Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: [AT&T][GALAXY NOTE 2] ***How To Root***

Quote Originally Posted by Protoplazm View Post
    I am a new GN2 user, switching from iPhone, and thanks to this thread - I have rooted, and twrp'd.
    Then, going to Scotts, .
    Anyone else tried this? Also, what are the drawbacks of using internal storage instead of sd to flash?

Thanks!
    It's pretty fast. The only thing it didn't do was load my custom boot animation. I will have to restart and try to load it again.

Update: I don't believe this version supports the custom boots since it's not just cleanROM now and it's changed to "att se". But I could be wrong with my little hypothesis. But it's very fast and even more responsive. Now, only to see the battery life.

Sent using Note II
    Last edited by MatroxD; 01-02-2013 at 07:33 PM.

really noobin out here - Looked for 'How To' on copying Rom to sd, coming up short. How do you copy the AT&T se or any CleanRom for that matter so that you can flash?

edit: DOH! typcial noob - got my GN2 two days ago and I started 12 hrs ago perusing threads & videos on the world of rooting, twrping, and roming. I kept phreaking over how to get the rom onto the sd so I could flash it.

Minor detail neglected was you have to copy the rom zip to the sd card. Finally, I just did it from a slot on my usb hub, then dragged the zip over to the sd card, then installed the sd card back in the phone, booted to twrp, backed up, wiped, factory reset, re-booted to twrp, installed from sd and voila!

Thanks again to these threads!

+bunches

edit: and btw, phone is very smooth, fast, and responsive at the touch of a....well,a finger!
    Last edited by Protoplazm; 01-03-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    MatroxD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
    It's pretty fast. The only thing it didn't do was load my custom boot animation. I will have to restart and try to load it again.

Update: I don't believe this version supports the custom boots since it's not just cleanROM now and it's changed to "att se". But I could be wrong with my little hypothesis. But it's very fast and even more responsive. Now, only to see the battery life.

Sent using Note II
    I wonder if this att build is any better than cleanROM 3.5?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sqa4life View Post
    I wonder if this att build is any better than cleanROM 3.5?

Honestly, in a way yes and in a way no. It's a little quicker, but it also doesn't respect my boot animations and there are a few little glitches with the settings menu. It may just be me and my device.

Not sure.

Sent using Note II

I tried out the attROM. It's smooth, but it's eating up memory faster than cleanROM 3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by sqa4life View Post
    I tried out the attROM. It's smooth, but it's eating up memory faster than cleanROM 3.5.

Yeah, I reverted myself also. That clean 3.5 is hard to beat. The only thing that is faster to me is running it with the other kernel(perseaus) option.

With that one, you can overclock, etc. So it makes it snappy!

Are you running the custom boot animations? They are cool!

Sent using Note II

Just installed CleanRom ACE 4.0.5 and it's running like a dream so far, although I hadn't used any 3.x before. Following the videos on page 3 helped a lot. (Even though versions may be different).
    UsedName likes this.

Thumbs up Re: [AT&T][GALAXY NOTE 2] ***How To Root***

Quote Originally Posted by morbidchemical View Post
    Just installed CleanRom ACE 4.0.5 and it's running like a dream so far, although I hadn't used any 3.x before. Following the videos on page 3 helped a lot. (Even though versions may be different).
    I'm happy that those videos helped you out....I know it did for this newbie.

if I root and install a ROM, Do I lose all my games and music and such, like progress in games?

Amazing.

Nope, not at all. All you'll get is goodness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifftech2K13 View Post
    if I root and install a ROM, Do I lose all my games and music and such, like progress in games?

Quote Originally Posted by Grifftech2K13 View Post
    You will have to back-up all that data.
    After rooting download Titanium backup or any other back up app if you would like to keep that data.

Quote Originally Posted by UsedName View Post
    You will have to back-up all that data.
    After rooting download Titanium backup or any other back up app if you would like to keep that data.
    wouldnt I need to backup before I root or do I backup befor installing custom rom?

Back-up after rooting....
    I would suggest to watch the videos on page 3.

Read the first post on this thread and all of it's contents and the videos a few times.... it helped me!
    I'm a noob to rooting & flashing as well but I took my time understanding and finally got the grasp of rooting & flashing.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Hi,

Newcomer to the Android world and the gn2. I understand that the stock roms have issues with enabling voice commands via BT headset. Has anyone experienced these problems and would a custom rom solve this?

Ps I'm loving the platform and the phone!

Hey,

I'm new to Android as well.. and I've been loving it this far. I should have gotten a smartphone earlier.

This tread is a Godsend for me.. between this thread and other bits and pieces, its like everything is finally coming together for me. This is the way I understand it, simplified, with all the steps you need to do to safely install a new rom. Please someone with some experience correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Root your phone! Easy (This needs to be done before anything else and there is little to no risk as long as you do it correctly for your phone model)
    2. Get Clockworkmod or TWRP to create a full back-up of what your phone looks like- This is like a system restore in case anything was to happen- I prefer mine on an external sd card due to making sure it doesn't get wiped and it takes up a lot of space.
    3. Get Titanium back-up or some other backup app and backup your system apps. This basically takes all your settings/ apps/ memory of apps (game scores, ect) and saves them. This way after you install your new rom, just get titanium backup and you can restore your phone with all the apps it used to have much quicker.
    4. Install your new rom- more detailed info. on page 3 of this forum. with Videos. Copy ROM to storage, Reboot to Recovery, Recommend Factory Reset in Recovery, Flash ROM and Select Options, reboot.
    5. Get your titanium backup restored.
    6. If anything goes wrong, you always have a backup of your system from clockworkmod or TWRP.

I have one question though: In my step 4. When you install your new rom, and do a factory reset- will that erase stored data for Titanium back up or for CWM/TWRP if it is on your internal memory? Or does it not erase that. Cause if it erases it, then whats the point in even having it.

Please correct me if I'm incorrect in any of this. As I've said, I'm a beginner with low experience.

Will this work on a Samsung galaxy note II clone?

Quote Originally Posted by UsedName View Post
    OK Guys,
    I found these videos on youtube and think this is the best way to see and learn how to Root and install TWRP custom recovery and CleanROM 3.3.
    I'm a very visual learner and hope this helps anyone who are the same!

Step 1:
    How to Root - Fast & Simple!

Step 2:
    Install Custom Recovery TWRP 2.3 How to - It's Easy & FREE!

Step 3:
    Installing CleanROM 3.3 Part 1 - Must Watch..then Enjoy!

Part 2 Installing ROM and ENJOY!!

Hope this helps beginners and visual learners like ME!!
    Will this work on a Galaxy Note II clone?

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RapMiggyPups View Post
    Will this work on a Galaxy Note II clone?
    Can you share a link for the Galaxy Note II clone?

First of all thank you helping out all of us here.

I have samsung note 2 and no carrier based, i am using airtel (india) . I used cwm recovery and odin to root which was smooth as butter then i tried to flash rom(clean rom 5.0) which was also completed with out any hickup but now i could not see my sim card and no network , is there a way i can go back to starting point, i tried restore from ext sd card it is saying "cant mount ext sd card". i wanna go to orginal stock . kindly some body help me
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234