Made the jump to 4.4.2 on my Note 10.1, wheeeeew, was nervous!

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well after doing some reading in the past week or so, I finally decided to try a ROM for the first time and have only been rooted a couple times with it to flash some firmware to JellyBean for the german version, before it came to the U.S. So not totally inexperienced, but ROMs kind of made me nervous. Anyways after spending 9 hours last night, trying to get it set up(yeah, when I get caught up in something, don't know when to quit!lol), I finally got it working. I did root fine and then had major problems trying to get CWM Recovery onto it. It's all new to me. I was going between directions on three websites, and this youtube video, this was the problem. It said to do something that I didn't need to do and finally figured it out after a few hours. After that everything went smoothly, I didn't manage to take the phone stuff off, but I think I know what the problem was with that.

So Far, it does everything I was afraid to lose with the Update and basically, I have what feels like a cross between a new Note Pro 12.2 and the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014). Most of the features I liked that came with those. I'm using Gnabo Rom and I haven't had too much time to play with it, but seems to be okay so far. I'm loving the feel of the new features on it. So I guess I'm just afraid of change. I was afraid to lose the Cascade feature, which I don't have now, but the big thing is I can move a window around the screen and not be stuck with the side by side, like on Note 8. Don't need a floating browser for that. So I'll report back if I find any problems, but very happy I decided to update, at least for the ability to keep my apps updated. Not too many apps stock on the ROM, so not a lot of Bloat which is nice and I can add what I need from the Google Play store. Thanks to the people who mentioned in my earlier thread to just go ahead and update, it got to the point, not that I was bored with the Tablet, but having those newer features was worth doing it. :)

CBonney

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I did mine for the first time last night. I don't know if it's done correctly, I just know that it's done and the wifi works. I have the new features. I'm concerned because I read and watched videos and they contradicted each other at certain points. But, it's done and I don't have any complaints.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. That's what took me so long. I couldn't get mine to flash through Odin after getting past the Root which was the easy part. When I looked at the different Youtube videos and websites, turns out I was going by the video some lady put on Youtube and got hung up, because she kept saying to make sure this was checked and after a process of elimination, just left something unchecked and it finally passed when flashing the ROM. Frustrating, but got it done. Sorry, I can't remember which step it was otherwise I'd pass it on.

The only problem I'm having is my tablet turns on during charging at night, but other than that, everything works fine. I do wish there was a way to add a different browser to the S Pen air command window. The part where you draw a window any size and can open one of the apps it pulls up. With the Stock Browser the window is distorted when you change the shape, so the browser doesn't stay proportioned right. I was hoping that adding a different browser or changing the default one would fix this, but not seeing the ability to do this. Kind of sucks, because I use that window feature to draw from images on the internet when drawing on Art with Friends. Not a deal breaker, but loving everything else so far.

scott15851

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking at various videos and stuff.. Everything I read or watch doesn't seem to be complete. Anyone have a good set of directions?

Posted via the Android Central App