Coincidence or a Problem??

humbardl

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Note 10.1 for about 9 months. Until recently the only complaint I have is how it works with a Bluetooth Keyboard.

Here is my situation ... and is it a Problem or Coincidence? ... I purchased a new case with bluetooth keyboard. I purchased the Aluratek Slim Color Folio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for Galaxy Tab2 / Note 10.1. At the same time I purchased the case I received an update which I installed. I noticed almost immediately three things.

1. It seemed to take longer then normal to charge.
2. One spot on the Note was always warm (even when idle). Sometimes it would get very warm. Before I had only noticed it getting warm when charging toward the right side.
3. The battery would run down in 7 to 8 hours.

This went on for three days. After checking all settings to make sure all "sync" settings were at manual (where possible), and after uninstalling a sync hog like weather bug, it seemed to not make a difference. I then decided to back up and do a complete reset. Following the reset I received another update. I re installed the apps, actually leaving several off just in case it was one of them causing the issue. Still the same result. Long charge and about 7 hours until it needed another charge.

I bring the case into the picture because it contains a flap/stand that is a magnet. I wondered if that could be a problem. This is where the coincidence comes in. I would think not but since I started using it at the same time as the first update came in .... I wondered.

Last night I had a new twist in all of this. I fully charged my tablet before retiring for the evening. I always read prior to lights out. When I idled my Note and put it on the bedside stand I though everything was OK. It showed a full charge. This morning when I woke up it was completely discharged. Now this took place between 9:30 last night and 5:15 this morning. I also noticed something else. A crack in the upper right of the screen (see picture). I also noticed that the Note was very warm .... even though it was fully discharged.

I wonder what everyone's thoughts might be. Coincidence or do I have a problem? Could the magnet in the case have anything to do with it? Could my battery be going bad and causing excessive heat? Could the updates have screwed things up? A lot of questions. I don't want to purchase and install a new glass only to find out I have other problems.

Please ... what are your thoughts??Note 10.1.jpg

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Did you try removing the case, and seeing if the battery issue went away?
Did you go into your battery usage screen, and seeing what the heaviest drain was?
Did you drop the Note, possibly causing the crack? If dropped, it may have damaged the Note or the battery, causing the discharge issue.
If you did not drop the Note, are you positive the crack was not there the night before? Or that you just hadn't noticed it until then? If you're sure you didn't drop it, and that it popped up on its own overnight, your battery could be swelling. This could put pressure on the screen and cause the crack.
I wouldn't think the case would cause this, but just in case, I would check out reviews online and see if anyone else has this issue after installing the case.

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Not enough information was given about the case so it would be easy enough to answer that the case could be the problem. You could just take the case off for a day or two.

One of the first two cases I tried (both had magnets) would conflict with the sPen and turned the tablet on when I closed the cover. The other did not so conflict.

Also, if you go to settings then battery, you should see what is using your power. So if you charge fully, and leave it sleeping for an hour or more, then wake it and immediately check the battery settings, you wouldn't expect Screen to be the highest user of your battery. If it is then something is turning the screen on.

Finally, there are lots of things that could be blamed for the problems you are experiencing and there may be more than one answer--especially if you have been installing a bunch of apps.

humbardl

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
All good points. I am very careful with my Note. I not only have a case for it, but I carry it to and from my school in a rather thick bag. I am certain the crack was not there.
In the battery usage screen it showed media was the largest user. Second was the screen. This is fairly normal I have heard for the Notes.
I have the case removed now and have it on charging. Will see what happens. I have another tablet to use temporarily. The idea of the battery swelling is a good one. I am going to order the pry tool and a new glass this weekend. Giving thought to a new battery as well. I know I had a similar problem with my first Samsung phone. The battery did swell and cause problems. So will look further into that. Many thanks for your input.

humbardl

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't thought about the conflict with the pen. Good point. And I do like using the pen. Think now, after your comments, of returning the case. I will say the keyboard worked well. It almost seemed like I didn't get the annoying virtual keyboard quite as often. Thanks for your input.

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
All good points. I am very careful with my Note. I not only have a case for it, but I carry it to and from my school in a rather thick bag. I am certain the crack was not there.
In the battery usage screen it showed media was the largest user. Second was the screen. This is fairly normal I have heard for the Notes.
I have the case removed now and have it on charging. Will see what happens. I have another tablet to use temporarily. The idea of the battery swelling is a good one. I am going to order the pry tool and a new glass this weekend. Giving thought to a new battery as well. I know I had a similar problem with my first Samsung phone. The battery did swell and cause problems. So will look further into that. Many thanks for your input.

What falls under "media"? Mine shows 43% of my battery is killed by the screen, everything else falls well below that. Do you play alot of videos from the media player?
Also, where do you get glass and batteries for these? Mine hasn't given me any problems yet, but once it does, I'd like to know some options!

humbardl

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I think media refers to downloading. I have not touched my "bad" Note all day. Screen is very low. Media is pretty much maxed out. I have no idea what might be causing that. But like I said, this did not start happening until after the update last week. Hmmm. You might be on to something here. Because my other Note shows very low media usage and I have been using it quite heavily. Thanks again for you thoughts.

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't thought about the conflict with the pen. Good point. And I do like using the pen. Think now, after your comments, of returning the case. I will say the keyboard worked well. It almost seemed like I didn't get the annoying virtual keyboard quite as often. Thanks for your input.

By conflict with the sPen I mean that it would think the pen was removed and turn on the tablet.

ROTU

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
This is very similar to something that I am experiencing. I believe my keyboard/case is discharging my Note 10.1 battery and resetting it back to the factory date (6:00 pm, 12/31/2011). When this first started happening, I sent the Note back and they sent me a replacement, and now the same thing is happening. This ONLY happens if I leave the keyboard/case attached. When I leave it off--no problem.

zr2s10

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
This is very similar to something that I am experiencing. I believe my keyboard/case is discharging my Note 10.1 battery and resetting it back to the factory date (6:00 pm, 12/31/2011). When this first started happening, I sent the Note back and they sent me a replacement, and now the same thing is happening. This ONLY happens if I leave the keyboard/case attached. When I leave it off--no problem.

Does yours have a magnet in it as well? It's typically not as big of a problem as it used to be, but I know growing up we always had the rule that magnets and electronics don't mix! Obviously, if something had a magnet as part of the assembly, it was designed to work with it. But any magnet that was not part of a product, was to be kept away. Magnets and hard drives/floppy discs don't mix, big speakers next to CRT TVs would cause color issues (possibly permanently), etc.

I know that solid state devices are not as sensitive, but I still avoid it. It would seem by these cover issues, that is still a good rule.