Galaxy Note 10.1: 4.4.2 KitKat Update

greenxyz

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
After my experience with the lack of update with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 i decided to no longer support Samsung. I think that was the best decision i made. It allowed me to adventure off into Motorola, as well as purchasing the moto x. Still loving this moto x and will be getting the 5.0 update

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Can I update my note 10.1 GT-N8010 by installing kies? Will that then update it to something later than 4.1.2 if I connect it to kies on my laptop via usb? At the moment it's running 4.1.2 and it says "latest updates installed" ! Thanks.
if there is no update for your device, kies doesnt find them either. check e.g. sammobile.com / firmware to see if there is an update. you can also try an update from another country/region, if it matches your device. i used the german fw to update my nordic device. it can be done with odin (it is a software made for updating samsung devices). basicly it is just a one click procedure when you have a right firmware downloaded...

Sent from Note 10.1

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Its fairly simple to root and flash 4.4.2/4 onto the 2012 note (just google it) I admit my note never ran faster and that's with google now launcher also as the home. The fact I have to scroll in the "Samsung Android Tablets" subforum pretty much sums up the problem, but at least there's some solutions out there.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jeannestar101

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
This tablet is completely capable of an upgrade yet it is purposefully being withheld with the intent of selling tablets. I believe upgrades are being withheld on purpose. Do you have to buy a new pc every year!!!!. This unfair business practice should come to the attention of the FTC. Oh, I can't believe that when I went on Youtube through my N8013 tablet to try to view the new movie "The Interview" I got a notice saying this tablet needs upgrading. I was in shock!. Nothing that I ever tried to open on youtube said that. Also, there is no consolation in Apple either because they do the exact same thing - withhold features in the interest of selling more devices.

Last edited:

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It's called "being in business to make money". As you've noticed, it's quite different than "giving things away for free to those who feel entitled".

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This tablet is completely capable of an upgrade yet it is purposefully being withheld with the intent of selling tablets. I believe upgrades are being withheld on purpose. Do you have to buy a new pc every year!!!!. This unfair business practice should come to the attention of the FTC. Oh, I can't believe that when I went on Youtube through my N8013 tablet to try to view the new movie "The Interview" I got a notice saying this tablet needs upgrading. I was in shock!. Nothing that I ever tried to open on youtube said that. Also, there is no consolation in Apple either because they do the exact same thing - withhold features in the interest of selling more devices.

Why do you need an update? What is it that the tablet cannot do that it could do if it had an update? ...and is that thing worth developers time (salary)? At the end of the day it's all about the $$. Everything else is just a means to the $$ or a waste of it.

from the IV

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Why do you need an update? What is it that the tablet cannot do that it could do if it had an update? ...and is that thing worth developers time (salary)? At the end of the day it's all about the $$. Everything else is just a means to the $$ or a waste of it.

from the IV

Well the fact is that they have still been selling these devices here where I live this year. I frequented some stores to check, and they were still asking full retail for an outdated software. If these Corporations are going to continue to sell products for a two year cycle then they at least owe it to their customers to keep the OS current for that period. I have learnt my lesson with this practice and do not intend to continue to support Android hardware manufacturers with further purchases.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well the fact is that they have still been selling these devices here where I live this year. I frequented some stores to check, and they were still asking full retail for an outdated software. If these Corporations are going to continue to sell products for a two year cycle then they at least owe it to their customers to keep the OS current for that period. I have learnt my lesson with this practice and do not intend to continue to support Android hardware manufacturers with further purchases.
I somewhat disagree. I am of the belief that you pay for a working device with a working OS and that the OEM is not responsible for providing free OS updates for several years. If they do, that's great but I don't think they are obligated to.

Different perspectives.

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

Last edited:

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
True.. But as everyone knows android is developing fast. Also peripheals... E.g. Smart accessories and most of those apps need new api level to work. I wasnt able to use some smartwatch apps because there wasnt any newer os than 4.1. Until now i installed german version of kitkat (my own region version is still missing! While german version was released 7months ago). And e.g. Samsung own gear didnt work if you didnt have android 4.3.

How about security issues then? If not an os upgrades, why not even security updates?

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Ive updated my gt8013 to kitkat 4.4,2 via the gnabo rom availabke on xda. It works great and is currrently on version 8. So, that is one option.

It is a bit disapointing that samsung hasn't provided an update for this model of the 2012 note 10.1. They've updated virtually every other variant as far as i know.

Re: free software updates. You would never expect that from a windows pc. You want an update, you pay big bucks for it. Maybe that would be a better model for android. Ive never understood why android is so specific to devices. Why cant it just be plug and play like window. Download the maintain software and the needed drivers for your specific hardware.

Sent from my SM-T320

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I somewhat disagree. I am of the belief that you pay for a working device with a working OS and that the OEM is not responsible for providing free OS updates for several years. If they do, that's great but I don't think they are obligated to.

Different perspectives.

Sent from my LG G-PaD📱

So you believe it is okay to continue to sell an Android product for full retail with a 2 year old operating system? My N8020 was released in Australia with 4.1.2 and has received not one update, this is not acceptable to me when Samsung have released a 4.4.4 update to the same model in Asia. We pay way over for tablets down here and as such I expect more from OEM'S.

This is my second Android flagship device that has been stranded on it's original software and for this reason I will not support them further. If other people find this practice acceptable then that is their decision.

Don't forget JB 4.1.2 was released October 2012, and the N8020 was released here December/January 2013 with 4.1.2. This device has never been updated, so talking of updates is pointless, there are no updates.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So you believe it is okay to continue to sell an Android product for full retail with a 2 year old operating system? My N8020 was released in Australia with 4.1.2 and has received not one update, this is not acceptable to me when Samsung have released a 4.4.4 update to the same model in Asia. We pay way over for tablets down here and as such I expect more from OEM'S.

This is my second Android flagship device that has been stranded on it's original software and for this reason I will not support them further. If other people find this practice acceptable then that is their decision.

Don't forget JB 4.1.2 was released October 2012, and the N8020 was released here December/January 2013 with 4.1.2. This device has never been updated, so talking of updates is pointless, there are no updates.

Yes I do think it is okay to sell a device with a 2 yr old OS for full retail because no one is making anyone buy that device. People buy PC's with Windows 7 on them all the time. ...and by choice (not just by ignorance). Both my phones came with Kit Kat and they work well with it. I don't believe Samsung or Motorola owe me years worth of FREE OS upgrades.

The differences in our opinions is that it appears that you feel FREE OS upgrades are included in the price you've paid for the device. I do not feel that way.

Unless the phones are sold stating "2+ years of FREE OS upgrades included!" Or "Includes FREE OS upgrades until Peanut Brittle" ...why would I think I'm entitled to free upgrades?

from the IV

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I do think it is okay to sell a device with a 2 yr old OS for full retail because no one is making anyone buy that device. People buy PC's with Windows 7 on them all the time. ...and by choice (not just by ignorance). Both my phones came with Kit Kat and they work well with it. I don't believe Samsung or Motorola owe me years worth of FREE OS upgrades.

The differences in our opinions is that it appears that you feel FREE OS upgrades are included in the price you've paid for the device. I do not feel that way.

Unless the phones are sold stating "2+ years of FREE OS upgrades included!" Or "Includes FREE OS upgrades until Peanut Brittle" ...why would I think I'm entitled to free upgrades?

from the IV

I do not expect updates for 2yrs but I do expect at least one. The practice of releasing flagship tablets with an outdated OS and then updating to the current one in the guise of an update is unacceptable. We are talking Android and most people expect at least 1 update, if Samsung do not intend to support their tablets then I suggest they they change their settings menu.

Screenshots_2014-12-30-11-56-29.png

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Anybody that would pay full retail for any brand 2012 model tablet has not done their homework. Tablet specs have gone up dramatically and prices have dropped. Frys electronics in California has the gt n8013 for full retail last I looked as well. Ive hadmany different tablets. Dell, Le Pan, Samsung, HP Touchpad. Notto ention smart phones from htc. I'd say the chance of an update is about 50 50 on any of them.

Sent from my SM-T320

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe it is a requirement from Google that devices get at least one update, if available, in the first 18 months of release. Samsung ran out the clock on this one. I guess that is Samsungs reputation, great hardware but slow or spotty updates.
I've had:
Le Pan tc970 android 2.2 never updated
Le Pan ll android 3.2 updated to 4.04
Le Pan S android 4.04 updated to 4.1.2
Le Pan mini 4.2.2 not updated yet. About 16 months old
HPTouchpad web os never updated
Dell Venue 8 android 4.3 updated to 4.4.2
Htc one x phone 4.1.2 never updated
Samsung galaxy note 10.1 gtn8013 4.1.2 never updated.
Galaxy tab pro 8.4 anddroid 4.4.2 no update yet (iffy)
Galaxy s5 phone 4.4.2 no update yet. (Probably gonna happen)

Sent from my SM-T320

oz123

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I do not work for an OEM but I'd be curious to know how they feel about our two opinions.

from the IV

I put the onus on Google to sort this out, they need to stabilise their OS release dates. At the moment they seem to have adopted the practice of releasing new Android versions at the same time OEM's are releasing their new tablets. This does not give device makers enough time to incorporate the new version of Android on their devices, so in effect what you actually get is not a software update but an upgrading to the OS that should have originally been installed if OEM's had the time. New versions of Android should be released in off peak times to give device makers the opportunity to incorporate it into their latest releases.

Last edited:

Aldomin

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I put the onus on Google to sort this out, they need to stabilise their OS release dates. At the moment they seem to have adopted the practice of releasing new Android versions at the same time OEM's are releasing their new tablets. This does not give device makers enough time to incorporate the new version of Android on their devices, so in effect what you actually get is not a software update but an upgrading to the OS that should have originally been installed if OEM's had the time. New versions of Android should be released in off peak times to give device makers the opportunity to incorporate it into their latest releases.
The problem I have with Samsung is that they announced that this device will receive an upgrade to KitKat. That was March 2014. If all the apps are not updating I will not bother to wait for this upgrade. I have to backtrack on several apps for it to work including Google+ because the update do not support 4.1.2 I cannot even stream movies from some several paid sites telling me to upgrade my device. If they are not planning to update this OS they should at least fix the compatibility issues. Even Windows did that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos