of time is where the smaller size excels.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.
    Thanked by:

You can go to the store and look at the Galaxy Tab 8.0 and 10.1 to get an idea of the size difference.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

It depends. I have the 10.1 and love it.

Yes, holding it all of the time can be a pain, but that also depends on the cover you have for it as well as the orientation (portrait or landscape). I usually last it on a flat surface like a piece of paper if I am going to be writing a lot of notes on it.

I will hold it for quick notes. I will usually prop it up if I am watching videos or using other apps.

The 8 would be good for prolonged carrying or holding, but in my opinion, you give up screen real estate to have those pluses. I personally like more screen.

I have a nook as well as had a Nexus 7, but neither did a lot of good for me, so I gave my wife the nook and sold the Nexus 7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks guys. Great comments and suggestions. I appreciate the help! I'll go check out the galaxy tab 8 and see what it's like. Thanks again to all of you.

There is no Tab 8. Not yet at least.

I have a 7" Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210) in addition to my GN 10.1. Not sure how much good the extra real estate you get with an 8" (measured diagonally) vs. 7" does for you when it comes to serious surfing, reading or media creation. As others note, certainly easier to hold for longer periods. My GT7+ gets heavy use as a reader, for getting/sending email and many other simple tasks but the GN 10.1 is and will likely remain my workhorse tablet. JMO
    Thanked by:

I'm interested in the 8" Note, but from what I've been reading online, not sure if I'm going to like it. It looks like an Oversized Phone From the Leaked Pictures of it, not a Tablet. Wish they would have stuck with the Tablet look, like the Galaxy Tab 2 7". Also, just read today, that it may be overpriced, which would definitely be a turnoff for me. I would like it for the size, but just for portability and would still use my 10.1 for most of the work I use it for. Guess we'll just have to wait til the end of the month to see what it's going to look like and sell for.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB
    Thanked by:

I have to voice my feelings on the matter. I bought this Note because I wanted something that could accurately simulate real note taking on paper. Therefore, size was a crucial aspect to me. That being said, I absolutely LOVE the idea of the smaller tablets. I think they are the perfect mix of portability and added screen size. However, I feel like a lot of the advantages of the Note concept are lost on the smaller screen. If I had the money, I would own the Note 10.1, the Note 2 and the Note 8". Simply because I feel that they all have their place and they are all advantageous in their own aspect. I do not have the money, so my first choice is my only choice and that is the Note 10.1.

I now see no point in buying a tablet without the S Pen functionality. If you don't need the pen, it's still a top of the line tablet. If you need the pen, it's there to be used. You can't beat that.
    Thanked by:
    axllebeer, Terran White and ilgal like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks again! I really appreciate all the insight. The responses are constructive and are going a long way to helping me make the decision.

In regards to holding the 10.1 ... I've got small hands and arms (well, I am a 5'4 female so..) and when I know I'm going to be holding it for a while, I'll take it out of it's case and cradle it on my left arm, with my left hand holding it in place, and I'll use my right hand for everything else. Doesn't feel heavy, and it's safe/secure this way.

I had the '7 Nook Tablet before my Note, and I prefer the larger screen size (and power) of the Note 10.1 While the Nook was simply lighter and easier to hold with just one hand. But I often found myself cradling even that one too whenever I'm sitting on my bed watching a movie and browsing.

I love my Note 10.1. I also have a nexus 7 and I prefer the size of the 10.1. It just makes more sense for daily use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Definitely go for the 8.0
    Besides the newer software and hardware, the size is much smaller than the 10.1 (between 10.1 and note 2) but the screen looses only 2 inches.
    For me this would be the best in portability, since I come from a Nexus 7.. And I had 10 inches tablets before.
    Price came out for Europe but it's not official and usa price is always lower.
    It will be around $400 to go against the ipad mini.
    Can't wait to see it reviewed in a few days..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    1,278 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.3

Well, I find the slim Note 10.1, which I carry in the Samsung Book Cover, to be extremely portable. I carry around with me all the time, either in a handbag or my laptop case (normally I carry my Asus Vivobook laptop and my Note to work in a case). I take it out to look at on a city bus or the subway. And I like the larger size for watching videos. Having said that, I like what I read about the new Note 8. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them. Yeah, I know. I'm a big help, aren't I?
    Card Carrying Device Junkie

Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Asus Transformer Pad TF300 with Dock

I have the note 2 and a 10.1. If I had a smaller phone I might consider the 8 but I like these two devices a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Terran White likes this.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

I am thinking about buying a 8.0 inch Note tablet and then I will get a 10 inch Surface RT for notes and homework.

I'm still interested in checking out and maybe getting the GN 8", but I just read today that there will be no 3g or 4g version available in the U.S.! Just WiFi. European countries get it, but not us. That's fine I guess, but I was hoping to be able to have the phone option available also, not that I would use it all the time, but would be nice to have that option. I know it's big for a phone, but if I get it and it's more portable, I can leave my phone home sometimes and use the 8" with my bluetooth earpiece. Just seems like we get less options in the U.S., than other countries do. I'm still hoping the price is good, also.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB

I would definitely go with the Note 8.0 over the Note 10.1 given the improved screen resolution. I also think that for S Pen note taking it makes more sense for the device to be easily held in one hand so that you can write with the other.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraHead View Post
    I would definitely go with the Note 8.0 over the Note 10.1 given the improved screen resolution. I also think that for S Pen note taking it makes more sense for the device to be easily held in one hand so that you can write with the other.

If you plan to write on it while holding it, yes I would also say the 8". For me, I place my 10.1 on the table to write my notes so the size isn't too much of an inconvenience. With devices like these, you really need to first determine exactly how you plan to use them and in what setting. That more than anything will determine which you should choose. The screen on the 10.1 is perfectly fine unless you MUST have the highest possible resolution available at any given second. But if that is the case, you might as well go with a different product altogether because the Note devices are focused more on productivity and creation than media consumtion like most other tablets. Which I prefer because my tablet is only a toy sometimes, but almost always a tool. So I chose the best tool available.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    If you plan to write on it while holding it, yes I would also say the 8". For me, I place my 10.1 on the table to write my notes so the size isn't too much of an inconvenience. With devices like these, you really need to first determine exactly how you plan to use them and in what setting. That more than anything will determine which you should choose. The screen on the 10.1 is perfectly fine unless you MUST have the highest possible resolution available at any given second. But if that is the case, you might as well go with a different product altogether because the Note devices are focused more on productivity and creation than media consumtion like most other tablets. Which I prefer because my tablet is only a toy sometimes, but almost always a tool. So I chose the best tool available.
    Arguably, the Note 8.0 will be the best tool available because small text will be easier to read with the higher resolution screen, and a table will not be needed for note taking.

Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraHead View Post
    Arguably, the Note 8.0 will be the best tool available because small text will be easier to read with the higher resolution screen, and a table will not be needed for note taking.

That depends on your style. I have never held my notepad in school no matter the size. Even if it's a post it, I will be writing on it on a table. And the text on the Note 10.1 is pretty easy to read as long as you are not illiterate.
    Thanked by: