WiFi Authentication errors! !!

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
So I woke up this morning suddenly unable to connect to wifi with my note, authentication errors nonstop. About 10 mins in when I was extremely frustrated it magically worked ! No more problems till 10 or so pm tonight when it does it again. but UNBEKNOWNST to me it was Also happening to my father's note across the house. He suddenly has the same authentication errors and cant connect....

whAt gives here? Google shows tons of people with authentication errors on android tablet wifi connections but no solutions .... I am turning to yall righteous peoples cause I need an answer for my pop by the morning.... anyone ? Please and thank you in advance.

May 5, 2013
Visit site
tAKticool,

This could be one of a couple problems, depending on the condition, age, and wear tear on your note, it could be the SDIO card in the device that allows it to reach the wifi, Since it is connection at points it could be loose in the socket inside the phone, ***The SIDO Card is not accessible without opening up the phone, I suggest you take it to your carrier!*** The next problem could be your access point (router) the cables could be loose, it might need to be reset, or it is getting old and needs replacing.

I hope this information helps you,
Joshuaz

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Joshuaz,

As it happens, the Note 10.1's are both brand new, 3 week old devices. So I can't imagine it's them, PLUS happening to both?

I will say I forgot to add pertinent information. We just agreed to Comcast to take a new package of promotional stuff, by allowing them to install a phone and agreeing to a promotional price package for 6 months, they gave us from 21 mbps/ 7 mbps internet TO 50/10 WhICH IS AMAZING FAST, but it required them to come out and install a new Arris device that is a huge combined modem/router/phone connection point. Two contractors from Comcast came out a few days ago and installed it and set everything up ( I did not know we were getting a Comcast piece of hardware and also losing the management of the wireless network [i like to manage my own network and mess with the stuff from time to time] but that was part of the deal) HOWEVER, when they left, everything was working... Our computers, smartphones, and Note tablets worked for at least 48 hours maybe 72 hours before the problem just randomly appeared.

I have no idea now, really sucks, I woke up 4AM And grabbed my Note to try to read me back to sleep,and of course it has Wifi authentication problems (Yet it was working before I went to bed.)

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any info ? All across the web ppl are saying they have random WiFi authentication problems with android tablets ( plenty of Samsung tablets too) and it seems to be really randomized. ?. Any tech or wifi experts plZ?

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
SAME PROBLEM Still happening, randomly ... fine for 2-3 days, then it happens. Last night it popped up out of nowhere, in the late night, while I was surfing in bed before bed. Got so bad I gave up and went to bed, same problem in the morning today. I had to go downstairs and unplug it, leave it unplugged for 30 min, then plug back in, its' been okay so far.

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I hate to bump my own threads- If ANYONE out there understands this issue- please sing out. There is a common theme among these problems, it pops up out of nowhere. I thought the problem was gone, then it came back and lasted 24 full hours. The only thing I ever seem to get relief from is unplugging the router for extended periods of time and redoing everything. its NOT just me, a TON of Google searches show that ppl with Android tablets encounter similar random WiFi Authentication Errors across different isp, router, modem, etc. devices.

Maggnus

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I hate to bump my own threads- If ANYONE out there understands this issue- please sing out. There is a common theme among these problems, it pops up out of nowhere. I thought the problem was gone, then it came back and lasted 24 full hours. The only thing I ever seem to get relief from is unplugging the router for extended periods of time and redoing everything. its NOT just me, a TON of Google searches show that ppl with Android tablets encounter similar random WiFi Authentication Errors across different isp, router, modem, etc. devices.

I suspect it's a problem with Samsung tablets running Android 4.1.2. I never had this problem on any of my other devices then I updated both my Galaxy Note 10.1 and Galaxy Note II and began immediately experiencing the problem above. It appears to have been fixed on my Galaxy Note II by restoring the WiFi associated files from earlier Android build, but I've not yet tried this on my Note 10.1 yet.

My other devices have functioned just well - Nexus 7, Nexus 4, Galaxy S II and Galaxy S3.

Maggnus

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

I've also noticed if you toggle off bluetooth on the Galaxy Note 10.1 wifi begins to work again

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey I wanted to say a few things, First THANKS, very much for your time and reply. Second do you mean, toggle bluetooth on then off real quick, Or- do you normally leave bluetooth on and you just switch it off when you have a problem?

Very jealous you have the Note II as well... im trying to save lol. Maybe 3 will be out looool.

