S. Pen Nibs

roguetrader

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for some comments/advice about changing the nibs on the S. Pen. I use a black nib in my Samsung HM5100 Bluetooth S Pen but it has become a little 'draggy' even though there's still quite a bit of white showing on the tip; I feel the need to change it. Does anyone know of the optimum time to change nibs, or have any particular views? Comments would oblige.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using AC Forums mobile app

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If a white tip is showing through the gray nib, sounds like you've worn through an outer layer. I'd say it's time to change it. lol I need to change mine too but am not sure where that tiny little pouch got to. I figured, little pieces of plastic, how much could they cost? HA Samsung transferred me to Samsung parts which gave me a quote, after much delay, for 22 dollars for 3 nibs. I can just get a new S-pen for 30 something! geez

(add on) I found my nibs and even the gray ones have some white at the tip. Mine has started to feel scratchy sometimes and when I ran my fingers over the end it felt like there were rough edges. That's why I thought mine was worn enough to be changed. Now that I found mine, they're going in a safe place! )

Last edited:

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I had no idea they were even Replaceable let alone that we got extras...this amazing forum of Couse set me straight...I changed my nib once So far,. Made a huge difference but l have not bought a new package of them so I Am trying to conserve...Someone posted a website a few months back that not only had the nibs for cheap but also sold the S pen relatively cheap as well. this Reminds me that I had to pick up some nibs and also still need to get meth Eraser S Pen.. BTW my firmware has just updated and the new writing Recognition Is absolutely AMAZING !!! I just wrote this entire post with my S Pen

jeffro77

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
The Note 10.1 (and the Note 2, for that matter) use Wacom digitizers, and you can actually purchase 3rd-party styli and nibs.

For the bundled pen, any of Standard Nibs, Chisel Felt Nibs, Stroke Nibs, Hard Felt Nibs, and Flex Nibs listed at https://store.wacom.com/us/accessories/nibs-and-ink-refills will actully work - they'll be a smidge too long, but you can cut them to length (be sure to cut the non-writing end) and they'll work just fine. I personally like the Flex Nibs because they give a little bit of bite, but YMMV.

For 3rd-party wholesale replacements, here are two that I know for a fact will work:

ThinkPad Tablet Digitizer Pen | Lenovo | (US)
https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/UP710E

All of the pens in this search-results list will probably work: https://store.wacom.com/us/search-results?s=Penabled

I've read some documentation that suggests that not all styli are created equal; some of the Lenovo pens, for example, only provide up to 256 levels of pressure sensitivity (the digitizer in the Note 10.1 in conjunction with the bundled stylus will do 1024 levels). I haven't been able to find anything regarding this for the 2 pens I listed which I know to work. I'm not a digital artist, and I wouldn't know what 256 feels like as compared to 1024; all I can tell you is that if I press harder, I get fatter darker lines.

Be sure to shop around, as well - the links I provided show MSRP, not street price.

jeffro77

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
And just to clarify, I'm speaking specifically to the Note 10.1 in regards to the replacement nibs. I don't think the nib in the stylus bundled with the Note 2 is replaceable.

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I can use any of the nibs for Wacom tablets to replace the nib for my S-pen?
I have plenty of replacement nibs for my Wacom tablet, so it would be really handy if that's true.

jeffro77

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I've got an intuos 5 (although I'm not a graphics artist, I am a photographer), and yes - all of the nibs I use for that pen work with my pen for my Note 10.1. Do note, however, that the intuos pen won't work with the Note. As I stated above, the nibs will be a little long - but you can cut them down.

=)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I've got an intuos 5 (although I'm not a graphics artist, I am a photographer), and yes - all of the nibs I use for that pen work with my pen for my Note 10.1. Do note, however, that the intuos pen won't work with the Note. As I stated above, the nibs will be a little long - but you can cut them down.

=)

Oh, that's awesome. Thanks for the info! Hahah, I already tried to use my Wacom Bamboo pen on my Note... xD

Eb11

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
I was having a hard time with this also. I've had my note III for over a year now, and was wondering how to know when to replace the nib for the stylus. The one that came in my s-pen still seems to be working just fine, and I've taken oodles of notes and drawn a lot with it. I was looking at the replacement pack of nibs and removal tool that came with my phone, and I noticed that the new nibs and my old nib look different! the replacement nibs seem like they are hard plastic all the way up to the tip, and are pointier that mine. They don't have the rubbery feeling tip like the old one. Is this because mine is worn out? Or am I not crazy and they are actually different kinds of nibs?
2015-03-18 13.56.34.jpg

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been on this forum for a long long time but I saw this and wanted to contribute my experiences-

Once I learned they were replaceable and I had extras in the box, I replaced mine quite a few times - it makes a HUG difference. The one that is dark colored with a white tip is designed to provide a certain amount of resistance aka "drag" to feel more like actual writing - and it does wear out eventually. Clean your screen /protector (i have used a ZAGG , professionally installed since the day I bought the tablet, and it makes a huge difference IMHO) and then change the nib and you'll find writing a new joy.

The white one is designed to be smooth rubber on rubber or polymer on polymer, very very smooth writing and no resistance. It is my understanding these do not actually "wear out" or at least, much much less than the other.

Someone had a line on replacements on this forum, I just forget where.

missbii

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Eb11: I got my galaxy note 3 and galaxy note tab 10.1 in October 2014, and I have the nibs... but I moved recently and have totally lost them.. but when I first changed my cell's pen nib, all the tips looked the same. However, the ones from my tablet were pointier and way better at accuracy on drawing.... which is weird to me. But both nib tips work in both pens... so, the ones you have probably work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez