Hi, long time no see here, question about app updates....

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everyone, It's been a long while. Still rocking my 2012 Galaxy Note 10.1 almost every night for well over two years now. I'm still loving the tablet. A little p.o.'d about never getting anymore updates like everyone else, but honestly, looking at what's out there, not much better than the one I'm using now. I've checked the 2014 Note 10.1 and the 12" Note Pro ( a little too big for me, but only one that seemed okay to me) neither of which I liked as much as my original 10.1. I hate not being able to cascade and open more than side by side, except for the Note 12.2 which can do 4 at once. I'm considering waiting for the 2015 if there is one, hopefully. I can't give up on Samsung, because hate the Surface and no apps for it really, I have a Wacom tablet, but not the same. IPads, just bought my 3rd a few months ago and I'm sorry, but they suck for drawing. I returned it not even a week later. I even paid $60 for a special stylus that was not as bulky as the rubber tipped ones and it had an offset and lag. IPads will never measure up to the Notes for Drawing. Nothing compares to the S Pen for drawing. JMO.

Anyways, a couple questions which I hope aren't the beginning of the end for my tablet.

1. I was updating some apps the other day and I have a lot on my 32gb Note 10.1. A lot were coming back as errors with the updates. Only certain ones went through. Now I just did some reading on the posts about still waiting on Kit Kat and I take it this means our Notes are too old to take the updates? The OS isn't updated enough? That sucks, is all I have to say about that one.

2. I use to get quite a long duration of the battery. I use to get about 8 hours of straight use out of it. It seems lately, I'm only getting about 7 hours or so. It's still a long time, just surprised how fast it's going now. Hearing the Notification sound that the battery is low so fast now, is really making me wonder if it's going to last much longer. Are other people noticing theirs not lasting as long?

Now it's not going by the Battery chart or settings graph, just from my long time use of it. It seems to run out faster. Also, it's not on the whole time. I do take breaks from it where it's asleep and the screen not on. I'm really hoping it lasts awhile longer, because as I said, nothing out there really excites me yet. I'm hoping something new this year from Samsung.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. I was updating some apps the other day and I have a lot on my 32gb Note 10.1. A lot were coming back as errors with the updates. Only certain ones went through. Now I just did some reading on the posts about still waiting on Kit Kat and I take it this means our Notes are too old to take the updates? The OS isn't updated enough? That sucks, is all I have to say about that one.
Flagship devices are supported for 2 years, others for less time.

2. I use to get quite a long duration of the battery. I use to get about 8 hours of straight use out of it. It seems lately, I'm only getting about 7 hours or so. It's still a long time, just surprised how fast it's going now. Hearing the Notification sound that the battery is low so fast now, is really making me wonder if it's going to last much longer. Are other people noticing theirs not lasting as long?
Twwo years on a battery, when you were most likely using it until it told you to charge it (10% charge or so left)? That's better than good.

Now it's not going by the Battery chart or settings graph, just from my long time use of it. It seems to run out faster
First sign of a battery that's just getting old, not damaged in any way - less capacity. If you want the next one to be the last one, condition it when it's new,. then never let it get below 40% charge. Read Is My Battery Shot?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Rukbat, Thanks for the replies. I know about conditioning and did it when I got this tablet. Now though, I usually charge it every night I use it. I don't always let it run down to the Notification to charge or 15%, but it does happen at times. My phones I charge by habit every night, even if they are down to only 75 or 80%. I thought I heard with the newer batteries that you don't have to condition them. Doesn't matter, though, I Know I'm still getting great life out of the Battery. Thanks for the info though and answering my question, so I guess it's just age.

As far as the updates, I know I can root and try an update from Sammobile or some place, never did a Rom, but did try the German Version of 4.1.2 before we got it in the states. It's upsetting we don't get another one, but not a deal breaker for me at all. I wouldn't want to lose certain features just to have an update. I guess it's just wait and see what the next Samung Note Tablet is. I'm hoping another 10.1, that's the sweet spot as far as size for me. I like the Note Pro 12", but not enough for an upgrade from my Original Note 10.1 yet.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Flagship devices are supported for 2 years, others for less time.

Only google has a policy to support 18 months their devices. Note 10.1 is a good example why to stay away from samsung.

i have updated my note to kitkat using a fw from another region. and it is working much better than with jb. anyway, it is my last samsung for sure.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
enigmax, can I ask you what you would buy if not for a Samsung? I see in your signature you have an Ipad Air 2, which I'm sure is nice, but what did you use your Note 10.1 for if I may ask? If just as a tablet or for taking notes, I agree that IPads do the Job. I've had 3 different IPads (Ipad 2, 3, and the Ipad 4 I picked up dirt cheap. Still didn't like it.) and not Impossible to draw on them, just nowhere near the ease of using the S Pen. I use my 10.1 for mostly Drawing. It's my way of relaxing at night and I like to draw. The S Pen is far better for that alone just in my opinion, because drawing with a regular stylus leaves little to be desired. It's close with the Surface, but the lack of Apps, is pathetic compared to Apple and Android.

I guess it's what everyone's personal needs are that decide what tablet they get. If I get bored with it and can't update certain things I want, I'm not opposed to putting another region's firmware update on, that's fine, just don't need it right now.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It's upsetting we don't get another one, but not a deal breaker for me at all. I wouldn't want to lose certain features just to have an update. I guess it's just wait and see what the next Samung Note Tablet is.

You're going to loose a lot of features/apps if you don't upgrade to 4.4.2+ using a non-OEM update. Almost all the google apps won't work now unless you keep the old versions or sideload an older apk. You'll also have all the security vulnerabilities patched upstream. If you don't use your tablet for much other than note taking then you should be OK. In all seriousness though from someone who used to be a fan of the Note series, I've given up on the "features" as losing the ability to update even simple apps has soured my Samsung experience and I'll never buy another. Its of course a personal opinion, but cest la vie.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I do agree that losing a lot of stuff by not being able to update, but I can get another region's update to 4.4.2. There's usually a workaround on XDA for something if you look hard enough. I have rooted my 10.1 and tried other firmware, so it's not something that's restricting me. I have to make sure I'm able to use my Note the way I like. Like I said, I can't do the Ipad, it's not something I like for Drawing, not impossible, I've done it before, but not as nice as the S Pen. Forget the Surface not an option, so limited in the software, it's not funny.

I agree Samsung is getting greedy and I just enjoy the Note's features too much to look elsewhere. I talked to the Samsung guy at a local Best Buy, granted it's a Best Buy employee, so don't take it as gospel. LOL. They usually are clueless. He said that he heard that not only is a 2015 Note 10.1 coming out sometime later this year (which is what I read as rumors online also), but he said they are trying to make a S Tab with a stylus, like the Note series of tablets. Which to me doesn't make sense at all, because that would be a conflict with the Note series of tablets. Why would they do that, because as I understand the S Tab is just a glorified Galaxy Tab with a great screen and higher specs. Isn't that what the Note Series is, a Galaxy Tab with a Stylus (the S Pen), and Higher Specs? I don't know, but that didn't make sense to me.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
enigmax, can I ask you what you would buy if not for a Samsung?

if i get another android tablet, something else than samsung... and im probably getting a tablet with a pen later on this year and it would be surface pro 4(?) when it is released with the broadwell design, i quess... so maybe later on this year...

I see in your signature you have an Ipad Air 2, which I'm sure is nice, but what did you use your Note 10.1 for if I may ask?

it was my phone (the phone model of note10.1) for two years until i bought OPO on last september and a tablet because i needed a pen. since september it has been just a tablet with a pen and using it as for taking notes and sketching...

If just as a tablet or for taking notes, I agree that IPads do the Job. I've had 3 different IPads (Ipad 2, 3, and the Ipad 4 I picked up dirt cheap. Still didn't like it.) and not Impossible to draw on them, just nowhere near the ease of using the S Pen.

yeah, it is a joke trying to use a pen with ipad. and now with air2 it is impossible until someone fixes something. you may take notes, but drawing and even notetaking with ipad and a stylus is between a joke and ridiculous... why have i ipad then? just satisfying my tech desire. air2 is a joke, nice tablet for dumbs for sure... this is way too basic, lack of functionalities, too buggy... it is like android 4 years ago...

i guess it's what everyone's personal needs are that decide what tablet they get. If I get bored with it and can't update certain things I want, I'm not opposed to putting another region's firmware update on, that's fine, just don't need it right now.

im tired of waiting updates from samsung.. note10 came with android 4.0 on september 2012, got android 4.1 . on january 2013 and then nothing..Nothing! no 4.2, 4.3, 4.4... even now there are no updates if i hadnt updated it with german firmware released already on may 2014. no samtoys for me, there are better fishes in the water to catch...

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, just so you know I wasn't trying to start anything, I was just curious as to what else you would get. I've looked at the Surface Pro 3 and it's 2nd behind the Note in my opinion. That's by comparing the Stylii to each other. At least that has a pen like feel, unlike the regular Stylus you use with an Ipad or other Android Tablets. I've been looking online for awhile now and nothing comes close to the Note series as far as the digitizer with the Stylus like the S-Pen. My problem with the surface is that it's a Computer too, not a tablet. Windows 8 is not very intuitive and not liked by many I've heard, including me. So that's a big drawback. Plus the price is twice as much as the Galaxy Note. So hopefully they come out with a new Note 10.1 later this year, if the rumors on line are true, just hope my 10.1 doesn't die before then. LOL. I've even looked at overseas at Chinese made tablets and nothing gets a good review like the Notes. So really I'm stuck with Samsung for now. Even the Sony Vaio and other pc/tablet hybrids don't interest me, because just like the Note Pro 12.2, too big and may be too heavy to hold for long periods in time.
Good luck with whatever your next tablet or tablet hybrid is. As much as I like my wacom desktop tablet and the software, it's not the same as drawing with a tablet in your hand. So it doesn't get as much use.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
They finally released kitkat for my Note (which i dont need, been running german version already) a year later than in Germany and not to mention that lollipop has been out already over 6 months... Too late sammyboy, way too late... And the release is based on phone os, not tablet ui.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle