Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 10.1 screen rotation not working

New Galaxy Note 10.1 and the screen won't rotate anymore. I have the screen rotation set right and it just won't rotate.
    Should I return this tablet or is there some secret setting somewhere I'm missing?

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Sense 6

Default Re: Note 10.1 screen rotation not working

Quote Originally Posted by felloffthetruck View Post
    New Galaxy Note 10.1 and the screen won't rotate anymore. I have the screen rotation set right and it just won't rotate.
    Should I return this tablet or is there some secret setting somewhere I'm missing?
    I've always had problems involving the accelerometer on Samsung devices. You may be able to fix that with a firmware update or by using custom firmware instead.
    Devices (Their ROMs and respective mods, if any):

HTC One M8: Stock Sense 6 w/ OEM and carrier bloatware removed [daily driver]
    Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-T989/Hercules): AOSPA 4.6 Beta 6 (4.4.4) FINAL, ViPER4Android FX, updated Adreno 220 drivers [backup]
    HTC Nexus 9: Stock Android Lollipop
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

This tablet is not even 3 hours old. I should not have this problem already. Anyway to fix this without exchanging it at the store?

I had mine for about 6 months without issues. If screen rotation is on in the settings menu, then it should auto rotate unless you have another app telling it not to.

The first thing I would do is make sure you have the lasted version android( settings-about device-software update).

If that didn't fix it, I would then try a factory reset(settings-back up and restore-factory data reset), this will however set the device to when you first turned it on. It will erase any apps or data on the tablet(it'll leave the stuff on your external card alone, if you have one).

You can also install an app like androsensor. It'll at least show you if the accelerometer is working. You can also try a 3rd party app that can control screen rotation.

But honestly, if I were you, I would exchange it out just in case. You should not have had issues out of the box.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yea, I've done the factory reset and nothing seems to help. Guess I'll return it.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

I just bought my wife a Note for her birthday. I was setting it up for her, and I had a similar issue. I found there is a setting for Screen Rotation on the Notification Bar. It is not enabled. After enabling Screen Rotation, it now works.

Smile Re: Note 10.1 screen rotation not working

Thanks!!!!! My daughter has had her pad for 6 months now and just the other day screen rotation stopped working. I went ahead and downloaded Androsensor (via Samsung Apps on the pad) and found that the sensors were working. Just boot the app and then rotate the pad 90 degrees at a time, waiting for a few secs after each rotation. The pad screen rotated every time. Then went back and ran the S-Note app and saw it was still not rotating. Actually, the sreen was not rotating on the apps home screen either.

Once I tapped the notification bar (lower right hand corner - just click on the clock to bring it up), I then saw "Screen Rotation" as an icon that was grayed-out. I clicked it to enable it (text became green) and then I could rotate the screen!

Thank you so VERY much!! I have been going crazy for a week trying to get my notepad to turn over, your post was exactly what I needed to get it back! Thanks again and have a blessed day!

Me too - all of a sudden it was not working and I have been going crazy.