Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By JoyMarieGos
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need to learn about pdf downloading from websites -Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

Hi there!

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me understand what could be going wrong here, and if there were a way to fix it, I'd be grateful for your insights. I'll describe the issue first, then specs below, if that's helpful.

So...

Can't download pdf's. For instance, say, the pdf on my local ymca's website that should, and used to, when clicked, show a box at the bottom of the page that says "starting download..." and an arrow pointing downward would appear in the top info bar. Now, while I can still download apps, attachments from emails, etc., I can't get the darn updated pool schedule for lap swim... and I'm a bit cranky about that. Anywho, when clicked, it will show the box ("strtng dwnld"), then it starts to open a new tab in the browser (either chrome or explorer) which immediately closes. And that's it. Hitting the menu button to view downloads shows a "no downloads" message.

(Please note that I am not that tech savvy-- I'm computer literate and am great at following instructions though! )

I have a Samsung galaxy note, it's a tablet with the S pen. When I enter the unit's model number, I can't find any more than one post on this site. I also don't see the 8.0 listed under the samsung android tablets heading here either. I've got to be getting something wrong, and I thank you in advance for your patience with me being a newbie to this stuff.

GT-N5110NKYXAR is what I found as a unit model. It's the black/brown one (haha not that it helps inform you, but because I hope someone goes, "oh! THAT one!"

Any insights are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time! And any follow up questions will be responded to asap.

Thank you! Joy

Default Re: Need to learn about pdf downloading from websites -Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

Welcome to Android Central! Does it only happen with that particular PDF, or with any PDF that you try to download on Chrome or the Samsung browser?

Default Re: Need to learn about pdf downloading from websites -Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0

In addition to B. Diddy's question, if you've installed the Adobe Reader app, uninstall it and see if that fixes the problem — or, conversely, install it and see what happens. It looks like this issue is similar, you might try following some of the advice in that thread.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Global Posts
    23,806 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Even a different PDF viewer might help. Kingsoft office is free on Play and can view many different formats.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    B. Diddy likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Oh crud, I'm blushing blue right now. Thank you for your responses. Diddy, Patrick, Golfdriver-- I realized that while I couldn't do this in either browser while at Dunkin or other hotspots, I hadn't tried here at home! Chrome did it! But thanks anyhow. I'm still glad I found this community, you guys modeled the positivity, helpfulness, and swift responses I saw in the other threads I had viewed. Hope you're not too frustrated.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Not at all, glad it worked! I'm a bit puzzled as to why it wouldn't download at Dunkin Donuts though (excuse me for a second--mmmmm, donuts ...), while it worked at home.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    23,806 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Not at all, glad it worked! I'm a bit puzzled as to why it wouldn't download at Dunkin Donuts though (excuse me for a second--mmmmm, donuts ...), while it worked at home.
    If I had to guess, some kind of security protocol. Either that or whoever set up the router was dumb...lol

Quote Originally Posted by JoyMarieGos View Post
    Oh crud, I'm blushing blue right now. Thank you for your responses. Diddy, Patrick, Golfdriver-- I realized that while I couldn't do this in either browser while at Dunkin or other hotspots, I hadn't tried here at home! Chrome did it! But thanks anyhow. I'm still glad I found this community, you guys modeled the positivity, helpfulness, and swift responses I saw in the other threads I had viewed. Hope you're not too frustrated.
    That is what we are here for. Just remember 2 things: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, and ignore anyone who is brash or offers no helpful suggestions.

Phone Timeline
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    B. Diddy likes this.