Is this still a good buy?

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
A bit late to ask if it's a good buy on Verizon. It suppose to be quad core with lte. Figured maybe I jumped the gun and should have gone with the 2014. $380 off contract. Love my note 3 and figured the 10.1 would be plenty fast for scribbling on photos and tech manuals. Any real downside besides it's still on jellybean?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's still a great device, but you probably would have enjoyed the 2014 experience much better (or the newer Tab S, although I don't think there are any mobile-enabled ones yet). The 10.1 2014 ties up much better to the Note 3 on account of having almost the same software versions. You'll notice this especially on S-Note, where you can take notes on the tablet, but when you edit them on the Note 3, they will become incompatible with the previous model.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the OG Note 10.1, then bought a refurb 2014 version, and it is definitely a better device in every way. You should be able to find a used 2014 version for about the same price as the one at Verizon. They are great for note-taking, I use mine for grad school and at work meetings.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll sell you mine hehehe Just got a Tab S. Still on the fence on whether I keep it or not. I know I miss the S-Pen, but ooooh the SAMOLED screen is oooooooooooo gorgeous!

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well maybe it will get kitkat. Need data though. It can't be that slow of a tablet though can it? Heck might root it and load kitkat myself. I recall the radio firmware can be stripped from jellybean and installed on kitkat like had to be done on the xoom to get the latest OS. If kitkat is already on the European version then there is a way to load the U.S. radio for Verizon. Just gotta find my notes on how to do it. It's been a few years since I did it.