Galaxy Note 10.1 4.3

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Let's ignore hardware for a moment then. I upgrade because hardware and the stock software was more of a bonus. How many schools and businesses actually have the latest software? That contradicts your point already. A lot of businesses in still use Windows xp and/or Vista, though 7 and 8 have been available. That's 2-3 generations old! Yet they're still using it.

A a lot of businesses skip generations of Windows like that not because it is not wanted but because its expensive to deploy for one and two sometimes it has to go through a huge approval process. Or other systems and programs that business has itself would have to change with it. The DoD would be one example of not upgrading to every generation

jlschulz

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The point is, businesses by hardware based on the perception that they WILL be able to purchase new equipment in the future and its compatible with the software from older generations, like Apple and Microsoft. Samsung made a product in the Note 10 that is a absolute perfect fit for business users. But the perception that Samsung is giving themis that they are not going to be worrying about compatability between editions, and that yoi wont be able to buy old editions to maintain compatability. Any business that has any intelligence at all will NOT invest in Samsung phones or tablets when they know future hires will not be able to get compatible equipment.

Allanar

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Originally Posted by Haalcyon
Nexus. Nexus devices are the only way your expectations are going to be met as far as OS upgrades. That's just the reality. Apple can keep things updated because they have far less hardware to consider and they do charge a premium which some feel isn't justified.

from my Optimus G Pro

The problem with Google Nexus is the same problem I have with Apple iPad, they want to charge you $100 for an $18 dollar micro sd card. To go from 16GB to 32GB on the Nexus 10 the price jumps $100 and you cannot add your own SD Card, that is total crap. I gladly paid the additional for the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 because it allowed me to add my own SD Card. Yes, I have used more than 32GB of data on my tablet, I have all of the photos I take on there. I also LOVE the S Pen and Photoshop Touch. The Note 10.1 far outshines the iPad or the Nexus and the price is comparable to the Nexus. I refuse to buy any tablet that does not allow me to add an SD Card of some sort and after using the S Pen I will never buy a tablet that doesn't have a pressure sensitive stylus. The Surface 2 appears to be a nice device, but the price is just crazy for what it is.
Now I'm not saying that Samsung is the be-all end-all of tablets, but I haven't found one I like better yet, until I do I'll stick with Samsung. Slow OS updates and all.
If I really get tired of waiting I'll just make my own OS update.

P.S. My Samsung Galaxy S3 got updated today with Android 4.3. I'm hoping the Galaxy Note 10.1 isn't too far behind.

Last edited:

blyent

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
First off I've been an Apple customer for several years. I saw the Note 10.1 2012 edition about 6 months ago and thought I would try it out. It was priced similar to Apple Ipad but since I had version 1 of the Apple Ipad I wanted to try the Android. Initially I liked the tablet. However, its very clumsy and maybe its because I wasn't used to it. However, the SPen is fantastic. Love it.

My issue is like most everyone else is the upgrade. Say what you will regarding Apple but they update their devices for several years. I know when an update comes out all my devices will be getting it (unless the devices are several years old and the hardware just cant handle it).

This to me is unacceptable for Samsung \ Android. As a consumer I do have a choice. For some they may not care. For me, I do. I'll consider this a lesson learned and will move off of the Android devices. As a technology person I spend several thousand dollars on electronic devices each year. I just purchased a Microsoft Surface to try that out. If it wasn't for the S Pen feature, I think I would like the Surface just as much....maybe more. But I spent $250-300 less. If the Surface \ Windows tablets ends up not satisfying my requirments. Then I will definetely stay with the Ipad line.

Last edited:

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Nexus is an android beta test and there is no stylus suppprt which is why we buy the note line you $&=/*/"&/;;

That may have been somewhat true a couple years ago, but it is not now.

I would encourage anyone who hasn't tried a Nexus product to fork out the relatively inexpensive $ for a Nexus 7 2012 or 2013. Google only charges an extra $50 for more internal memory. That is their margin. The base Nexus 7 2012 basically sold near cost for $199 in the summer of 2012.

You are absolutely right that the S pen and IR blaster make the note 10.1 a special niche tablet product that doesn't have a real competitor. The problem is that there just aren't that many note 10.1 users by comparison. My S3 and Note 10.1 are great devices, but they will probably be the last devices I purchase for which Samsung is responsible for the OS. They make fantastic hardware, but their firmware and software is first rushed and lacking and then delayed and overdue. The same is true for my Samsung Blu-Ray player, great device but the firmware has been problematic. The internet app was broken for months until they finally pushed an update to fix it.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
First off I've been an Apple customer for several years. I saw the Note 10.1 2012 edition about 6 months ago and thought I would try it out. It was priced similar to Apple Ipad but since I had version 1 of the Apple Ipad I wanted to try the Android. Initially I liked the tablet. However, its very clumsy and maybe its because I wasn't used to it. However, the SPen is fantastic. Love it.

My issue is like most everyone else is the upgrade. Say what you will regarding Apple but they update their devices for several years. I know when an update comes out all my devices will be getting it (unless the devices are several years old and the hardware just cant handle it).

This to me is unacceptable for Samsung \ Android. As a consumer I do have a choice. For some they may not care. For me, I do. I'll consider this a lesson learned and will move off of the Android devices. As a technology person I spend several thousand dollars on electronic devices each year. I just purchased a Microsoft Surface to try that out. If it wasn't for the S Pen feature, I think I would like the Surface just as much....maybe more. But I spent $250-300 less. If the Surface \ Windows tablets ends up not satisfying my requirments. Then I will definetely stay with the Ipad line.

Same for me, SPen was the only reason to buy Note 10.1 (2012) plus the ability to call. But as good as Note 10.1 is, I have to face reality and keep waiting to find perfect tablet with an optimized pen and fully supported sharing and compatibility. Looks like Samsung just cannot offer this. Im hoping it would be windows based tablet or ipad because it seems to be that other android manufacturer are not interested in pen features like Samsung, but Im not interested in owning any new Samsung device. Just bought other android device and for sure, it wasnt from Samsung :p and never will be again... Samsung should start using "pre" instead of "pro".

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4

BTownBiz

May 10, 2013
Visit site
What tablets from 2012 with the specs of the Note 10.1 (not including s pen technology and despite the screen.. still boggles my mind why they didn't use an HD display) are updated to 4.3 (besides NEXUS devices ofc)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
What tablets from 2012 with the specs of the Note 10.1 (not including s pen technology and despite the screen.. still boggles my mind why they didn't use an HD display) are updated to 4.3 (besides NEXUS devices ofc)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using AC Forums mobile app

Dont know, but the less expensive and older tf300 has 4.2.2., already got it on spring. Asus is known to give updates and soon, so Im quessing tf300 and tf700 probably get A4.3/4.4 too. Now they have been busy with their new tf701 with its updates and maybe after that, they released updates for the old tablets too... Dont know, but Asus knows how to keep their customers happy and loyal. So Im pretty sure tf300/700 is updated soon too...

jackiemiller12901

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Well, I should say, that Im satisfied with Samsung when (=WHEN) they update their devices. Most of all, Samsung makes stable updates, which is important. And I did know it when I bought my Note 10.1 that Im forced to wait updates sometimes but still.. Almost a year since they last update it to 4.1.2 and now we are going already 4.4, their newest devices have 4.3. They also designed an accessory which needs Android 4.3 but they didnt update their latest products before it. Whaaaaaat? What were they thinking??? Nothing?

Im not asking I should get every updates, but Im expecting to get my device to work with their accessories they made by themselves. I have Asus TF300 and it gets updates all the time, sometimes too often, but at least Asus knows how to keep their customers happy.

Samsung is going to hang itself if they dont change their behaviour from only manufacturing more devices than it is already enough. We were not buying "chinacrap" - use once and throw away -we thought we were buying some premium devices.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
My tablet crashes using playstore. Please help

wrong thread, but have you already tried to clear Play store cache?
settings - applocations - all apps - google play store - button "clear cache" (wait and then reboot your phone).

if that is not helping, maybe uninstalling updates from the app, rebooting the phone and let it reinstalling play store updates helps.

500words

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
You write that Apple charges a premium. Agreed. So does Samsung for the Note tablets. If I paid the same amount for an iPad as I did for my note, I'd likely get 2-3 updates from Apple during the product's lifetime. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least one (and maybe two) updates during my tablet's lifetime if I paid a premium for it.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least one (and maybe two) updates during my tablet's lifetime if I paid a premium for it.

I dont think it is unreasonable ever to expect updates unless manufacturer start to sell updates for a reasonable price. Until they do that, they should update old devices without even asking them to do that.

Getting a new version of operating system can not mean you need to buy a new device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance