Scratches on my screen!!!

PAL Sucks

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I used an ASUS TF101 prior to getting my note. At first I was cautious using it teaching as I didn't trust the Gorilla glass to actually resist scratches, but the screen was impervious. I bought a Note 10.1 a couple of weeks ago and have used only the stylus and fingers on it, including the eraser stylus (hard plastic end) and I'm seeing scratches. Not just feather thin scratches, but a honking great gouge my finger nail catches in with a noise! Really upset over this.

What are other people's experiences with Note 10.1 glass? What is able to make such scratches? Corning's demo's of Gorilla Glass have whacked it with pens and nails and narry a dent, and I've taken impeccable care of this thing.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, but you say you use the hard plastic end of the Eraser Stylus? Are you using the Stylus that comes with the Galaxy Note, that inserts in the bottom of the Note as the Eraser stylus or a separate Stylus you bought with an eraser on the end? Just asking, because the one that comes with the Galaxy Note, doesn't have an eraser on the opposite end. I have a stylus I bought on Amazon and that has an eraser on the opposite end.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I use the eraser stylus too and I haven't noticed any scratches. I wonder if you may have gotten a grain of sand or something in between.

The eraser stylus is available as an accessory and is very cool. The other end acts as an eraser when you press it down and erase. It's on the Samsung store.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I actually just noticed this on my note for the first time yesterday. I always keep my note in a case and clean the screen with a soft cloth. Noticed two scratches that I can actually feel with my fingernail.

Suppose I'll have to be more careful :(

Not very impressive resistance on a tablet meant to be used with a hard stylus.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
No, not really a smart *** comment, but I've always had issues on other devices when using a screen protector. I had a Droid Razr Maxx and an Droid 2 and they both would start having tracking issues until I removed the screen protector. Neither of those got these hairline scratches (w/o a screen protector) like what the OP and I have described, with a case on them constantly. With this tablet being so reliant on directed input I didn't want to put something between the stylus and the digitizer.

Although, if someone has a suggestion for a screen protector that they really like and doesn't get worn down as fast do let me know!

PAL Sucks

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm using the official Samsung stylus with eraser. I didn't like the eraser feel and was afraid it might mess up the screen, but you kinda trust Samsung not to sell a product that'll tear their screen up! I may glue a bit of felt on the end. But these aren't the sorts of featherline scratches you get on any shiny surfaces. These are proper whack-with-something-nasty scratches from the looks of it. I tried stabbing a glass jar with a compass and that was achieving the same thing. I thought Gorilla Glass was supposed to be better than that? I presume everyone else with a Note on the whole isn't getting scratches on their screen. I wonder if GG is sometimes not as strong in batches or something? I wouldn't mind if only Samsung had been 'up front' and recommended a screen protector or something. It's crazy to sell a ?400 portable screen with insufficient protection for general day-to-day use as intended! It's also crazy that none of the device companies provide official screen protectors - would be an easy high-markup sell.

I also wonder why no-one's created a resin repair solution. It exists for the likes of car windscreens. In theory I could fill the cracks with something suitable and put a cover over, but there's no way I'm gonna experiment! So I've ordered some protectors from Amazon and I'll post my experiences. Some have reviewed to interfere with the S-Pen, which shouldn't happen.

Really miffed. It's all of three weeks old, and one of the scratches is visibly interfering with the display as a colour distortion. :'(

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I use a screen protector, have since the beginning. If you have scratches and only three weeks old, have you thought about contacting Samsung? Especially if done with Samsung's own stylus with eraser. I would try to return it for another one. At three weeks it should still be under warranty from wherever you bought it from(ie, best buy, Amazon, or wherever). I've never had any issue with the stylus using a screen protector on mine.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Even though I have no scratches yet, this post makes me want to order a Zagg invisible shield like I have on my N2.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

PAL Sucks

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
If you have scratches and only three weeks old, have you thought about contacting Samsung?
I have done. I'm waiting for a response. Warranty won't cover accidental damage, only faulty manufacturing, and the screen was perfect when I got it. I doubt the pen caused these marks. It's not causing other scratches. May be able to claim a repair on insurance, but that'll push up premiums and still cost an excess. May just have to live with them, but at least I can warn others to be wary. ;) Would really like to know what caused it though. What experience have people have with impacts on their Note screen that have/haven't scratched the screen?

Chillidog66

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I used an ASUS TF101 prior to getting my note. At first I was cautious using it teaching as I didn't trust the Gorilla glass to actually resist scratches, but the screen was impervious. I bought a Note 10.1 a couple of weeks ago and have used only the stylus and fingers on it, including the eraser stylus (hard plastic end) and I'm seeing scratches. Not just feather thin scratches, but a honking great gouge my finger nail catches in with a noise! Really upset over this.

What are other people's experiences with Note 10.1 glass? What is able to make such scratches? Corning's demo's of Gorilla Glass have whacked it with pens and nails and narry a dent, and I've taken impeccable care of this thing.

I'm kinda interested in a Samsung tablet to replace my A500 can I see the scratchs because this would be a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Android Central Forums

milessthomas

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I have done. I'm waiting for a response. Warranty won't cover accidental damage, only faulty manufacturing, and the screen was perfect when I got it. I doubt the pen caused these marks. It's not causing other scratches. May be able to claim a repair on insurance, but that'll push up premiums and still cost an excess. May just have to live with them, but at least I can warn others to be wary. ;) Would really like to know what caused it though. What experience have people have with impacts on their Note screen that have/haven't scratched the screen?

Hey, I just noticed a possible anomaly that I'm pretty sure caused the scratch on mine. On the stylus tips that have the black shell + white tip, it seems that the black coating is a hard plastic. The black shell split a fraction of a mm and is sticking out to the side of the tip. This very tiny protrusion looks like it made a little hairline scratch on my screen. Check your own stylus and let me know if your scratch may have been caused by the same issue. Until further investigation I'm only using the completely white stylus tips.

PAL Sucks

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Chillidog,

I've attached a photo from my Galaxy Ace. The scratches are pretty visible in the flash. Number 1 causes a single line colour distortion, like a half-inch long rainbow on the screen, easily ignored in general use but you can make it out easily when you go looking. All the other scratches are invisible in operation. Scratch 2 is noticeable to the touch. Run your fingernail along the screen and it catches in crack 2.

I've just applied a screen protector. Notably, when giving it a thorough clean I could see the swirls of the pen; what I understand to be microscratches. I'm of the opinion that the pen and/or eraser does actually scratch the screen, although maybe not to many's perception. I do not think my significant scratches are caused by the S-Pen. They are too extreme. I think one of the kids I teach took something to the screen they shouldn't have when I was out of the room. But I do think a screen protector is in order.

The one I've just applied is a GreatShield Matte. It eliminates the reflection and the scratches. The screen doesn't look as classy, but it does look clearer and without killer reflections or greasy fingerprints so obvious. The pen feeling is very different. The S-Pen encounters a lot more resistance. It's still very usable though; will just take some getting used to. I've also just glued a piece of felt on my additional S-Pen's eraser end.

All in all, I think the screen protector is recommended for the Note. I don't think Gorilla Glass is as immune to scratches as some might suggest. I have to say though, don't be discouraged by scratches. There's no better touch device IMO. The pen is the most functional addition to computing since the invention of the computer IMO. It turns a tablet into electronic paper. Handwriting can be real, rather than having to go through dubious gesture tracking. Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro is superb, and I'm hopeful ArtRage will get an Android port. I also prefer using the stylus over finger a lot of the time. Having a chunky finger in the way of the screen is an obtrusion. I've been playing Puzzle Quest 2, and I automatically pull out the stylus to play it rather than use touch. Get yourself a screen protector (probably good advice whatever phone you get as a cheap protection, because glass is still a little vulnerable no matter what brand it is) and enjoy the flexibility of the machine.

Attachments

• scratches.jpg
    scratches.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 24

PAL Sucks

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I just noticed a possible anomaly that I'm pretty sure caused the scratch on mine. On the stylus tips that have the black shell + white tip, it seems that the black coating is a hard plastic.
The eraser on the S-Pen accessory is also plastic, and I think it causes microscratches, but not the gouges I had. Odd choice though, a cheap and nasty feeling eraser end.

Chillidog66

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Chillidog,

I've attached a photo from my Galaxy Ace. The scratches are pretty visible in the flash. Number 1 causes a single line colour distortion, like a half-inch long rainbow on the screen, easily ignored in general use but you can make it out easily when you go looking. All the other scratches are invisible in operation. Scratch 2 is noticeable to the touch. Run your fingernail along the screen and it catches in crack 2.

I've just applied a screen protector. Notably, when giving it a thorough clean I could see the swirls of the pen; what I understand to be microscratches. I'm of the opinion that the pen and/or eraser does actually scratch the screen, although maybe not to many's perception. I do not think my significant scratches are caused by the S-Pen. They are too extreme. I think one of the kids I teach took something to the screen they shouldn't have when I was out of the room. But I do think a screen protector is in order.

The one I've just applied is a GreatShield Matte. It eliminates the reflection and the scratches. The screen doesn't look as classy, but it does look clearer and without killer reflections or greasy fingerprints so obvious. The pen feeling is very different. The S-Pen encounters a lot more resistance. It's still very usable though; will just take some getting used to. I've also just glued a piece of felt on my additional S-Pen's eraser end.

All in all, I think the screen protector is recommended for the Note. I don't think Gorilla Glass is as immune to scratches as some might suggest. I have to say though, don't be discouraged by scratches. There's no better touch device IMO. The pen is the most functional addition to computing since the invention of the computer IMO. It turns a tablet into electronic paper. Handwriting can be real, rather than having to go through dubious gesture tracking. Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro is superb, and I'm hopeful ArtRage will get an Android port. I also prefer using the stylus over finger a lot of the time. Having a chunky finger in the way of the screen is an obtrusion. I've been playing Puzzle Quest 2, and I automatically pull out the stylus to play it rather than use touch. Get yourself a screen protector (probably good advice whatever phone you get as a cheap protection, because glass is still a little vulnerable no matter what brand it is) and enjoy the flexibility of the machine.

Wow. Just wow. That sucks I have had my Acer A500 for over a year and it has no scratches.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

ryansmithwvc

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I never had any scratches on previous tablets. I used an older ipad and an Asus Slate EP121 both without screen protectors, but always I remembered to close the flip cover when I finished using them. The slate has a digitizer pen that I put to extensive use on the screen and I never feared a scratch. I can understand scratches resulting from a filthy screen combined with a stylus though. I anticipated the same for the note and I have been only using a flipcover for protection.

drzeus_gr

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
This may or may not be relevant, but to those worried about the SPen not working well with a screen protector, let me tell you my Wacom experience. I have a now rather old Graphire 2 wacom digitizer. It is a flat surface with a plastic flap thicker than an OHP slide on the top of it. You can lift the flap up so that you can slide a picture underneath and then trace over the top - cool trick. Anyways, even with a photograph under that flap, the Graphire pen works fine, there is no problem in its responsiveness. A screen protector logically should not make any difference at all to sensing, but you will get a different feel writing on it, depends how you like it.
I only bought a screen protector once for my ancient Palm T3 and hated it, but found inkjet OHP slides to be great for the same purpose, with good feel. Not suggesting you do the same though with a lovely Note!

Last edited:

ValYooNeek

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Im sorry that youve had to experience my worst nightmare! I ordered a note 32GB on yesterday and Ive been thinking "the what ifs" all day! I have long fingers with moderate length nails and arthritis in my hands...the stylus will be an essential daily accessory for me. After reading others comments, Ive decided to purchase a screen protector, but my only problem/concern is which brand, anti-glare or not, matte? I kinda confused about the whole thing. :( I know I need accessories that will protect my investment and ensure me plenty good times ahead. Price is an issue with some of the accessories.Some of the screen protectors are extremely overprice to me, and then u get the cheap ones...do u actually get what u pay for? I do understand all investments comes with certain risks, I just dont want to be sitting around with a tablet and accessories worth more than my nieces college tutition for a semester!! ;) Can anyone recommend some quality but reasonable accessories for the note 10.1?