Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD card use

I have a 32gb Note 10.1 with a 64gb external card. I can put music, pictures, video on the card and it works fine. My question is when I have downloaded rented or purchased movies from the Google Play Store, they srore on the internal memory. This takes a lot of space. Is there a way to move them to the external card or make them download there in the first place?
    Thanks

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Default Re: XD card use

Hi Mate,
    I think you can move anything but apps to your XD card.

Default Re: XD card use

You can move files using the built in My Files app.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Default Re: SD card use

Thanks. I hadn't tried that. I thought I needed to use Kies which is slow and not very effective.
    I guess what I want is to have large files like movies go to the external when downloaded. Moving them later is really a pain because of the large size. I have a good quality class 10 card and it's still slow moving 3.5gb files.

If you're downloading from a website, you can select where you want the file to go (including the external card). As for the speed, your connection will probably determine that, not the card per se.

Another alterative, assuming the large files are on a PC with a built-in (or external) microSD card reader, is to load the movies onto the card directly from the PC using the reader and then re-mount the card in your tablet.

MyFiles will let you change the default for pictures and videos in the settings.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks starbuckk, I do see that in the settings of my files. I have set the default to the external card. I haven't tried it yet but it does look like that is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazwtrdvl View Post
    Thanks starbuckk, I do see that in the settings of my files. I have set the default to the external card. I haven't tried it yet but it does look like that is the answer.
    Be sure to check the Show Categories box on the Settings page. Otherwise you'll be unable to select those items.

ROM
    Gnex: Team Bamf Xoom: EOS

The only way to move Google Play music, movies, magazines, etc. to the SD card is to root your device then flash a ROM that has init.d support. From there look for zedomax's thread on XDA and he has a script that will switch your internal and external memory. There is also a script that turns your SD card into the device's only storage. I bought the 16Gb version but now have a 64Gb!

Posted via Android Central App

That is 1 way but I was running out of space with my games and music and found a simple video and process. Works with most things that cache to internal.

Instructional video

Still have to be rooted.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri360 View Post
    That is 1 way but I was running out of space with my games and music and found a simple video and process. Works with most things that cache to internal.

Instructional video

Still have to be rooted.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks for this solution that really worked for me in both google music and spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazwtrdvl View Post
    I have a 32gb Note 10.1 with a 64gb external card. I can put music, pictures, video on the card and it works fine. My question is when I have downloaded rented or purchased movies from the Google Play Store, they srore on the internal memory. This takes a lot of space. Is there a way to move them to the external card or make them download there in the first place?
    Thanks
    May I ask the model number of your Note 10.1 and the color please? I know this sounds like an odd request but I promise it isn't. I have the GT-N8013 in Deep Gray 32GB, and the tech at Samsung says that I cannot use a 64gb external card, he says after asking what color it was, that I can only use a 32gb card. My Note is running Android 4.1.2 and came with that installed. This is the exact same version of Android that is running on my Note 2 phone and I have a SanDisk Ultra 64 gb card in it that works perfectly. This doesn't make sense to me.

Claudia