Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By repligation
  • 1 Post By zr2s10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 10.1: Is this model still worth a purchase?

is this model still worth a purchase? specially since 2014 model is released and no OS updates coming in for 2012 model. While newer models will have Kitkat 4.4. and this one is still on 4.0...
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-10-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Default Re: is this model still worth a purchase?

For the price point and the 'outdated' overall specs, I'd say you could be better off with a Nexus 10 or pony up the dough for the newer model if you absolutely must have the S-Pen. The screen, especially, is what really makes a difference.
    Gilda Gomez likes this.

Not unless the price is drastically reduced (Like 50%). My kids love this tablet but SpookDroid is right, the screen res is a major let down. IR blaster and S-Pen are nice, but this tablet was always overpriced.
    Samsung Galaxy S3, Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Gilda Gomez likes this.

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

If SPen is that you want, I would consider 2014-model. If not, then I would buy totally something else... (Note 10.1 has A4.1 - might be sold with A4.0 but, i think, all models already have 4.1.x update??)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Bought tab 3 10.1 few weeks back, my wife took that from me. So now I am back to square - need something else for me. Don't feel like spending as much for 2014 model. Prerequisite is minimum 10 inch model, I thought Samsung may launch something at better price in CES 2014, they did showcase tab pro but not sure when will that be a available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by heeemz View Post
    is this model still worth a purchase? specially since 2014 model is released and no OS updates coming in for 2012 model. While newer models will have Kitkat 4.4. and this one is still on 4.0...
    As others have pointed out, without a drastic reduction in price, no, not worth a purchase at this point. You'd be better off with the 2014 version or if you want bigger, wait for the 12.2" Galaxy Note Pro (see link below)! That's what I'm seriously considering!

Samsung makes the Galaxy Pro line of tablets official | Android Central
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    As others have pointed out, without a drastic reduction in price, no, not worth a purchase at this point. You'd be better off with the 2014 version or if you want bigger, wait for the 12.2" Galaxy Note Pro (see link below)! That's what I'm seriously considering!

Samsung makes the Galaxy Pro line of tablets official | Android Central
    This is just unveiled, doubt know how soon they will be available. Well I would love to see tab pro 10.1 released.

I cannot imagine holding a 12" tablet for an extended period of time.

Sent via my Note 8
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger#IM View Post

Sent via my Note 8
    Yeah, wouldn't be easy to hold for any longer.

The bargains on this model should start coming out. Keep an eye out. Though it maybe harder to find a 32gb model at brick and mortar stores. Seemed to me there was a lot of these still on shelves when the new model came out. Eventually places will want to unload them.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

I just got mine yesterday. The only thing is that I cant play Amazon instant video on it. Might be a deal breaker

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger#IM View Post
    Yeah, it will most likely be a bit heavier. But probably not by much. The new 2014 Note 10.1 is actually lighter than the older version (see comparison here). So Samsung may be able to keep the 12.2" weight down, although it would most definitely be larger though which may be an issue. But I can't hold the 10.1 for very long either and why it's often propped up in its Belkin Cinema Leather Folio case.

Note 10.1: Is this model still worth a purchase?-41epxt2t1nl._sy300_.jpg

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Yeah, it will most likely be a bit heavier. But probably not by much. The new 2014 Note 10.1 is actually lighter than the older version (see comparison here). So Samsung may be able to keep the 12.2" weight down, although it would most definitely be larger though which may be an issue. But I can't hold the 10.1 for very long either and why it's often propped up in its Belkin Cinema Leather Folio case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41epxt2T1nL._SY300_.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	100336
    I have the same case on mine, wouldn't get another one without it! I'm hoping they release this for the Note 12.2, because my plan is to replace my old 10.1 with that. Well, I'll have to see it first... And save the money up first...
    Synycalwon likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Bought tab 3 10.1 few weeks back, my wife took that from me. So now I am back to square - need something else for me. Don't feel like spending as much for 2014 model. Prerequisite is minimum 10 inch model, I thought Samsung may launch something at better price in CES 2014, they did showcase tab pro but not sure when will that be a available.

I am tempted to buy either tab 3 10.1 or note 10.1 (2012). Would have repeted tab 3 but it is no longer at 299, now all I get is at 359. It's a good product but don't feel this worth for that price though. And note is just 40 more at an Amazon. So the dilemma.

I am tempted to buy either tab 3 10.1 or note 10.1 (2012). Would have repeted tab 3 but it is no longer at 299, now all I get is at 359. It's a good product but don't feel this worth for that price though. And note is just 40 more at an Amazon. So the dilemma.

I am thinking of selling my 2012 Note 10.1 (in case anyone is interested...) to upgrade to the newer version or Nexus 10 tablet because I need the improved resolution. My eyes are pretty bad and a primary reason for the 2012 tablet purchase but now that these new screens are available I am very motivated.

I need a 10" model and will probably upgrade to a 32gb version as I learned the hard way that I can't move apps to the SD card. Two things about Android I detest: can't move and run apps from ext SD card and it is hard to quit a game and kill it. I see that apps sometimes keep running in the background despite task killers. Ugh.

Advice on which 10" tablet to consider? And what is the best way or place to sell my 2012 Note 10.1? I have never sold on ebay and wouldn't even know what price to set.
    Thanks!