Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By LegalAmerican
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any comments regarding iPad vs Note 10.1 for specific application?

This is my second post here, although I have been reading the forum since getting my Note back in November.

I am a midwife and recently heard about a great new EMR (electronic medical records) software for the iPad. There are others out there, but I liked the user interface. So I wrote to the company and told them how much I liked the look of their software and asked if there would be any future plans to have an android version or a pc version. The reply I received proceeded to go through all of the reasons the Note isn't suitable. I don't know much about the iPad, have never had one, never used one other than messing around with it at the Best Buy store for a bit, before deciding on the Note. I'd love to answer him back about some of his claims, if any are wrong. For instance, would the Note really be bad at capturing the client signatures, when it has the S pen and captures any writing very well? If anyone has any comments, please share!

***********************************************************************His Reply***************************************************************************************************************

That's a great question and the Galaxy Note 10.1 is a nice tablet. Unfortunately the answer is that we will not be releasing an Android version. The primary reasons are :

1. A high screen resolution is required for our Document Signing feature and for displaying lots of text in a relatively small space with a clarity that makes it easy to read. The iPad has a resolution of 2048 x 1536 where as the Galaxy Note 10.1 has only 1280 x 800 which is almost half. When capturing client signatures the higher resolution is needed.
    2. The iPad 4 computing speed is about double that of the Galaxy Note 10.1. EHR apps are very intensive and need all the processing power it can get.
    3. Actual real life battery duration is about 30% better on the iPad according to recent studies. This is a high priority for Midwives because you know how long labor can be

However there are several more fundamental reasons such as stability and security. The Android OS is much more easy to crack and decrypt which poses a potential HIPPA compliance issue. And finally we would rather focus on having the highest quality app on one platform then have a less stable and usable product that is available on many operating systems.

There has been some discussion of providing a PC version however there are just too many features that would not work such as client photos, document scanning (taking picture of insurance cards, DL and other documentation with the iPad) , document signing and other benefits of having a touch screen that allow a practice to go completely paperless. There could be a PC version down the road but I feel it is unlikely. We plan to roll out an iPhone version later this year so that if you don't have your iPad with you and you get called out to a birth you will have ALL your client records with you!

Default Re: Any comments regarding iPad vs Note 10.1 for specific application?

these comments are ridiculous in my opinion.
    I have an iPad and a Note 10.1

1. signatures don't need that kind of resolution. try writing your signature on an iPad with your finger.. every stylus I've seen for an iPad resembles a crayon.
    2. the note is plenty powerful.
    3. I get more than a day from the battery. if I need power, I'll plug it in.

The note is a far better business tool compared to the iPad. there's just not as many out there.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I totally agree with ChuckeeDroid. I did own an IPad then sold it in favor of the Note 10.1. Best decision I ever made gadget wise.

-The resolution of the ipad isn't necessary. The fact that they told you it is, well that's just garbage. The main reason I say that is because I'm sure their app will run on an IPad 2 also which is WAY underspecd compared to the Note and doesn't have a retina display.

-I'm not sure about all the specs of the ipad, but the processor in the Note 10.1 is more powerful then the ipad.

-Battery life, I get better run time and the same standby time between the ipad and the Note 10.1 from my use has been the same.

Facts are here, there are so many Android tablets available that they don't want to to make an app that will support them all. It's the easy out to just make it for the ipad. And it's still the most popular tablet in the world (I think), so they see it as the right decision.

I looked at a lot of android tablets when I got the Note. For me there was no comparison. I still believe it's the best one on the market. But this one of the many others doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.

Apple iPad mini 16GB with Wi-Fi (Black or White) Refurbished: iPad & eReaders : Walmart.com
    But if you REALLY need the app you are talking about, Walmart sells the ipad mini refurbished online. I got my Note 10.1 refurbished from Walmart and it's just like new.

care to name and shame the backwards thinking developer?

But surely the mini wouldn't have the processing power or screen resolution either to run the app? I think most of what the developer said was codswallop.

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Android Central forums

You could be right. According to Apple every app that runs on the ipad 2 will run on the mini. But will this app in question run on the ipad 2? That I don't know as I'm not familiar with it. But after playing newer graphically intense games on the mini I never had any slowness. Even after jailbreaking it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    From the world's most fabulous Crack-Droid!

This developer is just showing the epidemic of people's thinking. There's not a chance the resolution on the Note can't handle his app. When I read ebooks, etextbooks, and use S Note to write page after page of notes, I highly doubt his app is more detailed and word-intensive than what I use my note for. The cool thing about technology these days with touchscreens, is you can pinch to zoom on ANY word you need to read and the clarity is perfect when you do so. Worst case scenario, you'd just have to zoom in and out a few times to use his app and read it.

The processing issue is complete nonsense. If I remember correctly, the iPad is a dual core (maybe even single core) with 1 GB of RAM. The Note 10.1 is quad core with 2 GB of RAM. They might be clocked differently, but no matter what you do with dual core and 1 gb of ram it will not perform better than 2 gb of ram with a quad core. He doesn't know what he's talking about, he's just simply not interested in reaching a larger consumer base.

The battery thing makes no sense to me. I'm not familiar with your profession, but i'd venture a guess that you'd be somewhat near an outlet while waiting for birth to occur. I find the battery life to be incredible on the Note, but even if you needed a bit more I assume you'd have relative access to an outlet at some point during your shift. I know when I am at the family cabin in the mountains, everyone but me seems to have an iPad and they are always plugged in. I usually go two to three days up there without plugging in my Note. I don't use it as much as they do, but I don't use it a ton less either.

His arguments of why the iPad is better suited are a wash. Let's say the iPad DID have a better processor, the screen resolution would use up more of that to process HD images and screens. Which would then lower the processing speed significantly. So since the Note has a better processor and lower screen res, I would bet money that his app would work better on the Note than the iPad. Also the ease of hacking into his app is partially his responsibility. If it's so easy in his eyes to hack Android apps, he should probably know the little things he could do to make his app more secure. In today's day and age, anyone can hack into anything they want easy enough. It really makes no difference if one is easier to do because if thieves want information, they wont be stopped by Apple.

I've come to accept (begrudgingly) that Apple fans simply cannot give good reasons for why they favor the iWorld. When they do attempt to list reasons, they end up sounding foolish and proving that they do not have a solid understanding of what their options truly are. A LOT of misconceptions have survived through the years since this whole industry really boomed and unfortunately I don't see people educating themselves anytime soon.
    Andy847 and axllebeer like this.

Global Posts
    5,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Sempek View Post
    This is my second post here, although I have been reading the forum since getting my Note back in November.

I am a midwife and recently heard about a great new EMR (electronic medical records) software for the iPad. There are others out there, but I liked the user interface. So I wrote to the company and told them how much I liked the look of their software and asked if there would be any future plans to have an android version or a pc version. The reply I received proceeded to go through all of the reasons the Note isn't suitable. I don't know much about the iPad, have never had one, never used one other than messing around with it at the Best Buy store for a bit, before deciding on the Note. I'd love to answer him back about some of his claims, if any are wrong. For instance, would the Note really be bad at capturing the client signatures, when it has the S pen and captures any writing very well? If anyone has any comments, please share!

***********************************************************************His Reply***************************************************************************************************************

That's a great question and the Galaxy Note 10.1 is a nice tablet. Unfortunately the answer is that we will not be releasing an Android version. The primary reasons are :

1. A high screen resolution is required for our Document Signing feature and for displaying lots of text in a relatively small space with a clarity that makes it easy to read. The iPad has a resolution of 2048 x 1536 where as the Galaxy Note 10.1 has only 1280 x 800 which is almost half. When capturing client signatures the higher resolution is needed.
    2. The iPad 4 computing speed is about double that of the Galaxy Note 10.1. EHR apps are very intensive and need all the processing power it can get.
    3. Actual real life battery duration is about 30% better on the iPad according to recent studies. This is a high priority for Midwives because you know how long labor can be

However there are several more fundamental reasons such as stability and security. The Android OS is much more easy to crack and decrypt which poses a potential HIPPA compliance issue. And finally we would rather focus on having the highest quality app on one platform then have a less stable and usable product that is available on many operating systems.

There has been some discussion of providing a PC version however there are just too many features that would not work such as client photos, document scanning (taking picture of insurance cards, DL and other documentation with the iPad) , document signing and other benefits of having a touch screen that allow a practice to go completely paperless. There could be a PC version down the road but I feel it is unlikely. We plan to roll out an iPhone version later this year so that if you don't have your iPad with you and you get called out to a birth you will have ALL your client records with you!
    I am sorry to tell you but the EMR Software vendor is just blowing you off. As an IT consultant I do get asked a lot about hardware and since Apple has the market share developers simply don't care about Andorid. If they want to claim the screen resolution is the issue then point them to the Nexus 10 which blows the iPad's screen out of the water with 2560 x 1600 resolutions. So screen resolution isn't the reason. Computing speed, Nexus 10 beats the iPad 4 hands down. Battery life is subjective and real world results do not match what Apple claims, I should know I am getting rid of my iPad 4 LTE for many reasons.

Bottom line is iPads are BIG in healthcare and that is where the market is so they likely can't afford to divert resources to develop for Android and see little return on their investment.

What should happen is Google should be pushing EMR providers to develop their apps and have Google develop a Nexus for Healthcare, that would be something. But sadly Google is not a well thought out company, their don't market well, do not handle hardware sales well and have not really mastered the art of getting their OEM's and Carriers to release bug fixes and OS updates in a timely fashion.

Sadly that is one critical advantage Apple has over Android, updates and hardware control. Still I will gladly take what iOS users see as shortcomings in Android over the walled garden, tiny screened devices.

I actually looked at the GN 10.1 and my iPad in BB today and I have to say I was more impressed with the GN 10.1. Soon to be selling an iPad 4 LTE 128GB.