Have I killed my Tablet or is there hope?

RoDeLoPo

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Dumbest way to brick a tablet

Hi everyone. So, today I've accomplished an incredible feat. I've bricked (well, it's stuck at boot logo actually) my tablet in what I think may be one of the weirdest and most stupid ways possible. Basically, my Note 10.1 was having a hard time connecting to my PC, and the problem was in the connection jack. So I had the wonderful idea of trying to fiddle with it to try to fix it. I grabbed some tweezers (they were the closest tiny thing I could find), and trying nudging around the connector. Before I knew it, my tablet was bricked. Of course, the tweezers are metal, and I probably shorted some pins. I know, I feel really stupid. Anyway, after that, my tablet displayed the image of a battery with a symbol similar to a clock at the center. I turned it off, and not it never gets past the logo. I've tried rebooting many times and even tried restoring the firmware back to stock through Odin. Nothing. I can only assume it's a hardware issue. I'm taking the tablet to repair, but I would first like to know if any of you have an idea of what I might possibly have fried. Do you guys think it is repairable? Thank you very much!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Dumbest way to brick a tablet

Welcome to Android Central! Offhand, I'd guess that maybe you had a static charge that built up and zapped some circuits via the tweezers. Did you ground yourself before fiddling with the tweezers?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If some of the circuits got fried, then it might not be easily repairable. Maybe it's just the port, but it could also be the motherboard that needs to be replaced.

RoDeLoPo

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site

Can Samsung replace the motherboard at all or would I need to buy a new tablet?

EDIT: Ok, something changed. I left my tablet on overnight so that it could drain the battery. After I woke up, the tablet was off. I tried turning in on and weirdly enough it took me to CWM (I had installed it, but wasn't being able to get to it). A screen showed up saying "Install untrusted package? This cannot be undone". I didn't know what it was, so I chose the option "Back to menu". Then, I followed a tutorial and selected the following options:

"Wipe cache partition", in the Main Menu
"Wipe data / Factory reset", in the Main Menu
"Wipe dalvik-cache", in the Advanced Menu
"Format /cache", in the Mounts & Storage Menu
"Format /data", in the Mounts & Storage Menu

Now, the tablet gets past the Samsung logo. It then starts looping the Samsung animation. It also sometimes stays with a black screen for a few seconds. Is this any good news? I'm now also able to get to CWM through the button combination.

Last edited: