Thinking About Getting a Note 10.1- Questions

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Claudia - I cannot verify this yet, as I just ordered the Note 10.1 - but I have read on other forums that you can use other Wacom Styli with the Note 10.1. Also that it can differentiate the pen and eraser sides of them. I also use an Intuos 4 regularly, and look forward to trying my pen on the Note when I get it. If you already have yours, and haven't tried it yet, it's worth a shot! Let me know if & how it works for ya!

Yes you can use other Wacom styli on the note, but not the one for Intuos 4. I have a tablet PC with a Wacom digitizer screen and the stylus that work on it work great on the Note 2 phone I have, I believe it is Intuos3 technology that works . Having Intuos 4 and 5 I know the stylii from those will NOT work on the Note. I have used the pen I have for the tablet pc on my Note phone and both the pen and eraser ends work beautifully, Wacom also has a newer pen out called the Wacom Bamboo Feel that works well and I will be ordering one of those.

I have not ordered the Note 10.1 yet for money reasons, but I will I am sure, my only question then will be to keep my iPad or not. :)

Dame95

Sep 1, 2010
www.OmenDesigns.com
Yes you can use other Wacom styli on the note, but not the one for Intuos 4. I have a tablet PC with a Wacom digitizer screen and the stylus that work on it work great on the Note 2 phone I have, I believe it is Intuos3 technology that works . Having Intuos 4 and 5 I know the stylii from those will NOT work on the Note. I have used the pen I have for the tablet pc on my Note phone and both the pen and eraser ends work beautifully, Wacom also has a newer pen out called the Wacom Bamboo Feel that works well and I will be ordering one of those.

I have not ordered the Note 10.1 yet for money reasons, but I will I am sure, my only question then will be to keep my iPad or not. :)

Ahhh thanks for the follow up! I am sure I would have gone mad trying to figure out why it wouldn't work. Good to know that there are a few options out there though. I will definitely look into some of those as well.
FYI - Newegg & Walmart have significant deals on refirbed GN10.1's... Although I am not usually keen on refirbs, they are listed as factory certified (and nearly every review on them were very high). I got a 2 year replacement plan for an additional $50. So if there's even ONE dead pixel on it or anything else troublesome, I can send it back for another. Might be a hassle, but I ultimately saved $200 on it - which, for a nearly 10 month old tablet (and new ones undoubtedly being announced soon), is a pretty good deal.
Good luck!!

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I saw the refurbs and I'm just not going to go that way for only a $50 savings, if it were $100 maybe. The rumors of a new one, either 11.1 or 13.1 are making me resist the urge to buy now and the price drop at Samsung makes me think the rumors are true. One of the things that bothers me about this is that the active screen area is a bit smaller than my iPad and at my age with my eyesight bigger is better. :)

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
love my android phone, but, the note is another matter.

my biggest complaint is the massive learning curve you need to go through to do most anything other than basic web browsing or playing games.

the s pen. omg, the tutorial does not tell you half of what you need to know to be able to make it usefull. adjusting settings, what they do, even simply opening a page, it is not intuitive. you have to search for how to make it work for you on the internet. most people will take it out of its holder once or twice and put it back and never look at it again.

photoshop program. OMG, unless you are familiar with working with it, you are never going to be able to figure out how to make it do what you want it to do without taking a few classes at your local college. it is not the simple point and click program like paint.

watch tv through HULU or something? nope. not gona happen. why? because andriod and adobe are in a pissing contest so the tablet does not come with flash player and adobe does not offer one to download. you have to do an internet search through forums like this one to figure out what you need and how to get it to make the pad do what it should do without having to add third party softwear.

wana attach a picture to your email? nope. not unless you either download a third party file manager or you PAY to use their cloud service which is the only option the email program will look for files in otherwise.

have more than one email account? gona need a seperate email program to add them, no option to switch between email accounts like you can with outlook.

this is the result of android trying to become apple where everything is propriatary and goes through a PAID service, like that pos windows 8 program forcing you to create a windows account just to use your email.

the note will do anything you want it to do and more but the learing curve to do it or to be able to do it without paying some monthly cloud fee is steep and very very time consuming.

i would buy it again because i am a bit tech savy, have the time and will to learn and will not be trapped into some monthly fee to use an electronic devise like apple forces upon you.

but

if you want something that is plug and play out of the box, do not buy an android pad of any type. the s pen is a fad that will fade much faster than it took to develop as well. we all have been typing since the introduction of texting, really really stupid for a company to work against human behavior with this stupid pen instead of complementing it. the whole point of a pad was to eliminate needing things like a full size computer, paper, and yes even a pen. a paper and pen style tablet. rofl, talk about irony.

want simple plug and play, get an ipad. needs nothing.

hate big companies forcing you to spend more money than you need to, get the note. just dont waste your time pulling the pen out if its holder. the 2 gigs of ram and split screen sets it apart from the rest. the pen is just the mole on a models cheek. it will do more, but it will take alot of time and research to make it do it.

If someone can't see the value of the S Pen that's their problem. That thing completely changes the functionality of a tablet experience.

pmcdunnough

May 18, 2013
Visit site
If someone can't see the value of the S Pen that's their problem. That thing completely changes the functionality of a tablet experience.

I very much see the value. I have never understood why Tablet PC's failed to catch on. Wacom screens are just great. Unfortunately it does appear that many people no longer handwrite and drawing at a high level is also not a big draw. Many schools no longer teach cursive writing and emphasize typing skills. Mind boggling but it does seem to me the those who care about an active digitizer are very much in the minority.

In short, I unfortunately don't see much of a future in stylus land. I do hope Samsung can make a difference as they are really the only ones pushing the stylus. Of course there is the Surface Pro and other x86 based win8 tablets but they on't appear to be doing well.

I truly hope I am wrong but I think the stylus tablet market is really insignificant. Very disturbing...

Philip

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I very much see the value. I have never understood why Tablet PC's failed to catch on. Wacom screens are just great. Unfortunately it does appear that many people no longer handwrite and drawing at a high level is also not a big draw. Many schools no longer teach cursive writing and emphasize typing skills. Mind boggling but it does seem to me the those who care about an active digitizer are very much in the minority.

In short, I unfortunately don't see much of a future in stylus land. I do hope Samsung can make a difference as they are really the only ones pushing the stylus. Of course there is the Surface Pro and other x86 based win8 tablets but they on't appear to be doing well.

I truly hope I am wrong but I think the stylus tablet market is really insignificant. Very disturbing...

Philip
I don't think the value of the stylus is so much for writing as it is for sketching and drawing. I am an artist, primarily digital now, and I am involved with several communities of artists and online schools, the tablet and stylus are becoming the sketchbook of choice for many if not most of those I know. The communities I take part in are growing every day and have hundreds of artists using tablets on a daily basis. I know the Wacom tablets are a totally different animal but they can't keep up with the demand for their Intuos and Cintiq lines and the obvious addition to those is a tablet and stylus for mobile drawing and sketching. That is what nearly everyone I know is doing rather than staying tethered to their computers all the time and using pencil and paper when they are on the go.

Claudia

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the reason the stylus is making a comeback is because of the popularity of the fake stylus. There are a lot out there but have nowhere near the accuracy of the active stylus on the Note. I just graduated from an HP Touchpad that I attempted to use with a Boxwave stylus. While it is probably the best of the passive stylus, it doesn't even compare to the Note. I have stopped carrying note pads totally thanks to the Note.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

pmcdunnough

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the reason the stylus is making a comeback is because of the popularity of the fake stylus. There are a lot out there but have nowhere near the accuracy of the active stylus on the Note. I just graduated from an HP Touchpad that I attempted to use with a Boxwave stylus. While it is probably the best of the passive stylus, it doesn't even compare to the Note. I have stopped carrying note pads totally thanks to the Note.

The problem is that the stylus is not making a comeback. Sure it is important for artists, a small niche, but unless you are in the sciences most people seem to prefer typing rather than handwriting. I agree with you that the S-pen is just miles ahead of your typical non-active digitizer solutions. Those of us who have been using active digitizers for ages recognize what bargains the Note 10.1 and 8.0 are. But I still think we are in a minority. Samsung has a Windows 8 tablet based on the Intel Atom. It is supposed to come with the S-pen in Canada, according to them, but it doesn't and the screen won't work with them. Minor issue according to many of the potential buyers. If any platform should have an active digitizer it is Win8 given the really excellent software for writing. Unfortunately few care.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

300pete

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
love my android phone, but, the note is another matter.

my biggest complaint is the massive learning curve you need to go through to do most anything other than basic web browsing or playing games.

the s pen. omg, the tutorial does not tell you half of what you need to know to be able to make it usefull. adjusting settings, what they do, even simply opening a page, it is not intuitive. you have to search for how to make it work for you on the internet. most people will take it out of its holder once or twice and put it back and never look at it again.

photoshop program. OMG, unless you are familiar with working with it, you are never going to be able to figure out how to make it do what you want it to do without taking a few classes at your local college. it is not the simple point and click program like paint.

watch tv through HULU or something? nope. not gona happen. why? because andriod and adobe are in a pissing contest so the tablet does not come with flash player and adobe does not offer one to download. you have to do an internet search through forums like this one to figure out what you need and how to get it to make the pad do what it should do without having to add third party softwear.

wana attach a picture to your email? nope. not unless you either download a third party file manager or you PAY to use their cloud service which is the only option the email program will look for files in otherwise.

have more than one email account? gona need a seperate email program to add them, no option to switch between email accounts like you can with outlook.

this is the result of android trying to become apple where everything is propriatary and goes through a PAID service, like that pos windows 8 program forcing you to create a windows account just to use your email.

the note will do anything you want it to do and more but the learing curve to do it or to be able to do it without paying some monthly cloud fee is steep and very very time consuming.

i would buy it again because i am a bit tech savy, have the time and will to learn and will not be trapped into some monthly fee to use an electronic devise like apple forces upon you.

but

if you want something that is plug and play out of the box, do not buy an android pad of any type. the s pen is a fad that will fade much faster than it took to develop as well. we all have been typing since the introduction of texting, really really stupid for a company to work against human behavior with this stupid pen instead of complementing it. the whole point of a pad was to eliminate needing things like a full size computer, paper, and yes even a pen. a paper and pen style tablet. rofl, talk about irony.

want simple plug and play, get an ipad. needs nothing.

hate big companies forcing you to spend more money than you need to, get the note. just dont waste your time pulling the pen out if its holder. the 2 gigs of ram and split screen sets it apart from the rest. the pen is just the mole on a models cheek. it will do more, but it will take alot of time and research to make it do it.

Wow! I've had my Note 10?l for about 6 months now & can't relate to almost anything you've experienced. I use my Note everyday . I'm not a graphic artist but I bought the Note purely for the stylus . As someone who likes to write , create & in a job where I take a lot of notes,I find the stylus invaluable! My other motive for the stylus was that I designed an game App (I like technology but im not a developer or tech head), that is a modern day adaptation of a paper & pencil game I played as a kid. The Notes stylus therefore lent itself to my App & I really wanted to know how well it worked , & i can tell you, It works "brilliantly"!

Outside of my App need, I thought I'd mainly use my Note for web surfing while sat on the lounge & occasionally for a bit of work. Turns out I use it every day for work, petty much all day. Most of that use is with the stylus. In writing this post with the stylus now : -)

I have completely done away with the need for pen & paper. All that happens on my Note now. No more scraps paper, no note pads etc. All filed for quick & easy access anytime I need to reference or modify them.

I'll agree that it does take some time & patience to work out some things. I'm an Apple user with this my 1st Android device, so I just put my experience down to not being, used to Android UI.That said It hasn't taken me too long to work out most everything. Especially as far as the stylus is concerned. I love being able to mark up PDF's, photos etc. I will often take a photo of something, use my stylus & Samsung's PS lite App to add some notes etc & email or post on a forum to offer or request help with something.
I manage 3 email accounts on my Note without problems. Attaching files & photos is a seemless exercise without the need for 3rd party Apps or cloud storage.

I totally agree on the Flash issue. That's very annoying! Even the Flash player I downloaded from Adobe website is often clunky & unreliable. Probably my greatest dissapointment with an otherwise brilliant device.

As a creative person, I love the feel of a pen / pencil in my hand. The Note allows me to have that "old school" creative experience in the modern age whilst embracing all of the nice enhancements that technology brings to age old pursuits.

It's not perfect, but for me & my needs, it's close enough to not matter.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Dugisme

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Give the free versions of s Vermeer, and vector artist a try. There are a ton of apps to try. :) Also, s suggest, and tablified, for tablet apps, found some very cool stuff on tablified. One last thing, had this a couple months and I use it everyday, absolutely love it. And the pen has been in my hand since before I opened the thread. :) Last, last. Helps keep the screen clean too. ;)

Excuse me. Try artflow, and vector artist. And everybody should be using "Tablified". ;)

Last edited:

Dugisme

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
There is also a suite of tutorials for the photoshop touch. And get this, anything, ANYTHING you see on your screen, you can cut out and keep just by outlining it with your s pen, send it to your clipboard, notebook, etc. This Gnote 10.1 8013 is just the best.

The ppi could have been a little higher, and if you want to take a photo with the cover open you have to mod your case a little. Thing was made for taking notes, drawing on, and messing with photos. And they did it well. Just my Opin, and i get no $ for saying so.
Peace.

Also, LOL. Google account? Turn on new tablet, most of your stuff on your phone will jump right over. :)

Last edited:

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

I have five email accounts in my email app. Just go to settings and you will find an add accounts option. You might be confusing the email app with the gmail app. Both are on the device.

MyFiles can be used to attach files. It is included.

ClaudiaP

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Note 10.1 for three weeks now and so far I'm very happy with it. Being someone who spends a lot of time every day using a Wacom Intuos tablet on my desktop computer I was fairly sure I wouldn't be really comfortable with the tiny S-Pen so I ordered a Wacom Bamboo Feel at the same time I ordered the tablet and I'm really happy with that too. I spend a little time each day just playing, maybe a game of Solitaire or Mahjong before bed to help me get drowsy, but what I am using it for most of the time is doodling. I am trying out several drawing apps and so far my two favorites are ArtFlow and Infinite Painter, still not quite Procreate which according to the devs will never be Android, but getting better with each update. ArtRage is working on an Android app and I'm anxious for that as I use it on the desktop from time to time and it's really pretty good, especially the pens.
I have an iPad 3 and I do like it, but sketching is sooooo much better on the Note, I just never could get comfortable trying to sketch with something the size of my finger tip and the clear disk stylii scratch the screen and make tapping noises, not something I'm interested in. So far all of the pressure sensitive stylii for the iPad appear to work well for a few weeks and then start having problems, probably something inherent in using bluetooth to connect. Maybe I'll change my mind after Adobe finally releases their stylus with the small tip, but since that is still in development it could be a year or more before it hits the market and I can't wait that long.
The screen resolution could be a little better but it is acceptable and I can see it clearly, other than that and the quality of some of the apps, for my purposes this tablet beats the iPad hands down.

I'm still not quite ready to sell the iPad but I'm getting there. :)