Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: [AT&T][GALAXY NOTE 2] ***How To Root***

I can no longer stream music to my car stereo via BT. I could connect to BT and use phone calls, but when I tried to play music via BT, it scanned and couldn't find any device.

I am rooted and running cleanROM 3.3.

Anyone having this problem?

I was never able to stream Blueooth audio even before root and flash. But then my Blueooth in my car never really played nicely with my iPhone either. Can't even voice dial, but can answer calls just fine.

OK Guys,
    I found these videos on youtube and think this is the best way to see and learn how to Root and install TWRP custom recovery and CleanROM 3.3.
    I'm a very visual learner and hope this helps anyone who are the same!

Step 1:
    How to Root - Fast & Simple!

Step 2:
    Install Custom Recovery TWRP 2.3 How to - It's Easy & FREE!

Step 3:
    Installing CleanROM 3.3 Part 1 - Must Watch..then Enjoy!

Part 2 Installing ROM and ENJOY!!

Hope this helps beginners and visual learners like ME!!
    Last edited by UsedName; 01-06-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Megan Arlitz likes this.

I thought I'd share my experiences for anyone who's on the fence about rooting their phone. I'll try to keep it short.

1. I have an AT&T Galaxy Note 2.
    2. I came from several years with an iPhone and have experience "jailbreaking" my phone. However, I'm not a computer expert, so I can only follow the directions provided by others as I lack the skill set to create programs/mod's on my own.
    3. Following the directions in this post and using a Mac I successfully rooted my Note 2 and applied the latest version of CleanRom with no problems whatsoever.
    4. If you're hesitant like I was: a) Read the directions in this and accompanying posts very carefully and follow them to the letter. b) Watch the linked instructional videos fully before you take any action on your phone (most are under 10mins). c) Take your guidance (and mods) from established sites and users. d) Read through the comments to posts like this one to see if there are any problems people with your particular phone model have experienced. d) Go for it and enjoy your rooted phone.
    5. The specific thing I wanted with a rooted phone was to move my large game files to my external SD card. Using a program I got on the Play Store called "GL to SD" I have been able to do so.

Many, many thanks to the OP for the clear directions and links.

Just for reference, what's the easiest way to unroot?
    I'll have an Ice Cream Sandwich with Jelly Beans on the side. Oh, and can I get a slice of Key Lime Pie?
    sqa4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by netstars22 View Post
    Just for reference, what's the easiest way to unroot?
    Hopefully this will work. I haven't tried yet.
    Megan Arlitz likes this.

I wonder how long it will take for Scott to come up with a rom based off what ever they throw out? I really don't want to go back to stock again. ..

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

I have followed this thread and am happily running CleanROM 3.3 on my ATT GN2. I have it set up and tweaked just the way I want it and couldn't be more pleased. I understand that CleanROM has been updated to 3.5. How would I go about updating to the newest version of CleanROM...and...keep all my user data, system settings, etc...just as I have it set now?

That would suck. Just got a new Honda Accord and it has bluetooth. Love being hands free without having a thing in my ear. I don't even like using earbuds to listen to music

Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn View Post
    I have followed this thread and am happily running CleanROM 3.3 on my ATT GN2. I have it set up and tweaked just the way I want it and couldn't be more pleased. I understand that CleanROM has been updated to 3.5. How would I go about updating to the newest version of CleanROM...and...keep all my user data, system settings, etc...just as I have it set now?
    Can you just flash with the new rom, Override the old rom?

Or maybe back up, flash, then restore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

All I did was download to sd, went into twrp, did a backup, cleared the cache and davilik, and flashed it. I don't think I did a factory reset on that one.

But after that, I made sure it was working right and then went back into twrp and created a 3.5 backup.

Default Re: ***How To Root***

If I wasn't so scared to root. I would. I just don't want to screw anything up. And that restore thing is that really full proof. If I needed work done to the phone..

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Arlitz View Post
    If I wasn't so scared to root. I would. I just don't want to screw anything up. And that restore thing is that really full proof. If I needed work done to the phone..
    Nothing to be scared of... Really. The most tedious thing that I found was loading the drivers (Samsung Kies) on my creaky old laptop, so I could connect my GN2 with Odin. The rest was easy. Read the posts in this thread and watch the You Tube videos and you will be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    Megan Arlitz likes this.

I may give it a try later. And I may need some help. I don't understand the tweaking it part, with the roms. I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
    All I did was download to sd, went into twrp, did a backup, cleared the cache and davilik, and flashed it. I don't think I did a factory reset on that one.

But after that, I made sure it was working right and then went back into twrp and created a 3.5 backup.

Thanks.
    I did the same and notice battery improved. I alsi switched to Nova launcher and it's awesome.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [AT&T][GALAXY NOTE 2] ***How To Root***-uploadfromtaptalk1356855675158.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sqa4life View Post
    Thanks.
    I did the same and notice battery improved. I alsi switched to Nova launcher and it's awesome.

Yes, I noticed that also with the battery but thought that I was imagining things. Thanks for confirming your findings. It helps much!

And I am running nova also and love it. It is just taking a bit getting used to with all the options. Did you download his wallpapers? They are cool and a lot of them.

Does anyone think there will be a way to root this phone without having to install a custom rom? I tend to sell my phones after using them for a while and have had more headaches than success when it comes to selling phones with custom roms/bootloaders on them and would like to stick with stock

You don't have to install the rom in order to root. They are two separate process.

Sent using Note II

What? The way i was reading it i needed to do 1 to do the other

Yes, there is a correlation, but it's the opposite. In order to install a rom, you have to have root access.

But you don't have to install a rom after you root. From the way I understand, some people root to install ROMS (from what I've seen this is most, including myself), but some do it for running apps or more control over their device. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, as i am new to rooting, etc so easily. It really is fun and brings a sense of control not given by providers when you can't purchase devices outright at the time.

Sent using Note II
    sqa4life likes this.

Yes, there is a correlation, but it's the opposite. In order to install a rom, you have to have root access.

But you don't have to install a rom after you root. From the way I understand, some people root to install ROMS (from what I've seen this is most, including myself), but some do it for running apps or more control over their device. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, as i am new to rooting, etc so easily. It really is fun and brings a sense of control not given by providers when you can't purchase devices outright at the time.

Sent using Note II
    1++

You can unroot to reset your phone back to factory too. Search.

I am a new GN2 user, switching from iPhone, and thanks to this thread - I have rooted, and twrp'd.
    Then, going to Scotts, .
    Anyone else tried this? Also, what are the drawbacks of using internal storage instead of sd to flash?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Protoplazm View Post
    I am a new GN2 user, switching from iPhone, and thanks to this thread - I have rooted, and twrp'd.
    Then, going to Scotts, .
    Anyone else tried this? Also, what are the drawbacks of using internal storage instead of sd to flash?

Thanks!
    Lol, I'm downloading it now, thank you! I was wondering how long it would take before he dropped one. My, the beauty of root! As soon as it's done downloading I will be flashing!

And the disadvantage of using internal is that you can't store your backups and rom files in a way that if something happened to your phone/device and you had to wipe it (or, Lord forbid it wiped itself), you would have to both re download the build and also completely start from scratch. Oh, and my backups have ranged from 1.8 to 2.0 gigs in size, so it would chew up your device memory quick!

You know, I wonder, with an otg cable, could we use it to store and flash? I just bought one and an curious...

Sent using Note II

Lol, I'm downloading it now, thank you! I was wondering how long it would take before he dropped one. My, the beauty of root! As soon as it's done downloading I will be flashing!

And the disadvantage of using internal is that you can't store your backups and rom files in a way that if something happened to your phone/device and you had to wipe it (or, Lord forbid it wiped itself), you would have to both re download the build and also completely start from scratch. Oh, and my backups have ranged from 1.8 to 2.0 gigs in size, so it would chew up your device memory quick!

You know, I wonder, with an otg cable, could we use it to store and flash? I just bought one and an curious...

Sent using Note II
    MatroxD - Didn't see a "You're Welcome!" button, but you're welcome!

Like to know about the OTG cable myself. Found this:

Quote Originally Posted by Protoplazm View Post
    MatroxD - Didn't see a "You're Welcome!" button, but you're welcome!

Like to know about the OTG cable myself. Found this:
    Lol, for as little as they cost, it's probably not even worth the crimping time, unless you just wanted to do it. And wish me luck, the download is done! I may play for a few, but I should be back within ten!

Sent using Note II
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast