Would you pay for an Android 5 update on your note 10,1 ?

mangurian

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Tablet manufacturers usually do not charge for upgrades, they just stop supporting older hardware.

I am not able to pop for a Note 10.1 (2014) but I would gladly pay $15 or so for a significant OS upgrade to my current note 10.1.

Has Samsung looked at the economics of this ? Is it a loser/winner for them?

Would YOU pay ?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I personally wouldn't because there are other ways (rooting) to get updates without it being pushed from the manufacturers.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Tablet manufacturers usually do not charge for upgrades, they just stop supporting older hardware.

Would YOU pay ?

No. I have already paid to get updates, Android is free and if manufacturers do some extra tweaks to it, it is their problem, not mine. E.g. if Samsung guys want to keep me buying their stuff, they should start to update their products quicker and soon!

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4

mangurian

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
No. I have already paid to get updates, Android is free and if manufacturers do some extra tweaks to it, it is their problem, not mine. E.g. if Samsung guys want to keep me buying their stuff, they should start to update their products quicker and soon!

You didn't pay for updates. Not part of the deal when you buy the tablet. SAMSUNG has a moral obligation to fix bugs, but not to upgrade the firmware. Their upgrade is the Note 10.1 (2014)
In addition, why not just download the latest Android code and put it on your Note 10.1 ?
Can't be done and is therefore not "free" to SAMSUNG as you say. The code is available free, making it work on a given device
is another story. You can already get 4.3 onto your Note if you are willing to give up the cameras and some other stuff.

I want a working OS upgrade for my tablet and I think it promotes loyalty, but it is not a right.

thegametb

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure the Tabs have 4.2. Both my mom and brother have different size tabs and they both received their updates almost a month ago.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
You didn't pay for updates. Not part of the deal when you buy the tablet. SAMSUNG has a moral obligation to fix bugs, but not to upgrade the firmware. Their upgrade is the Note 10.1 (2014)
In addition, why not just download the latest Android code and put it on your Note 10.1 ?
Can't be done and is therefore not "free" to SAMSUNG as you say. The code is available free, making it work on a given device
is another story. You can already get 4.3 onto your Note if you are willing to give up the cameras and some other stuff.

I want a working OS upgrade for my tablet and I think it promotes loyalty, but it is not a right.

True, but Samsung could then also let the operating system be by itself so Samsung could easily update it when Google releases a new version. Now Samsung has build their own custom function and skin - so called Touchwiz, huge skin on Android os - and we are forced to wait what Samsung does and when Samsung does or if it does. Of course you can always use custom roms.

Samsung should start to take care of customers, not only sell items and forget customers after selling. If they are not going to change this behaviour, Im going to leave it and choose another manufacturer. Lucky, we can choose between them. However Im quite happy with Samsung, but i wish they could start also take care of their customers to keep them satisfied. This means, they should start to update their old devices, not only sell several new other versions and forget old devices...

Why am i so desp.. waiting 4.3? Gear works only with it. Well, if Samsung wont get 4.3 ready before xmas, it may be then "Keep your Gear, i already bought Sony".

When you buy an Android phone priced 700 euros, you can expect to get some updates too from manufacturer, because everybody knows Android gets updates.

Well, it's only Samsung cutttin his legs, if not keeping customers satisfied. Everybody can sell, but only few can keep old customers in the future too.

gdanonym

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Well if the tablet is to old so no upgrades will me made for them. And i think the tablet is running slow or really need a functionality, i would root the tablet first.
If this is not working anymore for me over time. Then it's time for a new tablet.
No need to pay for anything, except a new tablet over time.

mangurian

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
A major problem with Android version before 4.3 is the lack of TRIM functionality in the operating system.
It takes longer for the system to overwrite a solid state memory location that still might contain (outdated) data (a 0 or a 1) as opposed to
a cell marked free or never used cell. TRIM works in the background to flag unused/available memory cells.
Without TRIM the tablet will eventually slow down considerably. I happens gradually, so you might not
notice much until you see the same tablet model with little memory usage. This would be a great upgrade for the note 10.1 and is the one I want
most. A poor explanation, but it is clearly explained at the link below. Some people think a reformat of the memory (and a pain-in-the-*** reinstall)
performs the same function, but that is not true. A reformat WILL bring back the performance (I think) but it will also shorten memory life.
(this is why we don't defrag solid state drives)

Trim (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt