Thoughts after 4.4.2 update?

tshirttan408

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Brand new to my tab 10.1 (2012) and loving it so far. I updated to 4.4.2 a day after getting it so was hoping people who have experienced running on both could let me know their thoughts on the differences?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Only one thought - eh! It's like the difference between the beach and the dry sand next to the ocean. Other than going from a straight FAT32 "wild west" SD card to a Linux-permissions card, it hardly seems worth the effort to have written it.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
well im happy with it.. some issues.. it is for phones, and samsung didnt even bother to make it better for a tablet. navigation buttons are in a wrong place, now you accidentally hit them when making notes...

atleast im now able to use it better (got some apps work).

tshirttan408

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I did it through Kies. Downloaded the software and hooked my tablet up to the computer. Then through Kies searched for software updates and it downloaded directly onto my device!

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
GT-N8013 Stuck on 4.1.2 also. This thing is going to be a paper weight next year probably. Thanks Samsung for suckering us out of $100's of dollars and then not ever supporting your product.
I hope they have a better run with their phones.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just tried through Kies, our device isn't even supported to to the Kies requirement of 4.3 or higher.
It must have been a different device the the US WiFi model GT-N8013 Galaxy Note 10.1

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
dont know about 8013, mine is 8000 and i used the fw from another region and Odin to update my device.

edit. there seems to be no updates for 8013 model... i read that some people have used n8010 fw to update their n8013, but someone said that he lost wifi after the update. (n8010 seems to be the same model as n8013)

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the N8013 and just updated by rooting and putting on the Gnabo ROM, ROM's are a totally new experience for me. I like it, love having some of the new features. I just got done setting up my tablet last night and will play with it more tonight. I haven't had any of the WiFi issues with the ROM yet, but I did try to load the WiFI Fix for the ROM Anyways and it gets hung up in CWM recovery. Other than that, the only thing I noticed, which is suppose to be a problem other people are having with the ROM, is when I turn off and charge it at night and wake up in the morning, It's turned on again. Not a big deal, since it's fully Charged. Also having Air Command and 4 window capability is nice, only wish there was a setting to set Air Command to open when the Pen gets pulled out like my Note 4. Have to just hit the S-Pen button to activate it. I'm really happy with it so far.

Jay Gore

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering for those that have the gnabo rom when you flash it do you loose all your photos and apps that you have downloaded. I have never tried this before but I do have computer experience and I am studying this over and over before I do it.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
The install instructions recommend a factory reset. Back up your data and pictures, take screen shots of your home page and apps pages. Expect to have to start clean. Apps can be downloaded again. Long as you use the same Gmail account you'll be able to get them.
A bit of work but worth it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

filbert42

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
"GT-N8013 Stuck on 4.1.2 also. This thing is going to be a paper weight next year probably. Thanks Samsung for suckering us out of $100's of dollars and then not ever supporting your product.
I hope they have a better run with their phones. "

IMHO, you're lucky that you are stuck on 4.1.2. Somehow (fat finger trouble, I expect) I managed to let my N8000 update itself to 4.4.2 with an OTA update. I *hate* it and I can't wait to work out how to downgrade again.
There a lot of things I don't like but could be personal taste - such as the status icons are all on the top row and too easy to touch instead of the buttons on an app. The fonts are ugly (to me). In other areas, I just don't like the appearance. (and the screenshot button is gone..)

All that, I could probably learn to live with but the major issues are that it is just so much slower. Dolphin is pretty much unusable - it's like it's stuck in treacle. Other apps take ages to respond

I was expecting not to be able to write to the SD card but I can't even read it. Solid Explorer says no files on it. Hide It Pro also can't see the files it is storing.

All in all, it's definitely a painful experience and a move to a custom ROM for me

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC