Galaxy Note 10.1 doesn't start. Sound familiar? :)

UncleNiceGuy

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm nowhere close to an electronics expert but.....

Niece's Galaxy Note 10.1 GT8010 doesn't start up any more, and she gave it to me to see if I could figure it out. She basically just wants it to run long enough to get her pictures + stuff out of the built-in SSD drive.

She said she already took it to one of those "we can fix it" kiosks, and they said the battery was okay, but the connector was "fried". They might have tried to fix that, as I can see a tiny blob of solder on two of the connector wires; the outer red + blacks in the 5-wire group. Other than that it looks fine.

With the battery unplugged, I get continuity between the two blacks, between the two reds, and between either black and the center blue.

Voltages:
Based on the many "won't charge" threads, I charged the battery with it removed, using jumpers and a low-amp universal charger, monitoringthe voltage for the tell-tale "feedback" rise that says "I'm full").It started at 3.78 off-charger, and ended at 4.15 with a nice long "saturation" phase. PS: the battery has "3.7v" AND "4.2v" printed among the Chinese lettering. Nominal and max charge?

Either red to either black: 4.15v
Either red to blue: 4.15v
Either black to blue: 0v

The confusing part:
Plugged into the motherboard, all 4.15's drop to 0.685

I was thinking either:

1 - Battery has no capacity, and any load sucks it down.
However, it easily powered a few small car light bulbs without dropping much, and still read 4.15 once the bulbs were removed.

2 - Dead short in the Motherboard killing the battery.
It arrived here at 3.78v, after being stored in its box for a few weeks. A short should have killed it completely.

3 - Blue wire gets feedback from the motherboard, to mostly "turn off" the battery feed once plugged in, *unless* the system wants power, then it allows full flow?

4 - Power button may be broken, not telling the system to turn on.
I need to find a pinout to see which teensy-weensy-itty-bitty terminals to short to simulate the button. I'd need to pull it all apart (again) to get the power/volume buttons out.

5 - The motherboard is infected with nanites that escaped from the Enterprise (Evolution: Star Trek TNG) and are feeding on the energy so they can replicate and take over the universe.

6 - ..... nope, I got nothing. Any other suggestions?

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
i quess it is number 5, but they came from Pegasus galaxy and going to destroy ancients and earth before wraiths find the way to travel to earth...

i quess xda forum might be a more suitable forum to ask complex questions like this.