Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "unfortunately s-note has stopped"

Hi everybody

I have just purchased a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 ed.). I did that almost exclusively because of the note-taking feature.
    I was pretty happy until yesterday when, after some hours of work and 8 pages of calculations, s-note crashed, saying "unfortunately s-note has stopped".
    Now the notebook I was editing when this happened seems to be there, but when I try to open it its last page is black, and whatever I try s-note crashes again, giving the same message.

I do not think this is a matter of file size. The file that originated the problem is .89 Mb, but I have other files (among which a .98Mb one ) which I can access and edit no problem.
    Did any of you guys have the same problem? Is there a way I can salvage my last note?
    This is really irritating because, as I said, I purchased this device mainly for freehand note-taking. At the moment I am not interested in fancy features such as including images, sound, and other media. And frankly I would not even dare, given that s-note seems unable to manage a much simpler feat.

Is s-note the right tool for what I need, by the way? I assumed so, because it seems to be the default application for the s-pen.
    Should I try a different app?
    Thanks a lot for your help
    Francesco

Global Posts
    17,600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: "unfortunately s-note has stopped"

Quote Originally Posted by pieffebi View Post
    Hi everybody

I have just purchased a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 ed.). I did that almost exclusively because of the note-taking feature.
    I was pretty happy until yesterday when, after some hours of work and 8 pages of calculations, s-note crashed, saying "unfortunately s-note has stopped".
    Now the notebook I was editing when this happened seems to be there, but when I try to open it its last page is black, and whatever I try s-note crashes again, giving the same message.

I do not think this is a matter of file size. The file that originated the problem is .89 Mb, but I have other files (among which a .98Mb one ) which I can access and edit no problem.
    Did any of you guys have the same problem? Is there a way I can salvage my last note?
    This is really irritating because, as I said, I purchased this device mainly for freehand note-taking. At the moment I am not interested in fancy features such as including images, sound, and other media. And frankly I would not even dare, given that s-note seems unable to manage a much simpler feat.

Is s-note the right tool for what I need, by the way? I assumed so, because it seems to be the default application for the s-pen.
    Should I try a different app?
    Thanks a lot for your help
    Francesco
    Welcome to the forums.
    The fist thing I would try is go into Settings>Apps/Application Manager>swipe over to All Apps>scroll down to Snote. Click on it. Click clear cache, and only clear cache.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    The fist thing I would try is go into Settings>Apps/Application Manager>swipe over to All Apps>scroll down to Snote. Click on it. Click clear cache, and only clear cache.
    Hi Golfdriver97,

thanks a lot for your reply!
    In my Galaxy note settings I cannot find an "app" tab or option.
    However there is an Application Manager in the "general" tab of "settings"
    By default it shows the downloaded apps, and it took me a while to understand the "swipe" thing (I'm new to both android o.s. and samsung products)
    Anyway, I was able to open the settings for s note (settings>general>application manager, swipe to all), and to clear the cache as you suggest.
    Unfortunately, this did not change the behavior I have described above.
    My last s-note file still has a black last page, and when I try to open it, s-note crashes ("unfortunately s note has stopped").
    Once again, I seem to be able to open and edit the previously created s-note files.
    I do not understand what is happening. I did nothing fancy in my last notebook. Just jotted down some notes with the s pen.
    I hope I can recover my last notes. Is there a way to "extract" a subset of pages from a s-note document?

Thanks again for your help.
    F

Give Lecture Notes a try. No failures, no lost data.

Via my Note 3
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

Global Posts
    17,600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Hi Golfdriver97,

thanks a lot for your reply!
    In my Galaxy note settings I cannot find an "app" tab or option.
    However there is an Application Manager in the "general" tab of "settings"
    By default it shows the downloaded apps, and it took me a while to understand the "swipe" thing (I'm new to both android o.s. and samsung products)
    Anyway, I was able to open the settings for s note (settings>general>application manager, swipe to all), and to clear the cache as you suggest.
    Unfortunately, this did not change the behavior I have described above.
    My last s-note file still has a black last page, and when I try to open it, s-note crashes ("unfortunately s note has stopped").
    Once again, I seem to be able to open and edit the previously created s-note files.
    I do not understand what is happening. I did nothing fancy in my last notebook. Just jotted down some notes with the s pen.
    I hope I can recover my last notes. Is there a way to "extract" a subset of pages from a s-note document?

Thanks again for your help.
    F
    As for recovering the file, maybe Kies can help. It is a Samsung program that is similar to iTunes, found on Samsung's website. However, once extracted, I don't know if it can be converted for another app.

Try the above poster's suggestion, or I like Keep from Google. I doubt it is compatible with the SPen, but it is a nice note taking app.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

bclinger,

thanks a lot for your suggestion!
    I heard of lecture notes. I think I'll follow your advice and give it a try.
    I'd like to recover my lost notes though.
    By the way, who is in charge for s note? Is that a built-in feature of android? Is it a third party app?

Global Posts
    17,600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

bclinger,

thanks a lot for your suggestion!
    I heard of lecture notes. I think I'll follow your advice and give it a try.
    I'd like to recover my lost notes though.
    By the way, who is in charge for s note? Is that a built-in feature of android? Is it a third party app?
    Its a Samsung app. Installed and hooked into the ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline

A note, I gave up rather quickly with Snores. Lost 2 files and in search of a different solution. The learning curve is there, the results worth it.

Sent via my Note 8
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.