Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "unfortunately s-note has stopped"

Hi everybody

I have just purchased a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 ed.). I did that almost exclusively because of the note-taking feature.
    I was pretty happy until yesterday when, after some hours of work and 8 pages of calculations, s-note crashed, saying "unfortunately s-note has stopped".
    Now the notebook I was editing when this happened seems to be there, but when I try to open it its last page is black, and whatever I try s-note crashes again, giving the same message.

I do not think this is a matter of file size. The file that originated the problem is .89 Mb, but I have other files (among which a .98Mb one ) which I can access and edit no problem.
    Did any of you guys have the same problem? Is there a way I can salvage my last note?
    This is really irritating because, as I said, I purchased this device mainly for freehand note-taking. At the moment I am not interested in fancy features such as including images, sound, and other media. And frankly I would not even dare, given that s-note seems unable to manage a much simpler feat.

Is s-note the right tool for what I need, by the way? I assumed so, because it seems to be the default application for the s-pen.
    Should I try a different app?
    Thanks a lot for your help
    Francesco

Global Posts
    25,264 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: "unfortunately s-note has stopped"

Quote Originally Posted by pieffebi View Post
    Hi everybody

I have just purchased a Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 ed.). I did that almost exclusively because of the note-taking feature.
    I was pretty happy until yesterday when, after some hours of work and 8 pages of calculations, s-note crashed, saying "unfortunately s-note has stopped".
    Now the notebook I was editing when this happened seems to be there, but when I try to open it its last page is black, and whatever I try s-note crashes again, giving the same message.

I do not think this is a matter of file size. The file that originated the problem is .89 Mb, but I have other files (among which a .98Mb one ) which I can access and edit no problem.
    Did any of you guys have the same problem? Is there a way I can salvage my last note?
    This is really irritating because, as I said, I purchased this device mainly for freehand note-taking. At the moment I am not interested in fancy features such as including images, sound, and other media. And frankly I would not even dare, given that s-note seems unable to manage a much simpler feat.

Is s-note the right tool for what I need, by the way? I assumed so, because it seems to be the default application for the s-pen.
    Should I try a different app?
    Thanks a lot for your help
    Francesco
    Welcome to the forums.
    The fist thing I would try is go into Settings>Apps/Application Manager>swipe over to All Apps>scroll down to Snote. Click on it. Click clear cache, and only clear cache.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    The fist thing I would try is go into Settings>Apps/Application Manager>swipe over to All Apps>scroll down to Snote. Click on it. Click clear cache, and only clear cache.
    Hi Golfdriver97,

thanks a lot for your reply!
    In my Galaxy note settings I cannot find an "app" tab or option.
    However there is an Application Manager in the "general" tab of "settings"
    By default it shows the downloaded apps, and it took me a while to understand the "swipe" thing (I'm new to both android o.s. and samsung products)
    Anyway, I was able to open the settings for s note (settings>general>application manager, swipe to all), and to clear the cache as you suggest.
    Unfortunately, this did not change the behavior I have described above.
    My last s-note file still has a black last page, and when I try to open it, s-note crashes ("unfortunately s note has stopped").
    Once again, I seem to be able to open and edit the previously created s-note files.
    I do not understand what is happening. I did nothing fancy in my last notebook. Just jotted down some notes with the s pen.
    I hope I can recover my last notes. Is there a way to "extract" a subset of pages from a s-note document?

Thanks again for your help.
    F

Give Lecture Notes a try. No failures, no lost data.

Via my Note 3
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

Global Posts
    25,264 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Hi Golfdriver97,

thanks a lot for your reply!
    In my Galaxy note settings I cannot find an "app" tab or option.
    However there is an Application Manager in the "general" tab of "settings"
    By default it shows the downloaded apps, and it took me a while to understand the "swipe" thing (I'm new to both android o.s. and samsung products)
    Anyway, I was able to open the settings for s note (settings>general>application manager, swipe to all), and to clear the cache as you suggest.
    Unfortunately, this did not change the behavior I have described above.
    My last s-note file still has a black last page, and when I try to open it, s-note crashes ("unfortunately s note has stopped").
    Once again, I seem to be able to open and edit the previously created s-note files.
    I do not understand what is happening. I did nothing fancy in my last notebook. Just jotted down some notes with the s pen.
    I hope I can recover my last notes. Is there a way to "extract" a subset of pages from a s-note document?

Thanks again for your help.
    F
    As for recovering the file, maybe Kies can help. It is a Samsung program that is similar to iTunes, found on Samsung's website. However, once extracted, I don't know if it can be converted for another app.

Try the above poster's suggestion, or I like Keep from Google. I doubt it is compatible with the SPen, but it is a nice note taking app.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

bclinger,

thanks a lot for your suggestion!
    I heard of lecture notes. I think I'll follow your advice and give it a try.
    I'd like to recover my lost notes though.
    By the way, who is in charge for s note? Is that a built-in feature of android? Is it a third party app?

Global Posts
    25,264 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

bclinger,

thanks a lot for your suggestion!
    I heard of lecture notes. I think I'll follow your advice and give it a try.
    I'd like to recover my lost notes though.
    By the way, who is in charge for s note? Is that a built-in feature of android? Is it a third party app?
    Its a Samsung app. Installed and hooked into the ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

A note, I gave up rather quickly with Snores. Lost 2 files and in search of a different solution. The learning curve is there, the results worth it.

Sent via my Note 8
    EVO & an Acer A500 tablet.

Try this. It worked for me.
    1. Settings menu
    2. Application manager
    3. Slide over to "all"
    4. Scroll down to "S Note"
    5. At top of screen, press "disable".

Hope that works for you.