Posted via Android Central App

Deidre Weiss

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
It's not just you. I'ts me and many others. This is not acceptable. I hope a fix comes out soon!!!!

jhbacon

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Found this on another forum. Dont know why it works, but it fixed my authentication error issues..... at least for the past two hours :
1. Forget your network
2. Turn wifi off
3. Turn wifi back on
4. Go through scan and password process

Cannot give you even a little bit of a clue why, but it worked for me

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I do not doubt other people have had success "fixing" with their little fixes- I have to say, absolutely do not work for me. (I obviously did try a lot of things before I tried posting here).

It is getting much much worse and the only thing that 'fixes' the problem is walking downstairs and unplugging the gateway for a minute and replugging in . What is extremely trippy is my father and I (I'm a halfassed adult that lives with my old man, we just have always been close like that I guess.) have the same problem. We bought our Note 10.1 32GB's brand new at BestBuy on Sat in early/mid April. Started fine but then that happened and its been happening but getting much worse. Past two weeks, happening every single night around "bed time". Now it's been happening day and night.

I just resorted to logging into the gateway admin area, changing the SSiD network name, changing the broadcast channel, and the DHCP lease renewal time ( was like 3 weeks I changed it to much less. Now I am not 101% sure this was the right move so feel free to chime in there.).

I am really hating this. When it's 1130 or 12 midnight, I'm tucked in bed, the house is dark and secure, and I'm laying in bed w/ my Note reading the web or watching a vid etc. and suddenly the net stops, and "Authentication Error' comes up, I do NOT WANT to get up , get ready, go downstairs, turn n all the lights, losing my night vision in the process etc, stumble to the router area, unplug the damned thing, let it go, reboot time takes a bit, come upstairs and reverse everything ,get back into bed, etc. etc. Its terrible.

I will report on how the changing of the settings affect everything. (And again- there is NO PROBLEMS with the rest of the house WiFi. 4 Smartphones, 3 laptops, a stray iPad, etc.).

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to give an update..

as I mentioned, I got into my Comcast Xfinity gateway and basically renamed the network and tried to make the settings a little different. I was hoping to both fix my problem (which is getting critical real soon) and perhaps debug it awell.

Everything was fine almost all day. And I woke up with another Authentication Error this early AM. So while it was looking fixed it wasnt completely. BUT SOMETHING IMPORTANT Happened yesterday...... my younger sister has a GALAXY SIII she got at the launch, her and the BF at the time dropoed the big bucks. She has never had a problem. I showed her how to change the network and, what does shs get repeatedly for an hour, but Authentication Errors! Never before had one, so it HAS TO BE A SAMSUNG THING. WTF IS going on lol, does Samsung not like communicating with my wireless gateway brand ?

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
The one thing that changed is the Comcast install. I would suggest you talk to them. It should be acceptable to connect your old wireless router to one of the ports on the back of the comcast router. This of course presumes you have ports on the back of the router Comcast installed. You could run both networks as long as they are on different channels, but I would ask them to deconfigure 802.11 wireless on their router so you have a single wireless point of entry.

One other constant seems to be that the connection issues are happening at night and resolving sometime during the day. Its a longshot, but could it be they configured the wireless to stop accepting connections at night? I wouldn't think you'd see what you are if they did, but it is something to check. Do you have a laptop you can try connecting with? Have you checked the phones during this time?

BTW, none of the Android devices I've had have ever had this problem.

jjmcgaffey

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
My Note (original) was doing something like this - I also have internet problems, but this seems separate. If I have the network set Mixed, it works fine all the time. If I have it set to N, it fails every time. I don't know if it's the same thing as yours - I've never had it connect and then stop connecting - but you might try it. This applied to two different routers - a Linksys and an Asus. And yeah, Comcast's monster modem/router/VOIP things are a pain! (computer tech - I hate those things).

And if that doesn't work, I like Bill's suggestion of using your old router as the wireless access point.

--
jjmcgaffey

ajtaylor29

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So, i just returned from vacation, and could not connect my notebook to wifi anywhere (airport, hotel) kept getting authentication errors, kept looking around for some setting but couldn't find anything. i did notice that in settings, the IP address was "unknown" or "unavailable"....
got on the plane, and it seemed to work fine, connected (but wanted $$ so at that point i closed it - on my way home and decided i could wait a few hours more to connect at home since i'd gone all week without it!)
anyway - i'm not very tech savvy so i assumed it was something i wasn't doing right. my smart phone connected just fine to the free wifi at hotel but the tablet wouldn't.
I've never had any trouble connecting to wifi at my house or office, any ideas why it wouldn't work with free wifi elsewhere?
thanks!

meedeezee

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I just had success after days of authentication errors with my galaxy note 2. Xfinity had just put in a new wifi/router combo. Everybodies phones and laptops worked except mine. Kids htc1, other kids goggle phone, wifes (gag) iphone were all fine. But i kept getting authentication errors. I Was able to reset the modem router wifi module through the browser and voila, it works

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek