[AT&T][GALAXY NOTE 2] ***How To Root***

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
All I did was download to sd, went into twrp, did a backup, cleared the cache and davilik, and flashed it. I don't think I did a factory reset on that one.

But after that, I made sure it was working right and then went back into twrp and created a 3.5 backup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Megan Arlitz

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: ***How To Root***

If I wasn't so scared to root. I would. I just don't want to screw anything up. And that restore thing is that really full proof. If I needed work done to the phone..

cgordonn

May 4, 2011
Visit site
If I wasn't so scared to root. I would. I just don't want to screw anything up. And that restore thing is that really full proof. If I needed work done to the phone..

Nothing to be scared of... Really. The most tedious thing that I found was loading the drivers (Samsung Kies) on my creaky old laptop, so I could connect my GN2 with Odin. The rest was easy. Read the posts in this thread and watch the You Tube videos and you will be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
All I did was download to sd, went into twrp, did a backup, cleared the cache and davilik, and flashed it. I don't think I did a factory reset on that one.

But after that, I made sure it was working right and then went back into twrp and created a 3.5 backup.

Thanks.
I did the same and notice battery improved. I alsi switched to Nova launcher and it's awesome.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356855675158.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356855675158.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 21

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.
I did the same and notice battery improved. I alsi switched to Nova launcher and it's awesome.

Yes, I noticed that also with the battery but thought that I was imagining things. Thanks for confirming your findings. It helps much!

And I am running nova also and love it. It is just taking a bit getting used to with all the options. Did you download his wallpapers? They are cool and a lot of them.

rexxcastle

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone think there will be a way to root this phone without having to install a custom rom? I tend to sell my phones after using them for a while and have had more headaches than success when it comes to selling phones with custom roms/bootloaders on them and would like to stick with stock

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there is a correlation, but it's the opposite. In order to install a rom, you have to have root access.

But you don't have to install a rom after you root. From the way I understand, some people root to install ROMS (from what I've seen this is most, including myself), but some do it for running apps or more control over their device. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, as i am new to rooting, etc so easily. It really is fun and brings a sense of control not given by providers when you can't purchase devices outright at the time.

Sent using Note II

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there is a correlation, but it's the opposite. In order to install a rom, you have to have root access.

But you don't have to install a rom after you root. From the way I understand, some people root to install ROMS (from what I've seen this is most, including myself), but some do it for running apps or more control over their device. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, as i am new to rooting, etc so easily. It really is fun and brings a sense of control not given by providers when you can't purchase devices outright at the time.

Sent using Note II

1++

You can unroot to reset your phone back to factory too. Search.

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I am a new GN2 user, switching from iPhone, and thanks to this thread - I have rooted, and twrp'd.
Then, going to Scotts, I noticed this new AT&T Special Edition ROM.
Anyone else tried this? Also, what are the drawbacks of using internal storage instead of sd to flash?

Thanks!

Lol, I'm downloading it now, thank you! I was wondering how long it would take before he dropped one. My, the beauty of root! As soon as it's done downloading I will be flashing! :D

And the disadvantage of using internal is that you can't store your backups and rom files in a way that if something happened to your phone/device and you had to wipe it (or, Lord forbid it wiped itself), you would have to both re download the build and also completely start from scratch. Oh, and my backups have ranged from 1.8 to 2.0 gigs in size, so it would chew up your device memory quick!

You know, I wonder, with an otg cable, could we use it to store and flash? I just bought one and an curious...

Sent using Note II

Protoplazm

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Lol, I'm downloading it now, thank you! I was wondering how long it would take before he dropped one. My, the beauty of root! As soon as it's done downloading I will be flashing! :D

And the disadvantage of using internal is that you can't store your backups and rom files in a way that if something happened to your phone/device and you had to wipe it (or, Lord forbid it wiped itself), you would have to both re download the build and also completely start from scratch. Oh, and my backups have ranged from 1.8 to 2.0 gigs in size, so it would chew up your device memory quick!

You know, I wonder, with an otg cable, could we use it to store and flash? I just bought one and an curious...

Sent using Note II
MatroxD - Didn't see a "You're Welcome!" button, but you're welcome!

Like to know about the OTG cable myself. Found this: how-to-make-your-own-usb-otg-cable-for-an-android-smartphone

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I am a new GN2 user, switching from iPhone, and thanks to this thread - I have rooted, and twrp'd.
Then, going to Scotts, I noticed this new AT&T Special Edition ROM.
Anyone else tried this? Also, what are the drawbacks of using internal storage instead of sd to flash?

Thanks!

It's pretty fast. The only thing it didn't do was load my custom boot animation. I will have to restart and try to load it again.

Update: I don't believe this version supports the custom boots since it's not just cleanROM now and it's changed to "att se". But I could be wrong with my little hypothesis. But it's very fast and even more responsive. Now, only to see the battery life.

Sent using Note II

Last edited:

Protoplazm

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
really noobin out here - Looked for 'How To' on copying Rom to sd, coming up short. How do you copy the AT&T se or any CleanRom for that matter so that you can flash?

edit: DOH! typcial noob - got my GN2 two days ago and I started 12 hrs ago perusing threads & videos on the world of rooting, twrping, and roming. I kept phreaking over how to get the rom onto the sd so I could flash it.

Minor detail neglected was you have to copy the rom zip to the sd card. Finally, I just did it from a slot on my usb hub, then dragged the zip over to the sd card, then installed the sd card back in the phone, booted to twrp, backed up, wiped, factory reset, re-booted to twrp, installed from sd and voila!

Thanks again to these threads!

+bunches

edit: and btw, phone is very smooth, fast, and responsive at the touch of a....well,a finger!

Last edited:

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty fast. The only thing it didn't do was load my custom boot animation. I will have to restart and try to load it again.

Update: I don't believe this version supports the custom boots since it's not just cleanROM now and it's changed to "att se". But I could be wrong with my little hypothesis. But it's very fast and even more responsive. Now, only to see the battery life.

Sent using Note II

I wonder if this att build is any better than cleanROM 3.5?

MatroxD

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this att build is any better than cleanROM 3.5?

Honestly, in a way yes and in a way no. It's a little quicker, but it also doesn't respect my boot animations and there are a few little glitches with the settings menu. It may just be me and my device.

Not sure.

Sent using Note II

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried out the attROM. It's smooth, but it's eating up memory faster than cleanROM 3.5.