Galaxy Note 10.1 - Thinking of buying one, advice needed.

Jamie_tnt

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to pull the trigger on either this or the tab 3.

I would prefer this, but with the tab 3 being newer I'm worried about the continued Os updates from Samsung.

Does anyone know of any upcoming updates for the note 10.1?

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's dumb to choose a device based on possible updates. If the device can not do what you currently need it to do an update will not change that. The old Note 10.1 will receive one less update than the tablets released this year. The main difference between the Tab series and the Note series is the s-pen. If you don't plan on using the s-pen you're better off getting the Tab, unless price does not make a difference.
As "starbuckk" said the new Note 10.1 is about to be released. It has a higher screen rez then the current one. It also has some higher specs, but not enough to see a noticeable difference. The price of the current one has dropped a lot in the last couple months.

Jamie_tnt

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
What I'm getting at, is will it receive the features found on the 2014 edition. Also it isn't dumb to choose a device based on updates, as it remains more current and holds its value better.

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What I'm getting at, is will it receive the features found on the 2014 edition. Also it isn't dumb to choose a device based on updates, as it remains more current and holds its value better.
It will probably receive some of the updates, no one has any idea which ones, not even Samsung 10.1 support folks, I've asked. And when the updates come, it's like a search mystery game to figure out what's new. I have the original Note phone and when I was trying to figure out what all I wanted to save before my switch to a Note 3, I found some features from updates that I never knew I had! The original Note never got the multi view feature but did get a lot of improvements on the existing features. If you would like to be able to save information from web sites, emails, etc. The 10.1 makes it very easy. I love having the multi view/dual window and being able to have two apps open at once. I can write in one window, surf the net on the other, save information from the web and with a blue tooth keyboard, it's like a small laptop. There are some things that are easier to do on my 10.1 than on my powerful desktop.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The new model should be available now. 599 last price I saw. Lots of the older ones still around so price should start dropping on them.
Don't underestimate the value of the Spen. It does get a lot of envy when I am using it in a room full of iPad users trying to write notes with their fat pretend stylus.

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4

pmcdunnough

May 18, 2013
Visit site
The new model should be available now. 599 last price I saw. Lots of the older ones still around so price should start dropping on them.
Don't underestimate the value of the Spen. It does get a lot of envy when I am using it in a room full of iPad users trying to write notes with their fat pretend stylus.

Sent from the tiny keyboard on my S4

The Spen is great . However, there are now some very interesting BT pens for the iPad3+ from Adonit. They are almost as good as the Spen and there are some really excellent note taking apps which get you very close to a paper experience. Of course the BT pens are not cheap but they are far better than the crayon pens you mentioned.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I recently made a decision on whether to update my Note phone or my Note 10.1 to the new version by realizing any updates are based on hardware. I got updates to my original Note phone but as I said, never the really cool ones. I upgraded to the Note 3 phone and I have to tell you, the new features are just awesome and would be even better if there was more real estate to enjoy them like on the 10.1 2014. Check out videos on YouTube so you can see both in action. I'd rather do research on the web with my tablet than with the desktop and the new features of the 10.1 would even make it better. When you can have multiple apps open at once, it's just awesome!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely recommend the '14 Note 10.1 over the Tab 3 10.1. Think of it as an Acura TSX vs. a Honda Civic or a Lexus IS350 vs. a Toyota Corrolla. It's a great device with a substantial feature-set, outstanding display, high-end components, and great performance.

from my '14 Note 10.1

john248

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd pick the Nexus 10 over the Tab 10.1 if it were me. If anyone has any use for the S-pen, the note series wins. I have the Note 10.1, but it looks like I'll be getting the 10.1 2014 soon as I like my Note 3 so much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze