Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Struggling with Video.

    Would somebody please be good enough to help a 'non techy', and point me in the direction of a solution...thanks. All I am trying to do is to move/copy some films I have on my PC to the 16Gb memory card on my Note 10. The problem is that none of them will play back. I have now tried three different cards, all to no avail. The original DVD conversion proggramme I am using is 'DVD Catalyst' which I find is excellent. To compound the mystery, I can copy them OK to the device itself, but just not the memory card. I have tried using both a card reader and by using the USB connection, but all I get is the message that the video cannot be played.
    As an aside, (to prove that the DVD is 'OK') , I can copy them to my HTC One phone quite happily, but not the darned micro card, as I would like to load it up with numerous films while on my travels.
    Thankyou for your support.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Struggling with Video.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeact View Post
    Would somebody please be good enough to help a 'non techy', and point me in the direction of a solution...thanks. All I am trying to do is to move/copy some films I have on my PC to the 16Gb memory card on my Note 10. The problem is that none of them will play back. I have now tried three different cards, all to no avail. The original DVD conversion proggramme I am using is 'DVD Catalyst' which I find is excellent. To compound the mystery, I can copy them OK to the device itself, but just not the memory card. I have tried using both a card reader and by using the USB connection, but all I get is the message that the video cannot be played.
    As an aside, (to prove that the DVD is 'OK') , I can copy them to my HTC One phone quite happily, but not the darned micro card, as I would like to load it up with numerous films while on my travels.
    Thankyou for your support.
    Hi,

    Thank you for using DVD Catalyst,

    Based on your description, it seems it's an issue with your memorycards.

    Copying a movie from your computer to internal memory works fine, copying the same movie to a memorycard and you run into playback issues.

    You mentioned a card reader.

    If you try and play the movies from your SD card on your computer using the cardreader, do they play then like they would if you play the original video file on your computer, or are you experiencing the same issues?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Struggling with Video.

    Thanks for your reply...(apologies for my slow response....UK time difference.)
    I have just copied 'Wall Street' to both the device and card. The device playback is fine, but the message I get with card playback using the card reader/PC is 'Error can't open file. The Media type of file is not recognized'....On the device it says 'Video Problem...Can't play this video.' ? Thanks again if you can come up with any ideas. (nb I have tried copying both 'off line' with the card reader, and a direct USB connection.)
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Struggling with Video.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeact View Post
    Thanks for your reply...(apologies for my slow response....UK time difference.)
    I have just copied 'Wall Street' to both the device and card. The device playback is fine, but the message I get with card playback using the card reader/PC is 'Error can't open file. The Media type of file is not recognized'....On the device it says 'Video Problem...Can't play this video.' ? Thanks again if you can come up with any ideas. (nb I have tried copying both 'off line' with the card reader, and a direct USB connection.)
    You are welcome Mike,

    How large are your video files?

    With memorycards, anything over 4GB in size will have issues similar as to what you are experiencing. With DVD-sized content, you shouldn't run into this (unless you used a 1080 profile for the conversion), but if you are converting your movies from 720p or 1080p sources, it isn't hard to run into this file-size limit.

    If the files are less than 4GB in size, it is the card that is the problem. Since the video file is fine (plays from memory on your device), but doesn't play from the card on both your device and your PC.

    3 cards with the same problem is a bit strange, but if you purchased them from the same seller, it is quite possible.

    On a (very) regular basis I get questions from people with similar complications, and one of the first things I ask if they are using memorycards purchased "for cheap"

    In particular eBay, but even some respectable sellers, are filled with offers ("too good to be true" deals) for "fake" memorycards. low-capacity (1-2GB) cards, rebranded and reformatted to appear as high-capacity (16-32GB) ones. Most people will take quite (longer than the return period) a while before they run into problems. Use it for a few pics and a few mp3's, but with these cards, if you copy over more stuff than what the real storage capacity is, it will become corrupted. Putting one video on it works fine, but as soon as you go over the 2GB, everything new appears to be on there but doesn't work.
    Some sellers don't know that there are issues with their cards, others do know, and just rely on the fact that the majority of people take a couple of months to fill up the real capacity.

    But there are also bad cards. A few months ago, I picked up a 64GB (class 10) card from Sandisk directly (through Amazon), and that card was just bad. I had 20+ TV show videos (all working) lined up to copy onto it, and after copying half of them were corrupted. File-transfer was also quite slow compared to other cards I have.
    When I formatted the card, and copied the same shows back onto it, others ended up corrupted and ones that didn't work before worked again.

    I hope this helps Mike.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Struggling with Video.

    Thanks for that very useful information...I had no idea of the potential problems. I think you're right...it does appear that it is the cards, as I've dug out an old 6Gb card that used to be in my phone and that seems to be working fine. Rightly or wrongly, I've always bought off Ebay or Amazon....not, I hasten to add, for 'cheapness' but value for money, (or so I thought.) The problem now is to purchase a 'real/working' 32Gb card, but based on your observations...where to buy ? And which Class would you recommend ? Thanks again.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Struggling with Video.

    Another quick one if I may. Unbeknown to me, after copying I have had a couple of videos stop short about 10 minutes or so from the end...very frustrating ! I am now going to have to check each one , just to make sure the whole DVD is copied.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeact View Post
    Another quick one if I may. Unbeknown to me, after copying I have had a couple of videos stop short about 10 minutes or so from the end...very frustrating ! I am now going to have to check each one , just to make sure the whole DVD is copied.
    I just tried watching my movies I ripped with Handbrake. Movies were originally ripped to watch on my iPad or MacBook Pro while traveling. Plugged in my Note 10.1 and I am able to watch them fine. I just realized how awesome it is to have front facing speakers. Movies were saved as MP4/M4V and each movie was anywhere from 850MB to 1.2GB each. The movies were dragged and dropped into the 64GB MicroSDXD card using the Android File Transfer software.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Struggling with Video.

    What file format are you using on your sdcard?
    I ask this because if you are trying to load large files its best to format your external SDcard to extfat, you wilk have to yse your pc for this.
    If your pc is missing that format yoy will need to go to Microsoft website and down load the update its small file.

    Sent from my GT-N8010 using Android Central Forums
    London UK
    Happy Samsung TAB 2 user now I have moved from a tab to a Note 10.1

Similar Threads

  1. No sound with videos???
    By rosariorose9 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 11:25 PM
  2. Problem with video recording quality...
    By SandersJC1964 in forum Samsung Moment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM
  3. Struggling with installing new ROMS, please help
    By enzo100 in forum Google Nexus One Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  4. The wife is really struggling with her Droid
    By richpjr#AC in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 03:00 PM
  5. Need help with video camera on Droid
    By Theodore42 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Posting Permissions

B